Thread: Pacman acting funny

Froggiefressh

Default Pacman acting funny

My pacman keeps making burrows getting up and making a new one? Normally he just sits there. Also hasn't eaten in 4 days which is pretty unsual. I tried putting him in a bowl of water, but he didn't do anything just jumped out. I'm probably over reacting, If you have any suggestions, ideas, or concerns please let me know.
    thanks, Greg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman acting funny

How moist is his substrate. Is it muddy or too dry?

Temp and humidity levels?

Have you changed anything in his enclosure lately? Furniture/fake plants added/etc?

Did you look for poop in the holes?

IvoryReptiles

Pacman Frogs are nocturnal and are ambush predators.........digging in and waiting for a prey item to come along is normal for them. As long as your temps & humidity are spot on and your substrate is in prime condition, everything should be fine. Please make sure that any water used in the enclosure (even for cleaning0 is de-chlorinated!

Froggiefressh

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    Pacman Frogs are nocturnal and are ambush predators.........digging in and waiting for a prey item to come along is normal for them. As long as your temps & humidity are spot on and your substrate is in prime condition, everything should be fine. Please make sure that any water used in the enclosure (even for cleaning0 is de-chlorinated!
    Humidity is 70%+ my temp is usually 81 I change my soil every two weeks at the longest and I always use conditioned water. The reason He is acting strange is because normally he just sits in the same spot since I've bought him and lately he has been burrowing and moving repeatedly. He also went 4 days without eating which is not normal of him. I tried to tong-feed him during the whole time like I normally do and he would just try to push the food outta his face. I put him in warm condition water and he did nothing just hopped right out. Any idea what could be going on?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Froggiefressh View Post
    Humidity is 70%+ my temp is usually 81 I change my soil every two weeks at the longest and I always use conditioned water. The reason He is acting strange is because normally he just sits in the same spot since I've bought him and lately he has been burrowing and moving repeatedly. He also went 4 days without eating which is not normal of him. I tried to tong-feed him during the whole time like I normally do and he would just try to push the food outta his face. I put him in warm condition water and he did nothing just hopped right out. Any idea what could be going on?
    Sounds like he doesn't like the soil. Like there is something about it that is not allowing him to be comfortable. How moist is the soil? If its too wet they usually will not stay burrowed in it?

Froggiefressh

These very well could be the problem, I use dry coco fiber then put it in a bowl and pour warm conditioned water in it and mix it up a bit.

S13

Yeah from what I learned already the substrate needs to be very moist, not flooded or muddy but very moist.

BigBlue83

how long dos he stay in the hole before moving again?
    also where is your UTH located?
    I have been told that after using the bathroom and being burrowed they will relocate, we hear about impaction, but what about the opposite? could the frog have ate something bad, that gave him an upset stomach and a case of the ****s????
    the other thing is maybe if your UTH is under the tank the frog is getting too warm, but cant find a spot thats cozy?

Froggiefressh

The substrate is not muddy, I'd say damp. When he was doing it he would burrow then right after he finished that hole he would make a new one, but he stopped doing it two days ago and now stays in one hole. He is being very shy and won't eat in front of me I know he is eating because I'll put crickets in there and the next morning they'll be gone. He completely stopped eating horn worms for some reason. He seemed to love them before. Atleast when I buy the horn worms they don't get wasted if my pac doesn't eat him, but my tomato frog will ferrsure.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Froggiefressh View Post
    The substrate is not muddy, I'd say damp. When he was doing it he would burrow then right after he finished that hole he would make a new one, but he stopped doing it two days ago and now stays in one hole. He is being very shy and won't eat in front of me I know he is eating because I'll put crickets in there and the next morning they'll be gone. He completely stopped eating horn worms for some reason. He seemed to love them before. Atleast when I buy the horn worms they don't get wasted if my pac doesn't eat him, but my tomato frog will ferrsure.
    Make sure the crickets aren't just burrowing into the substrate or hiding under the water dish and so on. They are natorious for doing this. I believe something in the substrate is aggrivating your frog and he was burrowing trying to find a comfortable spot and just couldn't find one. I would. Still keep an eye on him to make sure nothing else is wrong or stressing him.

Thread Information