Thread: Little frog - not quite right, what to do? =(

rosequoll

Default Little frog - not quite right, what to do? =(

Hey guys, looking for some objective opinions here, as I'm stressing a bit.

Got 6 little magnificent tree frog morphs last week. 4 of the 6 are AMAZING. Very active, eat like pigs. The biggest is an absolute garbage disposal, she eats crickets like a velociraptor. It's amazing to see her leap from the far side of the tank straight into the cricket bowl.

2 of the 6 are small, but Mac (larger of the two tiny ones) is doing okay. He's chubby enough so I know he's eating, he's always in a new spot each morning so I know he's hopping around and moving.

The problem is Tiny Tim, my littlest guy. He's got a club foot (front left leg) and doesn't climb very well. No wall climbing, but he can get up on the side of the little plant pots or the base of the climbing vine. The issue is that he doesn't move. At all, really. He'll sit in the same corner and be in the same spot for well over 24 hours, just sleeping or spacing out.

I've seen him eat one cricket in the last week because i placed him *in* the cricket bowl, but other than that he hasn't moved unless I actually moved him. I'm trying not to bother him at all because I don't want to stress him, but I did have to move him today to clean out the tank.

My worry right now is that he obviously ate in the past, as he's not DEAD, but he's not thriving. He can't climb up high to bask in the light or find a good hiding place. I'm scared that if he falls in the water dish he'll drown (I've placed rocks in the water so he can crawl out if required).

Where do I go from here? He's not SICK, his colour is good, but he wont eat from tongs and he's barely interested in eating on his own. I'm trying to work out what the best thing for HIM is at this point.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BadKat

Default Re: Little frog - not quite right, what to do? =(

Hello,

First of all, I'll tell you that I don't even own a frog...yet. I am not familiar with any of their medical issues.

(That was my legal disclaimer )

Anyway, from what I've learned of animals is that they tend to ostracize any animal that is different from the norm. (Albino, injured, etc.) Many species will even attack or kill the odd man out. In the wild these animals go off on their own and struggle to survive, many don't make it.

Since Tim can't do this my suggestion (and it might be a really bad one), would be to try setting him up in his own little home where he can gimp around by himself without all the other frogs pointing and laughing at him.

I'm sure you'll probably get some suggestions that are from much more experienced people but that's my 1/2 cent.
    Last edited by BadKat; March 21st, 2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Clarification

Thread Information