Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My luck has been the worst lately :(

S13

Default My luck has been the worst lately :(

The White's I got alittle over a week ago has completely ignored food for the past 2 feeding attempts, so 4 days. At first it wasn't eating out of the glass bowl placed in the terrarium and I managed to get it to eat in separate container 3 times. Past 2 attempts neither the glass bowl or separate container are working, just ignores them. In the separate container, they even crawl all over him and does nothing. Also, for the life of me, I cannot find any poop. I don't know if I should tear the terrarium apart in search of any or what. I haven't seen any in the water dish either. Starting to worry. Daytime temps range from 75-80 and 70-75 at night, humidity stays between 60-80, mist with distilled water, spring water for soaking. Is there anything I can do if he isnt pooping? Warm soak?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

KingCam

Default Re: My luck has been the worst lately :(

What are you offering him? Some frogs are picky eaters. Have you tried alternative food sources? Maybe he's protein or calcium deficient and craving a small warm pinkie.

If you're offering crickets try roaches. If he's refusing roaches can you try a different species? Some roaches excrete a defensive smell/chemical that the frogs don't like.

Also, make sure not to leave crickets with him. If he lets them crawl on him they could start to attack him, if he proves to be weak.

S13

I just offer crickets. The last feeding that he actually ate was dusted with calcium. I'm not sure where I can find alternative food sources here. I can start trying the local pet shops, 1 in particular deals more with herps. When I saw that they started to crawl on him, it was about 15 mins after being in there, I just took him out immediately and put him back in the terrarium and but the crickets back in their container.

KingCam

Quote Originally Posted by S13 View Post
    I just offer crickets. The last feeding that he actually ate was dusted with calcium. I'm not sure where I can find alternative food sources here. I can start trying the local pet shops, 1 in particular deals more with herps. When I saw that they started to crawl on him, it was about 15 mins after being in there, I just took him out immediately and put him back in the terrarium and but the crickets back in their container.
    Well you definitely did the right thing by separating him from the crickets as soon as they started crawling on him. I will be happy to send you some lobster roaches, free of charge. PM me for details.

Also, I have a good friend that lives in Texas. She breeds several species of roach and feeder insects. I'm sure she'd be happy to sell you some for a very reasonable price. I can contact her for you if you'd like.

It's possible the calcium powder turned your frog off. I think that stuff is kinda bitter. My grey tree frogs spit their food out at first when I first started using powder.

My younger brother's monitor lizard started refusing crickets suddenly one day. He refused food for weeks and weeks. He finally offered a squirming pinkie mouse and the monitor gobbled it up! I would try this with your frog if you can. Make sure the pinkie is not wider than the space between your frogs eyeballs, or you risk impaction.

S13

That would be awesome man. Thank you. I'm honestly getting tired of crickets anyway. Also I don't know about the pinky. He's not a baby but not full grown either. Here's a few pictures.

KingCam

That would be awesome man. Thank you. I'm honestly getting tired of crickets anyway. Also I don't know about the pinky. He's not a baby but not full grown either. Here's a few pictures.
    I can't really tell how big your frog is, but 1-day old pinkies are incredibly small. Sometimes you can buy a pregnant female and wait for her to give birth. Sometimes you can just get lucky and buy 1-day olds, but you almost always have to ask for them.

I'd be happy to send you enough lobster roaches (Nauphoeta cinerea) to start a colony. If I were you I would google how to culture lobster roaches, and also feeding techniques. These roaches climb, so you have to make sure they won't escape your tank and get loose in your house. I use forceps to feed my frogs by hand, one roach at a time.

S13

That would be incredibly awesome. I can probably get my red eye on those roaches too. Can the glass bowl trick work or they can climb that also? Also, if I try a pinky this week do I dangle it in his face or just leave it a container with him?

Edit: nvm, started doing some reading. They can climb glass lol.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

With all that moss in his enclosure you probably don't want to feed him in there. Huge impaction risk. If you don't use a glass bowl. Whit's are voratious eaters and can accidentally eat some moss. If you have found no poop you may try a warm Honey soak. You can also try a warm Pedialyte bath. Just be sure its Unflavored Pedialyte. Its a 10 to 1 ratio so 1oz Pedialyte for every 10oz of water. 15 to 20 minute duration.

S13

Yeah I have been strictly feeding in glass bowls/separate containers because I do like using moss for moisture retention. I'm sure no moss has been ingested because I only feed in the bowl or container. I'll try the honey soak tonight. I just recently bought a bottle of honey.

Mine stopped eating again too, I am at my wits end though. Hes been going on this down ward spiral since December of last year. I spent over 800.00 on vet bills for them to tell me the next step would be surgery! I am not doing that to him, I don't know whats up with mine either. All I keep hearing is its his age, might be time to go stuff!!!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

S13

I'm sorry to hear Blue. Well hey 15 years is a good run, he was loved and cared for, for 15 solid years. You should be happy and proud of that I'll be hoping for the best for little Hetfield though.

S13

I'm thinking about completely removing the moss tonight and letting a few crickets run freely in the tank, see if it sparks his interest in hunting them.

I'm sorry to hear Blue. Well hey 15 years is a good run, he was loved and cared for, for 15 solid years. You should be happy and proud of that I'll be hoping for the best for little Hetfield though.

I think you are my good luck charm! Hetfield ate a cricket on his own!!!! I had him in a stand alone clear tank with a dusted cricket and waited about 15 mins, it crawled all over him at first them BAM, he got him!!!! Good luck hun!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

S13

awesome! here's to hoping the luck continues. My little guy/gal woke up while I was removing the moss from the tank just staring at me lol. I now have 3 crickets running around in the viv and 3 in a small bowl so I'm hoping something will get eaten tonight. *crossing my fingers*

KingCam

awesome! here's to hoping the luck continues. My little guy/gal woke up while I was removing the moss from the tank just staring at me lol. I now have 3 crickets running around in the viv and 3 in a small bowl so I'm hoping something will get eaten tonight. *crossing my fingers*
    Any luck?

S13

Naw, I peeked at him at 5am and he was soaking his bottom in the water dish. Woke up at around 11am to find no crickets missing. 3 were still in the bowl and I found 2 roaming around the tank, didnt see the 3rd one i left in the tank but I'm sure its hiding some where. I removed what I found and put'em back in the cricket container. :\

Kristen

Naw, I peeked at him at 5am and he was soaking his bottom in the water dish. Woke up at around 11am to find no crickets missing. 3 were still in the bowl and I found 2 roaming around the tank, didnt see the 3rd one i left in the tank but I'm sure its hiding some where. I removed what I found and put'em back in the cricket container. :\
    Too bad :/
    I hope he eats soon, Good Luck!

S13

Thanks Kristen, It's only been 5 days so my worry level is pretty low still, once I reach the 2 week mark and still hasn't eaten, the worry level will be through the roof. But I'm hoping She'll eat something by the weekend. I'm going to start referring to her as "she" until I hear a call

Yea I hope your little one eats soon too. It's the worst feeling when they don't eat and you can't do a damn thing about it! I feel so helpless half the time with him!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If he/she is new it may take a week or more to settle in. You may want to try a UNFLAVORED Pedialyte soak. It may help.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information