Thread: My frog is dying

Dubski

Default My frog is dying

So I have 2 red eyed treefrogs, Vivian and Bruce. I've had Vivian for almost a year now, and got Bruce about 2 months ago. Recently Vivian acquired blood around her mouth and a large scar on top of her head. My guesses are that she hurt herself hunting, because the marks look too violent, even for territorial fighting. I waited a week and the scar has become larger, i believe there is some kind of bacteria eating away at her skin. She is active at night but looks terrible, dark green color skin, and her third eyelid is constantly covering her eyes, even before i turn their light on, not to mention the giant scars on her mouth and head. Bruce is completely healthy. Vivian's waist appears to have a touch of red though i can remember her always having that ( redleg maybe?) i also just looked at her tonight and alarmingly found a lump underneath her right arm. There are just way too many symptoms here to tell what it is and i need a real expert. Temp = 70 Hum= 50-60 with a constant waterfall and 25w daylight bulb, no nighttime bulb. please help me. it may already be too late for Vivian but i can't let her die without trying

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My frog is dying

Quote Originally Posted by Dubski View Post
    So I have 2 red eyed treefrogs, Vivian and Bruce. I've had Vivian for almost a year now, and got Bruce about 2 months ago. Recently Vivian acquired blood around her mouth and a large scar on top of her head. My guesses are that she hurt herself hunting, because the marks look too violent, even for territorial fighting. I waited a week and the scar has become larger, i believe there is some kind of bacteria eating away at her skin. She is active at night but looks terrible, dark green color skin, and her third eyelid is constantly covering her eyes, even before i turn their light on, not to mention the giant scars on her mouth and head. Bruce is completely healthy. Vivian's waist appears to have a touch of red though i can remember her always having that ( redleg maybe?) i also just looked at her tonight and alarmingly found a lump underneath her right arm. There are just way too many symptoms here to tell what it is and i need a real expert. Temp = 70 Hum= 50-60 with a constant waterfall and 25w daylight bulb, no nighttime bulb. please help me. it may already be too late for Vivian but i can't let her die without trying
    I'm sorry!
    Your frog needs a vet ASAP. You can save your frog if you act quickly !
    It could be an infection she will recover from w/ antibiotics! prescribed by a herp vet!
    She should be removed form the viv. immediately-put into a separate 'hospital' tank w/ dampened paper towels and clean water for soaking ( both changed daily w/ treated water ).

In the meantime:
    purchase neosporin ( WITHOUT pain killer - the pain killer will kill your frog) apply to the wounds- w/ a clean q-tip ---avoid her eyes.

Your frog needs to soak in a warmer environment / hospital tank!

PLEASE, read this:

http://www.frogforum.net/content/bas...first-aid-142/

Remove the sharp items from your viv. so you other one does not get injured.
    If you have fake plants or vines-- look carefully for wires sticking out of the buds !!!
    Some of these fake tings can be very dangerous!!!

Your viv is too cold !
    Day temps: >78 F--<82 F
    Night temps 71-75

Humidity
    70-80% no need to ever be > than 80%

I hope this helps!!
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: My frog is dying

. Temp = 70 Hum= 50-60 with a constant waterfall and 25w daylight bulb, no nighttime bulb. please help me. it may already be too late for Vivian but i can't let her die without trying[/QUOTE]

70 isn't the day time temp is it? If so, boost it up to 78 during the day. Next, ask the vet for silver sulfadiozine cream. During the day while the frog is sleeping, place a small amount on the wounds. As far as the lump goes, can you put a pic of it. May one of 3 things, first, could be a parasite, second an abscess or third a spider bite. The vet should be able to prescribe panicure for the parasite, baytril ( 1 part 5%baytril to 10 parts water) for the abscess. Can't help you with the spider bite. I have had red eyes get bit before when I was using a cricket company that sent more spiders than crickets it seemed, and the bites eventually went down with the baytril. Well I guess I could kinda help with that.lol.. Hopefully your frog is gonna be fine after it is all said and done with the treatment. As Lynn said, get to a vet as soon as possible.
    Michael Novy
    rainforestjunkys.com

Thread Information