Thread: Hello everyone, wanted to see if my daughter and I could get some help?

Lynn

Smile Hello everyone, wanted to see if my daughter and I could get some help?

My daughter has found a little brown slick skinned frog in our courtyard after a big rain. She loves it! The frog is a brownish color and seems to love burrowing in the dirt or floating in the water dish. We have no idea what kind of frog it is and if it needs lighting in its tank or not. We put baby crickets in the tank and the frog ate some. We also wanted to know what other types of food the frog eats? We have to drive a bit to get to a pet store for the crickets and wondered how to supplement his food.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...100_6894-1.jpg
    http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...100_6892-1.jpg

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hello everyone, wanted to see if my daughter and I could get some help?

Some better pictures might help with IDing the species. They are awfully blurry pictures.

Lynn

Default Re: Hello everyone, wanted to see if my daughter and I could get some help?

here's a video, hope this helps!

FROGGEAH!!!!!!NEED HELP! (pweez?) - YouTube

S13

Both photobucket and youtube are blocked here at work I'm rather curious to see what you got your hands on since I also live in Texas and rarely see frogs around.

edit: I found this link, it may be a bit helpful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...bians_of_Texas

Lynn

We looked on the Texas website but still not sure what kind of frog we have. Anyhow it is cute. We just wonder if we are doing right by having a light on it during the day and off at night. Not sure what type of light it needs or at all. We are placing small crickets in tank for it to eat but we are not sure what else we can feed it. We tried to take some more pictures but they also turned out blurry. We will have to try again.

Nationality
    [United States]

Does it look like this, kinda?:

Image taken from Google for reference

Lynn

Talking Re: Hello everyone, wanted to see if my daughter and I could get some help?

Quote Originally Posted by toxxxickitten View Post
    Does it look like this, kinda?:

Image taken from Google for reference
    yes! It looks very similar to it. Thank you.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm not sure what kind of frog it is either. But a few overall frog keeping advice...

Be sure to dechlorinate all water used for him. There are lots of choices. I use Stress Coat. You can also check the amphibian row at your local pet store.

The crickets should be no larger than the distance between your frogs eyes. You should dust the crickets every other day with calcium/vitamin D 3 powder made for amphibians. I use Flukers brand, but there are others. I also sprinkle my crickets with an amphibian multivitamin every Sunday. You can use a baggy...put the crickets in with a small pinch and gently shake them a bit to coat them.

Be sure to wash your hands very well and leave no residues on your hands. Be sure to dry thoroughly bc the chlorine in our water is toxic to them. Also wash your hands after handling your frog.

Remember, we are big and scary to our frogs so handling and holding them should be minimized to prevent stressing them.

Often, having three sides of your tank covered will decrease their stress. There are many options.

For now, I would mimic the natural temps you found your frog in outdoors until someone can answer which type of frog he is. There are heating options such as side heating mats which stick to the sides of a glass tank and overhead heat lamps.

Humidity also has to be monitored. You may have to spray his enclosure, with dechlorinated water, based on his needs.

A good start is to have Eco earth substrate and a water bowl only filled to his chin (dechlorinated water). It will give him options.

Your best bet is to find out which species he is bc each frog has specific needs.

Cute frog! Good luck and I hope someone can tell you what type he is .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    yes! It looks very similar to it. Thank you.
    Looking through the Native Texas Frog list that Omar provided it looks like a Bronze Frog (Rana clamitans clamitans).

Lynn

My daughter and I both want to say thank you for everyone's help. We really appreciate everyone.

Thread Information