Thread: I've jumped into the pond

Tropicok

Default I've jumped into the pond

The local reptile store has a Tiger-legged monkey frog and I have told the owner I would be out in the next day or two to pick it up. Now I have to get the tank ready. I guess he will live in a plastic shoebox until that task is done. Talked at length today with the amphibian guy at the Zoo and he thinks I made a good decision. The store owner is a long time friend of mine so I know I won't get a frog with an unknown history. I am very excited with this new critter adventure.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I've jumped into the pond

What type of tiger legged frog? and congrats they are on my list.

Kurt

Congratulations. I have had mine almost 10 years now.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Wow Kurt..10 years, That's awesome. I'm half way there

Tropicok, Congratulations, I'll be looking out for the photo's when you get them.

Tropicok

Phyllomedusa hypochondrialis, it's the brown one in the pics on Meet the Frog. Two questions:
    1) What is the difference in the colors in those pics, green and/or brown?
    2) What kind of little tree would be good in the frog's terrarium? At the Zoo they use ficus a lot.
    OOPs! Third question, Tom, do you know what the scientific name means, I can't find a reference. All we could put together is: bigger or more than & ligaments.

Kurt

1. Lighting and enviroment can affect the appearence of most frogs, and Phyllomedusa hypochondrialis is no exception. Also the brown tiger-legged monkey in the Meet the Frog article is my 10 year old frog. Picture was taken in March of 2007.

2. Doesn't matter that much as long as it is safe.

3. Well, this was pointed at Tom so I will let him answer.

Tropicok

After racing around Oklahoma City and buying supplies (tropical plants, $1.99 ea. sale), rocks, soil, a piece of cork at an outrageous price, and, of course, the frog, I'm set up at the moment. Naturally I'm not pleased with the landscape of the tank but will leave it for a while so the poor frog is not so stressed out he has a stroke. My biggest fear factor is how to heat the tank without cooking the frog. I have a small ZooMed heat pad underneath the tank but needs something very low wattage on top just to reach 72 degrees. I sweat a lot for a old girl so I have to keep house cool. I guess it's back to the store for a low wattage bulb. All I have around here are high heat stuff for the redfoot torts. Any suggestions? and anyone can answer my Latin question, even you Kurt.

Kurt

Maybe. OK this is what I know, hypochondrialis refers to a reduction in cartilage. Phyllo means leaf, Medudsa was a snake-haired monster of Greek mythology, how they fit together I have yet to figure out.

Tropicok

Thanks for the explanation. I too am puzzled how the name was put together but lot's of scientific names are weird. Now if you will just tell me how to find the picture I posted. It took me an hour and one post was a mistake.

Kurt

Check your albums.

Tropicok

OK, now how do I find another tiger-legged monkey tree frog? They seem kinda scarce on Kingsnake Classifieds. Haven't even finished the landscaping in my first tank and already shopping for a mate. And have wanted a dart frog set up for years and years so will be doing that next. A friend showed me a new ZooMed waterfall kit that I like.

Kurt

Just be patient, they will come around again.

Tropicok

Redid my terrarium this a.m. with coir, reptile bark and frog moss added. Made a deeper substrate, several mounds and valleys for interest, planted the plants, put back the stones "artistically." The technique I learned at the OKC Zoo is to remove the frog and plant together and place it in another lidded container, never touching the frog. I'm much happier with my little jungle. TLTF was brown while on substrate but back to green sitting on his leaf.

Nationality
    [United States]

OKC?? I have no clue what this is/where.

Tropicok

Oklahoma City Zoo. Homepage - Oklahoma City Zoo

Thread Information