Thread: Haven't seen my Pacman in 2 weeks, should I dig him up, or let him be?

Baelari

Default Haven't seen my Pacman in 2 weeks, should I dig him up, or let him be?

I got Lump this spring, and he's done pretty well up until now. I haven't seen him in at least 2 weeks, and the dirt where he buried himself hasn't been disturbed either. I've been having trouble maintaining temperature and humidity in his tank for the past few weeks. I can't seem to get the temperatures above 72 degrees in the warmest spot in the tank during the day (60 watt blue bulb, and a heater stuck to the side of the tank), and the humidity drops down to 50-40% (if my meter is correct) a few hours after I mist everything. I'm hoping he has just decided to hibernate through the winter, but I'm worried he might be sick or worse. He ate pretty well before he disappeared, I've been keeping the eco-earth moist (I have to pour in quite a bit of water every 3 or so days to keep it moist), and I have a few dubias wandering around his tank in case he decides to come out without me noticing.

I'm not really sure what I should be doing if he has decided to hibernate, and so far, I've been resisting the urge to dig him up and check to see if he's still alive. What should I do? Leave him until he comes out on his own? Dig him up and check on him? Find some new way to heat his tank (how?)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Haven't seen my Pacman in 2 weeks, should I dig him up, or let him be?

Quote Originally Posted by Baelari View Post
    I got Lump this spring, and he's done pretty well up until now. I haven't seen him in at least 2 weeks, and the dirt where he buried himself hasn't been disturbed either. I've been having trouble maintaining temperature and humidity in his tank for the past few weeks. I can't seem to get the temperatures above 72 degrees in the warmest spot in the tank during the day (60 watt blue bulb, and a heater stuck to the side of the tank), and the humidity drops down to 50-40% (if my meter is correct) a few hours after I mist everything. I'm hoping he has just decided to hibernate through the winter, but I'm worried he might be sick or worse. He ate pretty well before he disappeared, I've been keeping the eco-earth moist (I have to pour in quite a bit of water every 3 or so days to keep it moist), and I have a few dubias wandering around his tank in case he decides to come out without me noticing.

I'm not really sure what I should be doing if he has decided to hibernate, and so far, I've been resisting the urge to dig him up and check to see if he's still alive. What should I do? Leave him until he comes out on his own? Dig him up and check on him? Find some new way to heat his tank (how?)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    How old would you say he is?

Get rid of the blue light and buy an Exo Terra Sun Glo Basking light bulb. They are a lot more powerful and have a concentrated beam. Ccover 3/4 of the screen top with plastic wrap to hold in heat and humidity. Don't set the lamp right on the plastic as it might melt.

I'm afraid that you may have to check on him, but I need to know how often the temps drop that low and how old he may be.

Keep me posted.

Baelari

Default Re: Haven't seen my Pacman in 2 weeks, should I dig him up, or let him be?

He was a big baby when I bought him, about 3 fingers wide. He's tripled in size since I bought him this spring, so maybe a year? This is probably his first winter.

I have foil on top of the tank to help with humidity and heat. I just taped down the sides of the foil, instead of just bending them over, so perhaps that will help more.

Temps have been steady like this for the past few weeks. It's been pretty cold and dry here lately, and my apartment isn't the most well-insulated place on the planet.

Also, he recently got a tank and heat pad change, since the glass split on his 10 gallon. This was about a week and a half before he started this. He's now in a 15 gallon, so maybe that extra 5 gallons of space is adding to my temperature problems?

Nationality
    [United States]

He was a big baby when I bought him, about 3 fingers wide. He's tripled in size since I bought him this spring, so maybe a year? This is probably his first winter.

I have foil on top of the tank to help with humidity and heat. I just taped down the sides of the foil, instead of just bending them over, so perhaps that will help more.

Temps have been steady like this for the past few weeks. It's been pretty cold and dry here lately, and my apartment isn't the most well-insulated place on the planet.

Also, he recently got a tank and heat pad change, since the glass split on his 10 gallon. This was about a week and a half before he started this. He's now in a 15 gallon, so maybe that extra 5 gallons of space is adding to my temperature problems?
    Yeah that is why you are having trouble heating it.

He probably went into estivation. In order to bring him out you'll have to raise his temps to 84 or 85 and keep humidity at 80% normally your raise temps. 2 degrees per day over a period of 2 weeks gradually increasing humidity and extending the photo period by 15 minutes per day. This is not a normal circumstance so I woul unbury him to make sure he is alive. You should never let them estivate until they are a year of age or older. Not your fault though. This happens.

You should check to make sure he is alive and then start raising his temps and humidity levels. Make sure when you buy that Exo Terra Sun Glo bulb that it is a 50 watt bulb. You could try a 60 only if you have a lamp with a dimmer switch so the bulb wouldn't be too bright or hot.

Let me know if he is alright.

Baelari

I just unburied him. He was buried under about 6 inches of eco-earth, and barked and peed on me at me when I uncovered him. He doesn't seem overly thin, but not as fat as when I saw him last. He's awake, and cranky now, what should I do?

Nationality
    [United States]

I just unburied him. He was buried under about 6 inches of eco-earth, and barked and peed on me at me when I uncovered him. He doesn't seem overly thin, but not as fat as when I saw him last. He's awake, and cranky now, what should I do?
    Keep him warm and the humidity up. You could also give him a Warm soak to help him. About as deep as just below his vocal sack. Have a cup of warm de-chlorinated water ready to pourr over his back. He will be grumpy so be careful. After he is fully awake. You can try and feed him. Keep his tank warm while you soak him. Keep it at 80 if possible or 78 is finee.

Keep me posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

If Jessica from Ivory Reptiles reads this she can advise further than I since she is a breeder and handles this all the time.

Baelari

He's hopping around the tank now after his warm soak. I'll go get that bulb tomorrow.

Nationality
    [United States]

He's hopping around the tank now after his warm soak. I'll go get that bulb tomorrow.
    Good. He may be hungry in a little bit one he settles down then try and feed him. Let me know if he eats for you.

Keep me posted.

Thread Information