Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to treat Wc Cornuta?

coastal20

Default How to treat Wc Cornuta?

So i just bought 2 wc green C. Cornutas and they will be here tomorrow. Could i get some help on the right way to treat these guys? Should i just treat for chytrid or use a dewormer too? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How to treat Wc Cornuta?

Quote Originally Posted by coastal20 View Post
    So i just bought 2 wc green C. Cornutas and they will be here tomorrow. Could i get some help on the right way to treat these guys? Should i just treat for chytrid or use a dewormer too? Thanks
    This would be a good question for Jessica of Ivory Reptiles. I don't think you would want to mix the chemicals of the Lamisyl and dewormer together. You don't know what that could do. I would treat for one and then the other.

coastal20

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    This would be a good question for Jessica of Ivory Reptiles. I don't think you would want to mix the chemicals of the Lamisyl and dewormer together. You don't know what that could do. I would treat for one and then the other.
    Thanks for the reply...So Lamisyl is to treat for chytrid? I think I will go out and buy that tonight.

IvoryReptiles

Give them a few days to settle in....they tend to like room....we have outs in 10 gallon tank with some pothos planted in coco fiber for some cover and a soaking dish. She seems very happy now.
    As far as the treatments go, I agree with Grif......do each treatment separately so they don't get chemical OD. As for the de-wormer.....make sure it is one specifically for frogs, preferably recommended by an Amphibian savvy vet.

Going to warn you now....in the wild, they are frog & lizard eaters. We tried everything and had to resort to feeding one of our froglets whose genetics were flawed physically and a Night Crawler....she took both. This is after attempts at force feeding....
    EPIC FAIL!!

She spit out everything we forced on her without fail. So after much discussion we decided to feed her the cranwelli froglet. Yes, it was hard to do even though the froglet was basically lame and not able to be offered for sale. We will soon be collecting some Gulf Coast tadpoles from our ponds to raise up for feeders. They will be treated for chytrid and de-wormed as well before being fed off.

Good Luck with your frogs.....post pics!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

When you forcefeed there is a few tricks to get them to keep it in and eat it.

Steps

1- Use a popsicle stick to open there mouth. (They can bite down on it without messing up there teeth)
    2- When you look at there tongue, you will see it end in the back. You need to push the food to the back of the tongue.
    3-Set the frog down with your fingers on the top and bottom of there mouth. ---- keeping it closed

IF THE FROGS TRIES TO SPIT IT OUT AFTER THAT DO THE STEPS BELOW

Repeat 1-3 if the food is no longer in the frogs mouth.

4- After setting the frog down, take a few fingers and push it to make it jump a few times.
    5- They usually forget about having the food in there mouth because they think they are in danger. So, leave it alone and watch it eat its food.

If you are going to force feed make it with a food item that is worth feeding. Don't forcefeed a juvie pac a cricket or earthworm. Feed it a pinky. There is more nutritional value from the pinky

IvoryReptiles

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post

Steps

1- Use a popsicle stick to open there mouth. (They can bite down on it without messing up there teeth)
    2- When you look at there tongue, you will see it end in the back. You need to push the food to the back of the tongue.
    3-Set the frog down with your fingers on the top and bottom of there mouth. ---- keeping it closed

4- After setting the frog down, take a few fingers and push it to make it jump a few times.
    5- They usually forget about having the food in there mouth because they think they are in danger. So, leave it alone and watch it eat its food.

If you are going to force feed make it with a food item that is worth feeding. Don't forcefeed a juvie pac a cricket or earthworm. Feed it a pinky. There is more nutritional value from the pinky
    We didn't force feed it the juvi pac........it took it without any coaxing. We tried force feeding a pinkie and went through all the steps........we have some experience too. She is just refusing to eat anything other than the frog...........she had the pinkie at the back of her tongue and I held her mouth closed for a minute, I even massaged her throat to get her to swallow....NO DEAL.

We have years of experience with many reptile species....as well as amphibians. I always appreciate and am open to advice because I feel that none of us ever will know everything there is to know. Thanks for the advice anyway!

