Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT pacman not eating

shane

Default URGENT pacman not eating

Hey guys, my pacman frog wont eat or look at its food even. I know it takes a few days for them to adjust to a new environment but he/she should at least be looking at the food by now right? I desparately need someones help. Im getting a heat pad ASAP but in the mean time my house is around 80 degrees and its environment stays pretty much solid mid 70s. I am doing everything I can but to own a pet that wont eat makes me feel like a terrible owner. i just need to know how long until i should worry? And is this my fault? if anyone can help please let me know, I would really love to hear how I can make this awesome creatures life ideal for it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

mafoo

Default Re: URGENT pacman not eating

you need to get a heat pad or a heat light immediatly. the tank needs to stay around 80. pacman frogs arent very hardy to tempeture/humidity drops so thats probably why he isnt eating. him not eating is not a huge worry untill after 2 weeks of not eating, but u have to get his temps up fast and he should be ok then. if he still wont eat after the heat is up let us know and post more info about his setup.

shane

Thank you so much, i needed that reassurance.
    i would never neglect an animal so i just needed to know i wasnt. im doing all i can. the heat pad is on its way, and should be here soon. i am not using a light because i hear their skin is sensitive mainly in albino's, but id rather not burn the little guy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Use only a infared 50watt or less in a lamp with a dimmer so you can control it. Your humidity needs to be 70-80%. There is a nice pacman caresheet here on the forum. Cover three sides of his tank to make home feel safe and cozy. Use only dechlorinated water for his water bowl and for the substrate and to mist with. He should eat once his home is right and once his stress lessens .

Good luck! Do you have any pictures of your frog and set-up?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

You're getting good solid help here so do as everyone above has said. always research your pet before you get it. Not having all you need before getting your frog is not wise, but if you act quickly and get what you need and set his home up right he/she should be fine.

Keep us posted.

Silver00LT

shane

well what had happened was the common case of i think i have learned all i can then i find out i couldnt be more wrong. I have raised reptiles my whole life and i never really knew how much easier a reptile is than an amphibian. im going to get everything set up just right for him, no animal can go neglected. i will get everything requested and is it possible that because the tank is much too large it could stress him out? it used to be divided but i cant find the divider so its 1 big 30 gallon instead on 2 little 15 gallon tanks. i feel like such an idiot haha i have never not been able to make an animal happy, for heavens sake i got garter snakes to breed in captivity. but i cant get a pacman to eat? hahaha thats like not getting a human to breathe. but rest assured everyone i will do all the research and get all the supplies necesarry to ensure my pacman a happy healthy life as long as you can all ensure me a safe place to come and say hey, i got a problem and i need you to lay some knowledge on me. I learn quickly and im sure soon all this will get figured out with such amazing help from you guys. I have no pictures sadly haha but it is a ceratophrys cranwelli if that helps. it is a green phase, cant be any bigger than a 50 cent piece. and it is BEAUTIFUL.

shane

Heather, i would never dream of putting anything other than dechlorinated water in any of my animals environments. im a bit of a dechlor freak. Ant thank you all for such helpful information, i couldnt be more grateful. should i use a small tank because i cant find the divider to my big tank? are they more comfy in smaller darker tanks? or can you still make them at home in a larger environment? Sorry to be so annoying guys i just have to make sure i know all i need to know about my frog.

Eel Noob

Not trying to be an *** but I think alot of people buy a frog labeled as a pacman and think it will eat endlessly like the video game character. In reality these frogs will sometime go months without eating. If it's not thin I wouldn't worry about it.

shane

I know they can be tempermental eaters and sometimes will just choose not too. i know what i was in for when purchasing my frog, and your not being an *** your being honest. i dont expect it to eat endlessly i just dont want this beautiful frog to starve.

Nationality
    [United States]

Excellent . When they are small they prefer a somewhat smaller home with some shade or a hiding area. It helps them feel safe. A 10gallon should be fine if you have a cave or some plants. I think I moved my big pac when he was about 3 1/2" or so. He is now is a 29gallon bc I had the extra tank and bc he outgrew his water bowl, and when I purchased the bigger one I figured it was time for more space. He is now a tad over 4". My baby is still in her 10 gal. She is just under 3". I'll see if I have any recent pictures & will post them if I do.

