Thread: White's Dumpy with other tree frogs???

busytiredmom4

Default White's Dumpy with other tree frogs???

I'm thinking of getting a White's Dumpy, but need to know if it'll be compatible in same terrarium as my other 2 tree frogs

I have a female green tree frog (who was in same tank at pet store as Dumpy) and a male Pacific Chorus frog. The green frog is 2 inches and the chorus frog is 1 inch. I know Dumpy's get about 4 inches big and I"m wondering if that should be a problem. The one at the pet store looks fully grown or close to it (3.75-4 inches).

I've had my chorus frog in tank with California toad (3 inches) and she didn't bother him or try to eat him. I've also heard Dumpys have toxins that can be harmful to other species. Would you recommend placing Dumpy in with other 2 tree frogs, since they already have same environmental needs, or would you recommend getting his/her own terrarium? My personal opinion is that they'll be ok (as is the pet store owner who is a frog expert), considering the Dumpy was housed for a long time with the green tree frog that I just purchased-never a problem. Since they're pretty sedentary and sleep most of time on the glass, I don't see a problem. Any input would be appreciated. And since I'm seriously considering buying him/her, any thoughts on determining sex of this species? I've heard males have dark toe pads...thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: White's Dumpy with other tree frogs???

Hi there!

It's never a good idea to mix frogs of different species. Different species have different toxins so they might end up poisoning each other.
    You also have the risk of someone carrying a disease that will kill of the other.

Then you have the size difference. The white's will probably end up eating or trying to eat the other guys.

So you really should keep them separate, even if the petshop guy told you its fine.

mim

u really shouldnt mix them. ud need a very very very big tank if u were goin to consider that. in the wild they have so much space that it isnt a problem but in confined spaces (tanks) they are just too close too each other. i would seperate them! sorry but its better to seperate them and have them in their own tanks as they should have and be safe than one day u find ur frogs dead.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Personally I would never mix any species,
    All species have different toxins on their skin, toxins along with water and the minerals in the water are absorbed and released in the water they soak in, so if the 3 frogs are happy soaking together they could end up poisening each other,
    Also Whites tree frogs are not fussy eaters, if its smaller than them and moves around its fair game to eat, this includes smaller frogs! Im having to seperate mine as I have 1 female getting rather large and fat rather quickly and shes already caught her boyfriends toe when going for food before! and my finger haha.
    As for sexing the whites, virtually impossible until they reach 1-2 years, females tend to be bigger and the males like to sing for most of the n

Hope this helps

Thread Information