Thread: water filters

BigBlue83

Default water filters

Ive had frogs/toads since i was about 7 yrs old. My mom found one next to her car on the way home from work and brought it to me. we had all types of animals. everything from cats,dog,birds,rabbit,hamsters,fish,lizards,hermit crabs,African dwarf frogs,firebelly toads, that wild toad, and a tree frog.
    something about the frogs stuck, always loved them. would catch them whenever went to the pond (i would let them go). I have always owned a frog (except 16 to 26) i dont trust filters, because never had luck when i was younger. So now, i always use an easily removable water source. However want to try a water filter (this isnt for my pacman), so I wanted to put the question out there of what you all thought of the Tetra Repotfilter???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: water filters

What size tank? How deep is the water? Is this for the dwarf frogs or for the firebellies? I am assuming that you are not housing the firebelly toads with the dwarfs frogs.

BigBlue83

20 gallon long, right now its about two inches deep, however im changing the tank around hoping to keep bout the same amount of water. its for my firebellys, and you would be correct to assume they are deff not housed together

Nationality
    [United States]

okay Big Blue83,

I beleive for the tetra reptofilter to funcition properly you would probabaly need a little deeper water level. There are a couple of tetra rept filters: the one that looks like a black rectangle and the one that looks like a rock outcrop. I am not sure which you are referring to. The filter inserts do have to be replaced often.

Firebelly toads do enjoy swimming, and water depth of 4-5inches would not be out of line. Also a deeper water level will open up that area for additional design options, such as plants, making a stream bead, or lake bottom.

I personally dont like that much maintenance, dealing with the filter pads so here is what I do: generally I use cork flats to separate land from water. The cork is easily cut with a saw (I use a jig saw), to whatever size you would need. Several peices can also be glued together to create the desired "shoreline" The cork flats are siliconed to the bottom, and side of the tank. I fill the "land area" for hydroballs, cover this with window screen (will not rust), then cover with soil for planting, or with stones/gravel is you did not want to have live plants. Since this is not water tight, it increases the overall water volume, increasing/maintening the water quality. One the land area, I create creek or water fall. Within the hydroballs will grow beneficial bateria, hence becoming a filter. And no maintenance (or additional costs) other than routine water changes.

Here is a picutre of a hex tank that currently houses newts, but would also make great housing for a 2-4 fire belly toads. To give you an idea of what I am talk about.

Other wise.... I would recommend larger is better. Also look into the small internal filters that come with spray bar attachment. All of them work well with routine maintenance.

BigBlue83

so today i bought a tetra filter and slightly changed my tank. I like it but, i dont ( i know thats an oxymoron). for one, i need more water of land. for two Urlacher is back to old tricks and trying to climb out. the repti filter is high too so im worried about him. (i put a rock on that corner of the screen lid for a little protection) also i want more tank now . im going to hit the drawing board because im going to gather some info and material and completely refab the tank. however next is my mister for my pac

BigBlue83

Thread Information