It sounds like you are trying your best to learn what's right for them. No worries on the criticisms. Please take them in stride. We are all here to help you. I knew only the basics when I brought my babies home, and they are healthy, energetic, seem happy, and eat well and excrete urine and feces as they should.

Each frog may have a bit of their own personalities and preferences too. You just have to learn how to properly care for them and what they like best. Once they get used to their surroundings and you, it will be more rewarding for you both .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Spot on advice being given. I actually don't have anything to add other than follow what's been advised to you.

Good luck

Nationality
    [United States]

Chomper's house...

Tank's house...

Haha! Had to add the last picture . Tank waits at the glass when he's hungry . I hope yours will do the same once he's less stressed .

These are just examples of what you can do. I take a couple plants out briefly for feeding so the crickets do not climb up them and hide.

Hope this helps...

Nationality
    [United States]

What's your frog's name? How's he doing?

shane

well i have no idea if its male or female but the frog is named frank haha, he seems to be in sort of hibernation mode and he still seems like he is not thin or anything but i just cant seem to get him to eat. it still bites my finger every now and again when i get too close. i just want him to be ok. im getting the heat pad and ablue and red lamp soon, but for now is it safer to just leave him be to semi-hibernate or do i keep on buggin him about eating? i just want everything to work out. thanks grif, heather, mafoo, eat noob, and silver for the advice. i wont give up on this frog and i will do all i can to make him comfortable

Nationality
    [United States]

Break the back legs off the crickets and leave them in with him/her overnight. Just let him/her try by his/herself.

Keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm wondering if since he tries to bite your finger, if he'd tong feed?

shane

ive tried with tongs, he just not interested, today he just suddenly got worse. i think when i purchased him he had a parasite. ive done some research and some of his behavior just leads me to believe he not in good shape . I love my pacman frog, as much as i love any other animal i have ever owned. i'm just starting to wonder if its anything my fault or nature just stomping on my face. if its a parasite im starting to think that he may be a gonner. =( im not a sensitive person but if i lose frank ill DEFINATELY cry. its the most beautiful creature i have ever seen. ill keep everyone posted as much as possible. the frog seems to like slightly warm dechlorinated water sprayed on him when he is covered in substrate, but shortly after i stop he just flops over on his back and stays there. i go in every 5 minutes or so to check on him and sometimes i go in there and he is just upside down like he just wants to give up. not even trying to flip back over.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    ive tried with tongs, he just not interested, today he just suddenly got worse. i think when i purchased him he had a parasite. ive done some research and some of his behavior just leads me to believe he not in good shape . I love my pacman frog, as much as i love any other animal i have ever owned. i'm just starting to wonder if its anything my fault or nature just stomping on my face. if its a parasite im starting to think that he may be a gonner. =( im not a sensitive person but if i lose frank ill DEFINATELY cry. its the most beautiful creature i have ever seen. ill keep everyone posted as much as possible. the frog seems to like slightly warm dechlorinated water sprayed on him when he is covered in substrate, but shortly after i stop he just flops over on his back and stays there. i go in every 5 minutes or so to check on him and sometimes i go in there and he is just upside down like he just want to give up. not even trying to flip back over.
    I posted on your latest thread and I'm going to here.

Ok. Do not spray him directly. You are causing more stress right now. I want you to prepare a warm soak of de-chlorinated water and honey. The water must be no deeper than up to his chin, but I prefer a little less than that. Disolve 2 to 4 drops of honey in the water and place your frog in. Let him soak for 10 minutes. Then place him back home. Keep him away from drafts during this. Also keep his home warm so he doesn't get cold at all.

This can reduce stress as well. Try it and keep us posted. Like I said in your new thread. You must remain calm.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm am wondering if he needs calcium? Grif? Do you think so?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information