Thread: Humidifier Issues

Fightingwings

Default Humidifier Issues

Hello. I am having some slight issues with my current humidifier. I have the Repti-fogger, and while it works great for short term it is not so great for running all day. Living in alaska means that my tank dries out a lot quicker than other places. If I leave the repti-fogger on for more than an hour or so, on its lowest setting, the fine mist completely fills up the tank. So much so that you can't even see into it. If I leave it off, then when I come home the humidity in the tank is at around 40%. I was looking at getting the Zoo Med Habba Mist, but there are a lot of negetive reviews about it. Does anyone know of a good humidifier that I should get?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Humidifier Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingwings View Post
    Hello. I am having some slight issues with my current humidifier. I have the Repti-fogger, and while it works great for short term it is not so great for running all day. Living in alaska means that my tank dries out a lot quicker than other places. If I leave the repti-fogger on for more than an hour or so, on its lowest setting, the fine mist completely fills up the tank. So much so that you can't even see into it. If I leave it off, then when I come home the humidity in the tank is at around 40%. I was looking at getting the Zoo Med Habba Mist, but there are a lot of negetive reviews about it. Does anyone know of a good humidifier that I should get?
    Keep the Reptifogger and buy the Zoo Med Hygrotherm Humidity and temp control unit. Its worth the money and will automatically turn the fogger on when the humidity drops below your set level and once it reaches that level it turns the fogger off.

Fightingwings

Okay.Thank you very much

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fightingwings View Post
    Sounds like your problem is to keep the humidity stable, rather than needing a new fogger. They all work in the same way, so getting a new one is unnecessary and it will result in the same thing. Getting a humidity-stat will not help you either, since it will just make sure it's on almost all the time, if the humidity levels drops so quickly. What you want to do is to make sure you can maintain a certain level of humidity when the fogger is off (and just humidified the tank). Either make a better top (that won't allow as much water to escape) or add lots of live plants.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    Sounds like your problem is to keep the humidity stable, rather than needing a new fogger. They all work in the same way, so getting a new one is unnecessary and it will result in the same thing. Getting a humidity-stat will not help you either, since it will just make sure it's on almost all the time, if the humidity levels drops so quickly. What you want to do is to make sure you can maintain a certain level of humidity when the fogger is off (and just humidified the tank). Either make a better top (that won't allow as much water to escape) or add lots of live plants.
    A piece of plexiglass with air holes drilled in it will help hold heat and humidity in the tank which is what Martin is implying. Which is always a good idea. In a pinch you can cover 2/3 or 3/4 of the screen top with plastic wrapp. Just make sure if you are using a heat lamp that you leave enough space so the light isn't sittin directly on the plastic wrap.

A humidity control unit will help maintain levels by running everytime it drops below the set level. The Hygrother allows you to give some leway as well. So you can set it to not kick on if it only drops 4% or so below your set humidity level. I have the Hygrotherm unit and have no issues. It runs whenever humidity drops below my settings with some leway allowed.

Thread Information