Thread: Rescued Garden Tree Frogs - Need some advice and Help Lost 2 already.

Nirkin

Angry Rescued Garden Tree Frogs - Need some advice and Help Lost 2 already.

My 10 tree frogs were left over from last year's spawn, but they were too young to be let go as the summer was no summer at all. Temps were down and I feared for them. Never kept frogs before but somehow I just couldn't let these little guys left out there by themselves, I felt they had to have a fighting chance. I live in the woods so wildlife is abundant. Tree frogs all around me. I started to collect the spawn from buckets and pots that got waterlogged from rains, and then they would dry out in the sun and poor little things would die. So I started to collect them and bought huge plastics tubs to keep them in.
    They were taking so much of my time to keep clean and fed but I didn't mind. I ended up last year with 9 tubs, nearly 500 or 600 tadpoles. I read somewhere that you could over winter them, so I transferred them into smaller buckets and camped out my downstairs bathroom. I still have a load, living and seemingly healthy. Hopefully they will turn this year. Back to the ones that did change. Ten of them. I read and set up an aquarium. Heat mat, flooring, water pools and plants. Plastic plants, I found that these could be cleaned better. I did have some logging material in there that I bought for them, but I removed it when it started to show signs of going moldy. I lost a little guy the other day, so small, just gave up eating. Today I went down to feed them with the new flies that arrived and horrified to find my big frog upside down dead in one of the water pools. I was devastated. My hubby thought it might be red leg, but upon investigation he clearly does not have red leg. I just don't know what could have killed him.. I took the remaining frogs out and thoroughly cleaned everything today. All clean bedding and put all the plants under boiling water to kill anything that might be on there. I am baffled. There are no other signs on him. Does this happen often? Anything to add that I can do with the others. Appetite seems to be okay. I plan on letting these guys go when the weather gets better. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Rescued Garden Tree Frogs - Need some advice and Help Lost 2 already.

I went through this last winter and now into this spring. Same story. Rescued 12 from troughs before freezing, lost 2, both of which were under care of Veterinarian who prescribed Flagyl and Panacur. Autopsy indicated a high degree of bacteria in one frog, possible from time little guy was a tadpole. Also possible the bacteria was in the live feed, some of which I took from the yard. Or I might have kept vivarium too moist, accelerating bacteria growth. Vet said no amount of cleaning would rid vivarium of bacteria, so I didn't break it down. He must have been right because remaining 10 are healthy, ready to be released next month. Some losses are expected due to internal parasites that have been with the frogs since tads. The Panacur and Flagyl helped, I guess; but if I had to do it again, I don't know that I would have subjected the remaining frogs to those medical baths. I will continue with Lymnozyme probiotic baths as long as I have the two I have decided to keep. It sounds like you are doing everything right. All living things are born with time-bombs that eventually get us in the end. It's just hard to lose a little friend seemingly too soon.

Thread Information