Thread: my new White's Dumpy Tree Frog seems to be dying - HELP!!

elena

Exclamation my new White's Dumpy Tree Frog seems to be dying - HELP!!

Hi-
    I have had two frogs for a little over a month. The first is a Chubby Frog who is thriving, eating well, fairly active and gaining weight. The other is my sad little White's Dumpy Tree Frog. He is worrying us to death. He stopped eating several days ago and seems to have peeling skin. I am afraid that I had been spraying the tank with water from the tap so perhaps that is what the problem is. I have fixed that problem and will be more aware of that. This morning I cleaned the tank completely and added a large branch going up the side of the large tank so that he has a place to sit under a heat lamp. The man at the pet store thought it was not enough heat, not enough time under the UVB light or the spraying water. All those things have been fixed and I am hoping tonight he eats at least one cricket. He hasn't eaten anything in days and is very emaciated. I now have a heat lamp and UVB lamp on them, fake ivy climbing up one side of the tank with the branch leaning into it, a hiding spot of a dug out log and a water bowl (which has always had bottled water in it). What is wrong with my little little Mr. Pickles? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks so much.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kristen

Default Re: my new White's Dumpy Tree Frog seems to be dying - HELP!!

His possibly shedding for the peeling skin. How long has it been since your frog has eaten? Try putting him in a separate container for feeding to see if he eats. Frogs can go over a week without eating, so don't stress too much.

elena

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    His possibly shedding for the peeling skin. How long has it been since your frog has eaten? Try putting him in a separate container for feeding to see if he eats. Frogs can go over a week without eating, so don't stress too much.
    Hi-
    He hasn't eaten in over ten days and is extremely skinny and lethargic. He is no longer green but more brown. He is not well. I will try putting him in another container and see if he will eat... it is breaking my heart!!
    Thanks,
    Elena

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Maybe try a diluted pedialyte soak. If you do, use only the clear type. Mix 1 part pedialyte to 10 parts slightly warm dechlorinated water and set him in the water bowl with enough to cover his bottom, for about 15 to 20 minutes. It will give him nutrients and vitamins he's been lacking from not eating. You can also try gently force feeding with calcium/vita D3 dusted cricket, worm, etc.

Was the tap water dechlorinated?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

elena

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Maybe try a diluted pedialyte soak. If you do, use only the clear type. Mix 1 part pedialyte to 10 parts slightly warm dechlorinated water and set him in the water bowl with enough to cover his bottom, for about 15 to 20 minutes. It will give him nutrients and vitamins he's been lacking from not eating. You can also try gently force feeding with calcium/vita D3 dusted cricket, worm, etc.

Was the tap water dechlorinated?
    As far as I know the tap water that I was misting with was not. Now, I put drops in the water to remove the chlorine. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's likely why. Chlorine is toxic to them. Glad you're using dechlor now. His skin should slough off and new should be underneath as he heals.

I think I'd do a warm dechlorinated water soak first then to rid any excess chemicals.

You're welcome . Good luck!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by elena View Post
    Hi-
    The first is a Chubby Frog who is thriving, eating well, fairly active and gaining weight. The other is my sad little White's Dumpy Tree Frog. He is worrying us to death.
    I've read it's not wise to mix species in the same enclosure.... it may be a good idea to address that issue along with the water conditioning (which sounds like you've already taken care of).
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    I've read it's not wise to mix species in the same enclosure.... it may be a good idea to address that issue along with the water conditioning (which sounds like you've already taken care of).
    I don't think they meant they were in the same enclosure, just that they had a chubby frog also

Thread Information