Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My luck has been the worst lately :(

KingCam

Default Re: My luck has been the worst lately :(

Quote Originally Posted by S13 View Post
    My roomate would lose her mind if she knew a few thousand roaches are in there LOL. Hey man is there any place I can pick up cardboard egg flats without ordering online? Would any stores carry them locally?
    That's a good question, I don't really know. Farm supply stores usually carry them. Craft stores might have something that would work. I save paper towel tubes to keep mine in. I ordered a bunch of egg flats from ebay, but I don't use them. It's easier to knock roaches into a cup using paper towel tubes. You can use wadded up paper, as well. Cut up pieces of cardboard from boxes work. I try to avoid stuff with lots of ink or glue on it. Old fake plants work well for them. Basically anything that will provide crawling/sitting space is fine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

S13

Yeah I saw your vid and saw the paper towel tubes, I started to save mine when I saw that. I'll search around the apartment to see what will work. Also, with Easter coming up, I can prob just buy a good amount of eggs in the cardboard flats and knock out two birds with one stone

KingCam

Yeah I saw your vid and saw the paper towel tubes, I started to save mine when I saw that. I'll search around the apartment to see what will work. Also, with Easter coming up, I can prob just buy a good amount of eggs in the cardboard flats and knock out two birds with one stone
    There ya go, that'll work :P I forgot I showed you that video

S13

I just tracked it and it said it was delivered but to the front office. Hopefully they can hold out one more night and I'll get them first thing tmrw.

S13

all the roaches were goners upon arrival. :\

KingCam

all the roaches were goners upon arrival. :\
    Son of a b****! I knew I put too many in there. They must have suffocated. I'll pack another one with far less roaches in it.

S13

Yeah, it was pretty gross LOL. I was going to reply back on FB but I had to come in to work. I keep reading about the dubias and how they are a really good feeder too. I just also read that they are kinda slow and wont spark interest.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You can buy large egg crate flats on eBay for cheap
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

S13

Ok was dreading this day, I broke down and had to force feed her :\ she was verrrrrrrrrry stubborn and I felt so bad, but I force fed 3 good size chunks of a night crawler. She probably thinks I'm the biggest A hole and scarred for life I gave a her a 10 minute pedialyte bath after ward and put her back in the tank where she looks like shes had better days. Also she made a few noises while attempting this, I'm assuming they were "do not want" distress noises. It was almost as if she was growling at me I hope she starts to eat, cuz I dont know how much longer I can do that.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok was dreading this day, I broke down and had to force feed her :\ she was verrrrrrrrrry stubborn and I felt so bad, but I force fed 3 good size chunks of a night crawler. She probably thinks I'm the biggest A hole and scarred for life I gave a her a 10 minute pedialyte bath after ward and put her back in the tank where she looks like shes had better days. Also she made a few noises while attempting this, I'm assuming they were "do not want" distress noises. It was almost as if she was growling at me I hope she starts to eat, cuz I dont know how much longer I can do that.
    Omar it is tough love. Somethinsg have to be done to save their lives. If it means forcing them to eat then so be it. When it comes to force feeding you have to be hard. You can feel bad, but do not show stress or sadness while attempting to force feed. Animals can pick up on your emotions and be stressed further. If your frog is in bad shape and not eating on its own then you must intervene and do what must be done to save her. They will show frustration and sometimes even anger, but do not let that stop you from what must be done. It is difficult, but you must be strong for her sake.

Believe me I know.

S13

Thanks for the encouraging words. Okay so now let's say she doesn't start eating? How long do I wait to attempt another force feeding?

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the encouraging words. Okay so now let's say she doesn't start eating? How long do I wait to attempt another force feeding?
    Amphibians take a long time to recover. If for some reason she is ill she may need to see a vet for meds like antibiotics and dewormer. Dewormer only if she has them. Its hard to say what is causing her not to eat. She is a baby or juvinile you could do it daily or every other day. The thing is that she will need energy to even start to hunt on her own. She looks a little thin too. You could force feed her until she begins to gain weight and then let her try on her own for a while or force feed every other day and inbetween on the day you don't force feed place food in with her and let her try on those days. She will start again, but even if she was to not start eating on her own you made a commitment when you got her. These are long term pets and should be cared for as such. So if you have to force feed her for the rest of her life you should be willing to do so.

Now I'm not saying that will happen. Almost all frogs begin to eat on their own eventually. It is just something you must be prepared for incase needs be. Chin up and take care of your little girl.

S13

Alright so nightcrawlers every other day is on the menu then. Pedialyte soaks once a week too?

Nationality
    [United States]

Alright so nightcrawlers every other day is on the menu then. Pedialyte soaks once a week too?
    That's a good start. Be sure you still dust her food when you force feed.

S13

Woke up and found this.

Is that what I think it is? Looks to be regurgitated nighcrawler. I'm pretty sure she didn't pass it like that and that fast.

KingCam

Is that what I think it is? Looks to be regurgitated nighcrawler. I'm pretty sure she didn't pass it like that and that fast.
    You may have to try turning the worm into a paste and injecting it into her mouth with a smooth plastic syringe or XL feeding tube if she keeps doing that. It's harder for them to regurgitate paste than a solid object.

InfinitysDaughter

In another thread someone suggested something like a cricket/worm smoothie that they added either vitamin powder or calcium powder (but not at the same time). Her stomach might just be so week that it cant digest large food like that. Just like if we are dehydrated or have been sick for a while we have to eat soup or "light" foods the same goes for frogs. I'd say, like Cam said, a paste or the smoothie approach and see if she keeps that down.

And if that works for a few days then when you try solid foods again, I'd try peices that are about half that size or even smaller. Those look awful big for a girl so skinny. Like I said, you wouldn't run out and eat a cheese burger after being sick for 2 weeks, or you shouldn't. You'll just make yourself sick.

Nationality
    [United States]

Squoosh them up, add a bit of dechlor water and syringe feed for a few days. He should be string enough then to eat the cut pieces.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

S13

Yeah it looks so big because it was 3 small pieces fused together. Guess I have to invest in a blender D:

KingCam

Yeah it looks so big because it was 3 small pieces fused together. Guess I have to invest in a blender D:
    Meh, I would just use a spoon to mash them up real good. You'd have to blend way more worms than your frog will ever eat for a blender to be effective.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information