Thread: African Dwarf Frogs Feeding Trouble

RadioactiveKatie

Unhappy African Dwarf Frogs Feeding Trouble

I got 2 African Dwarf frogs from petco today, in a 2 gallon tank, and I'm having feeding issues. I bought what the petstore person recommended, Zoo Med Aquatic Frog and Tadpole food pellets. I dropped a few pellets close to the frog where they could see it, and they tried to swallow it, but spit it back about after a few seconds.... I cant get them to keep the pellets down! I'm not sure what to do, and I'm very worried. Also, I do not have gravel in the tank, and I have a few plants for hiding. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Can someone please help me?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

eric048

Default Re: African Dwarf Frogs Feeding Trouble

try frozen blood worms, also pre-soak the pellets to soften them up... I had this same issue but I realized that after the pellets had softend they eat them.... but try the bloodworms

RadioactiveKatie

The softened pellets helped! Thank you so much! Also, I have another quick question. Should I be feeding them a little bit every day? or is it ok to start doing every other day? what would you recommend?

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If you just bought them then they are still young and daily feedings are best.
    Once they are over an inch in body length alone then you can start feeding every other day.

The 2 gallon is OK for now, but a pair of ADF would be better off in a 5 gallon. The larger volume of water has a more stable temperature and dilutes their waste better in between water changes.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Davallyne

I have two adf. I think I got 1 male one female, almost certain. I had the female first in my community tank, and after a couple days she seemed to be comfortable and finds her food with no problem ( I use the same feeding spot every time). Recently I purchased a second and he has been in the tank for almost a week now. Although he seems more comfortable I have not seen him eat at all. I have placed food directly in front of him, even held it in my hand and he doesn't shy away but still will not eat. They came from different pet stores, so could the problem be that they were fed different foods at the pet stores? I use shrimp pellets, and the female eats them, never had a problem. Any suggestions? Also, I was wondering if there is a reason that my two frogs don't seem to be social with eachother? I'm new to this sorry for this ridiculously long post lol thanks =)

Thread Information