Thread: How often do you handle your red eyed tree frog?

Chrono1081

Default How often do you handle your red eyed tree frog?

Hi guys,

I was wondering how much you all handle your red eyed tree frogs? I know these frogs are generally a "look don't touch" according to care sheets I've read, but I'll be honest, holding them for a few minutes every few days makes cleaning the tank a TON easier! They no longer sit super still or hop away from me and when they wake up, I put my hand near them and they climb right on and I can safely get them out of the tank so I can clean it. (I have a rule of never cleaning anything while they're in there as to not accidentally squish one!)

I'm a 30 year old so I'm very responsible with my animals and do not have kids or other pets or anything that would get to these frogs. I simply take them out and let them walk into a temporary enclosure while I clean. That being said am I really in the wrong for holding these guys? (I take all precautions and rinse my hands with filtered water and dry them before hand).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

coreyhkh

Default Re: How often do you handle your red eyed tree frog?

I handle my frogs when I clean there tank. most of my frogs are mostly tame and are happy to sit on the top of the cage until I am done. If you are careful, keep you hands clean and damp and don't restrict them then its fine to hold them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I rarely handle my retf's. Usually only when I have to clean the viv, although the viv is fairly maintenance free. It is very easy to remove the water bowl while they are sleeping.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Never ever. Spot cleaning and maintenence is done when they're asleep.

B1GFROG

I never touch mine. Ever. And to be honest, I'd doubt they'd even let me touch them if I tried.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono1081 View Post
    Hi guys,

I was wondering how much you all handle your red eyed tree frogs? I know these frogs are generally a "look don't touch" according to care sheets I've read, but I'll be honest, holding them for a few minutes every few days makes cleaning the tank a TON easier! They no longer sit super still or hop away from me and when they wake up, I put my hand near them and they climb right on and I can safely get them out of the tank so I can clean it. (I have a rule of never cleaning anything while they're in there as to not accidentally squish one!)

I'm a 30 year old so I'm very responsible with my animals and do not have kids or other pets or anything that would get to these frogs. I simply take them out and let them walk into a temporary enclosure while I clean. That being said am I really in the wrong for holding these guys? (I take all precautions and rinse my hands with filtered water and dry them before hand).
    This weekend, I had to transfer my frogs from their tank to a tempory one.
    It was the first time I had EVER touched them since moving them from a quarantine tank at the time of purchase.
    ( except for one- that was a rescue/handle when it was ill for treatment)
    I purchased my first frog in 2009! Like Martin and Heather said, it should be done while they are sleeping.
    There are, however, red eye owners that do handle the frogs??

In my mind -
    I think a red eye thinks ( if you will) 2 things when it is handled:
    1- i'm gonna be squished
    2- i'm gonna be eaten

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

mim

i dont have red eyes but have two whites. i used to take mine out and completely gut the tank but now i just spot clean, they are in a large tank so its easy enough to clean whilst their asleep. when i did take them out i used to wear latex gloves and like u transfer them to a container but i found that it was stressing them out too much. sometimes now the frogs will jump on my hands when i go to change water etc which i dont really see a problem in. i think so long as ur not just gettin them out to handle on purpose there shouldnt b a problem but make sure that u moving them isnt stressing them out

I have red eyes that I raised from froglets and I handle them every week , but I also work as a veterinary technician of over 25 yrs so I'm very careful of their handling. They seem to love the interaction and will come hop on my hand while feeding . I also wear glove too when cleaning enclosures and such . This week one group is going into the rainchamber , wish me luck!

Thread Information