Thread: Can someone show me their heating setup?

Nabced

Default Can someone show me their heating setup?

I would like to see some heating set ups for a tank.It would be helpful so that I can reference as to what mine should look like! thanks a lot guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Can someone show me their heating setup?

Screen top covered with Plastic wrap 3/4s of the way. In dead center of screen top is Fluker's 5.5" clamp lamp with dimmer switch.

Bulb is a 50 watt Exo Terra Sun Glo Basking light with concentrated beam. This allows you to heat the ambient air in the enclosure without dialing the light up high so its not too bright or hot.

On the side of the tank is a Zoo Med UTH 5" x 8" for 10 gallon tank. I have 2 on, but they both are not on at the same time. If I am not going to be home to change to the nightime bulbs I will plug the extra UTH in to keep them warm when the lights go out. I have a timer with 4 constant outlets/2 daytime outlets/ and 2 night time outlets set on a 12 hour cycle.

Ambient room temp should be in the 70s for optimum heating output from you UTH and Heat lamps.

Night time bulb is a 50 watt infrared bulb. Most are good.

Note/ UTHs should remain on at all times as a constant heat source. Placed on the side of the tank NOT the bottom for saftey of your frog. Temp gauge and hygrometer should be dead center of the back wall of the enclosure 1" to 1 1/2" above the substrate for a more accurate all around reading. There are many ways to heat your enclosure, but this is most common and works well. When ysing heat lights always use some kind of plant cover fake or live. The frogs appreciate a shaded place to hide just as they would do in the wild and are less likely to bury themselves all the way to hide. Unless humidity is low then they will usually bury all the way.

Also note that heat lights will reduce humidity in the enclosure as they warm it. There are environmet control units that you can buy that can help maintain the proper climate in the enclosure. Zoo Med Hygrotherm is one such unit. I use it and recomend it highly.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BigBlue83

i have my eye on one of those Repti foggers!! within the next two to three weeks, im getting one of those. Im so excited for my pacman!!! she is going to love it!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue83 View Post
    i have my eye on one of those Repti foggers!! within the next two to three weeks, im getting one of those. Im so excited for my pacman!!! she is going to love it!
    They do really like them. When combined with a Hygrotherm you never have to worry about your frogs humidity.

BigBlue83

i dont think i have a hygrotherm, i have something from zilla. you set the temp and the device will turn on and off the light or whatever heat soure you have plugged in. I wonder if it would work with the Repti-Fogger???
    here is a picture of it.... the cord on the right gous into the wall outlet. then theres another wire that goes to two sets of male plugs...

it has a thermostat that sits in the tank. ( i have another idividual thermostat thats digital in there too)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue83 View Post
    i dont think i have a hygrotherm, i have something from zilla. you set the temp and the device will turn on and off the light or whatever heat soure you have plugged in. I wonder if it would work with the Repti-Fogger???
    here is a picture of it.... the cord on the right gous into the wall outlet. then theres another wire that goes to two sets of male plugs...

it has a thermostat that sits in the tank. ( i have another idividual thermostat thats digital in there too)
    Nope. That's just a type of thermostat. The Zoo Med Hygrotherm can control both temp and humidity levels. Look it up and read about it. I bet you'll be getting one after you read about it.

Nabced

Thanks for the great info I went out and bought a heatpad for the little guy today and I would like to get one of the heat/humidity monitors for him aswell but I'm gonna hold off on that until I first upgrade the size of his tank

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Nabced View Post
    Thanks for the great info I went out and bought a heatpad for the little guy today and I would like to get one of the heat/humidity monitors for him aswell but I'm gonna hold off on that until I first upgrade the size of his tank
    Good idea. Smaller enclosures are easier to maintain heat and humidity levels anyway and to purchase a Hygrotherm for a critter keeper would be sort of overkill.

Thread Information