Thread: Help, sick frog?

mpvisc00

Default Help, sick frog?

My son's two leopard frogs now have lost their tails and I have not fed them crickets yet. I am planning to buy them this weekend, but noticed that one of the frogs sits with his head straight up and his feet straight down (looks like a dying fish), will swim when prompted and only 2 hours ago was sitting on the shore of the tank. is this normal? or is he dying? right now I am feeding them the pellets we got when we got the tadpoles.

ill try and post a pic,.Name:  20120302_214224.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  41.7 KB

any help from experienced frog owners would be appreciated. My son comforted me by saying "I'm sure he'll be fine", i just dont want the poor kid to lose one of his 2 frogs this soon.

oh and this pic is sideways.
    Last edited by mpvisc00; March 2nd, 2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: pic issue.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

eric048

Default Re: Help, sick frog?

does he have anywhere to get out of the water? also the water looks kind of dirty, make sure the ammonia is low otherwise it'll cause the frogs stress or kill them

mpvisc00

He does have a way out, yes! The reason the water looks scuzzy is because it is a StarWarshabitat, so thebackground and the land portion is green. basically, water on the bottom of the container, and land over the top with a ramp out of the water on one side. this is until they get a bit bigger. I clean out their waste every couple days, and do a larger water change once to twice a week, i think more now that they are eating crickets.
    The guy at a reptile pet store told me unless he is on his back, not to worry unless his skin changes color, so I am hoping we are out of the woods. It seems that both the frogs do it from time to time, but this one seems to do it almost all the time when he is under water.
    Thanks for the feedback, I'll probablystart cleaning the tank more often.

eric048

well I know tadpoles will sometimes sit at 45 degree angles right under the water's surface, i've heard its a feeding habit but I'm not sure, he still looks like he has a little stub of a tail he might still be transitioning from polliwog to frog, if he is eating fine and looks healthy I wouldn't worry, each frog is unique and they all have little personalities, my white tree frog sits in front of the door to his tank and just watches the things I do, while the other sits and hides when i'm near. another thing could also be temp, it just came to me, what's the water and tank temps? if it's too hot on land he will go into the water and vice versa. also it might help to put some little rocks or outcrops, plants in the water for them to hide in and feel secure, he might be playing possum from lack of security I had a leopard frog who'd do that when he was in the water and I was in the room he would just float there as soon as I would stand back about 6ft he'd go back to swimming and jumping on things, hope that helps!

eric048

Amphibian Care >> Leopard Frog (Rana pipiens and R. utricularia) Care

I saw the star wars frog house and I think it might be too small for them look at this link above it has good info on how to keep them happy

S13

Th... there's a Star Wars frog house????

MUST... GET... ONE!

Edit: I looked it up, yeah that thing looks small. Cool little habitat to raise a few tads but prob going to have to move them into something a bit bigger

Thread Information