Nationality
    [United States]

thats what you going to feed them wild toads because this frog are frog eaters probably once you start feeding toads they may eat worms i was going to buy one i still may
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

Nationality
    [United States]

I really like C. Cornuta, but for this exact reason is why I kind of don't want to buy one. Its hard enough feeding them live frogs since that is mainly what the live on in the Yasuni. I could do it because I'm like stone when I need to be, but I probably wouldn't be able to find feeder frogs around here. I guess once you got him/her eating you could switch to Nightcrawlers and he/she would just go ahead and eat them.

I force fed Grif for 2 months straight. Usually you don't have to place the food item that far back in their mouth. Which ofcourse I know Jess knows what she is doing. I found the easiest place to open their mouth was between the hinge of the jaw and snout on the side of their mouth. For some reason they are more inclined to open their mouth when you apply pressure there.

With the frog spitting out the food item everytime I'm not really sure if maybe he/she doesn't recongnize it as food so he/she spits it out or just plain doesn't like food placed in his/her mouth by someone else other than him/her own doing. Pacs can be so stubborn sometimes. Maybe try live pinky mice or a fuzzy. I wish Hornworms weren't so **** expensive or ide say give them a go.

pansie

how much do hornworms cost where you are grif?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by pansie View Post
    how much do hornworms cost where you are grif?
    I don't know. Of anyone around me that sells them and none of the pet stores have them so I order them from Great Lakes Hornworm. They're in Michigan so their state is right above Ohio. It takes about 2 days for me to get them and its $10.45 for a cup of 12 to 15 worms. The shipping is like $11.00 so I end up paying $22.00 for 15 worms. I would breed them myself if I could. I can get all the supplies I need for breeding from this company, but I don't have the space.

coastal20

They arrived!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]

Very beautiful Surinams.

pansie

beautiful coastal!!

coastal20

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Very beautiful Surinams.
    Thanks, I think I might try and feed the skinny one tonight. Would soaking the skinny one in a mixture of pedialyte and water help? They both already dug a hole and only have their heads showing.
    I read some article on frogforum that was about different medications to use for different illnesses. The one I was interested in is panacur c dewormer, is that safe? I really need my ecozone vivarium controller to get here soon, so many cages to keep at the right temp and humidity is a pain in the butt. lol

coastal20

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post

Steps

Thanks, I saved this on my phone for easy reference even tho I hope that I get lucky and they will eat for me.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks, I think I might try and feed the skinny one tonight. Would soaking the skinny one in a mixture of pedialyte and water help? They both already dug a hole and only have their heads showing.
    I read some article on frogforum that was about different medications to use for different illnesses. The one I was interested in is panacur c dewormer, is that safe? I really need my ecozone vivarium controller to get here soon, so many cages to keep at the right temp and humidity is a pain in the butt. lol
    The Pedialyte bath is for malnurished frogs to give them vitamins/nutrients/and electrolytes. It does spike their appetite and give them some energy, but am not sure if it will help with your WC Cornutas. It is possible, but I don't know of anyone who has tested this on new WC Cornutas. Might be worth a shot. It won't hurt them as long as its UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE at a 10 to 1 ratio. So 1oz of Pedialyte for every 10oz of water.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I was saying that juvie pac for a size reference. Not that you force fed it that.

They should always eat being forcefed.

JIvoryII

Chase, I would wait on the chytrid treatment if your going to have them in coar bedding... they are more likely to eat this way and to treat chytrid you have to keep them on clean paper towels while you treat for ten days. as for the deworming talk to a very good vet ..

also we gave ours a froglet ( that I was going to have to euthanize ) to see if it was stress or prey that was the issue to her not eatting... thou she did eat a night crawler after and has shown interest in crickets. I hope she will take to quail and/ chicks.. because I have no interest in feeding her frogs or toads..

coastal20

Ill wait to treat them till I get them feeding. The only frogs i would ever want to use as feeders would be spring peepers, they drive me nuts in the spring.

JIvoryII

LOL..

your cornuta's are beautiful greens...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information