Thread: What is the best substrate to keep live palnts in a tree frog terrarium

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Smile What is the best substrate to keep live palnts in a tree frog terrarium

I have looked at a lot photos lately and noticed alot of different types of plants and moss in terrariums with gray tree frogs.
    I planning on building a larg enclosure soon it will have moving water in it that will slitly filtered.
    I am woundering what kind of substrate or dirt would be the best to use to keep live plants alive and maintain live and growing moss.
    Could I get moss from a forest preserve like off a tree trunk or the ground if ido is there a way to make sure no parasits are on before introducing it into the terrarium.
    What kind of watering of the plants would be needed if any with water flowing under the substrate with use of egg crate and Zoo Med Hydroballs. where can i get egg crate material?
    I plan on using 2 Zoo Med day time uv Bulbs for day time and 2 Exo Terras night glo for nights for the lighting.
    I plan having a arrow ivy plant a rubber tree plant and Mother In Law’s Tongue plant some moss and may me bamboo in the water and maybe ferns on the waters edge and may be other plants to be determind
    Size estamat for enclosure is 18 to 20 inches deep 2 1/2 to 3 feet wide and roughly 4 feet tall allready have the cabinet and glass just did not measure it yet.

Any help full hints and suggestions please thank you and some helpfull pic would help to.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

fluffypanda

Default Re: What is the best substrate to keep live palnts in a tree frog terrarium

from my experience using the ABG mix for a substrate is the best for plants. you can buy this on joshsfrogs.com or you can make it yourself. i got my egg crate from home depot. it was in the industrial lighting section. it was $13 i think but it was a pretty big piece. I'm sure lowes will have it too.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What is the best substrate to keep live palnts in a tree frog terrarium

I agree with the above suggestions and also like to add that looking at some of the construction/build journals in the viv section will help you with some of the build process and choices in materials.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Thread Information