Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: Need some advice on keeping my humdity up!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Sissy Anne
    Guest

    Default Re: Need some advice on keeping my humdity up!

    With regards to the humidity issue... I also used to have to spray my enclosure constantly. After getting stuck on the side of the road in a snow storm last year (the big one that hit NYC in Jan... I was in my car covered in snow somewhere in Delaware for about 36 hours) and didn't get home to turn off the heat lamp or mist the enclosure, I decided to automate.

    I got a fogger from Petsmart and an aquarium timer. It took some trial and error, but I figured out how often the fogger needed to come on, and at what setting, in order to maintain the humidity within the ideal range for my frogs (for me... lowest setting, on for fifteen minutes, off for thirty during the day and just on once at night). It was an investment of less than $30. I also have my day/night lights on timers now, too. I have to refill the fogger once every three days. No more spraying! So easy. TOTALLY worth the money.

    (btw, I was able to get someone to the house the next morning while snowed in. The heat lamp had been on all night and the enclosure was very arid, but everyone survived the night).

  2. #2
    KingCam
    Guest

    Default Re: Need some advice on keeping my humdity up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sissy Anne View Post
    It was an investment of less than $30.
    How did you manage that? Most timers are $15 minimum, and I've never seen a fogger system for less than $45 (usually closer to $80 or $90). I'd be VERY interested in adding a fogger to multiple enclosures if I could do it for less than $30 per tank.

  3. #3
    Sissy Anne
    Guest

    Default Re: Need some advice on keeping my humdity up!

    Quote Originally Posted by KingCam View Post
    How did you manage that? Most timers are $15 minimum, and I've never seen a fogger system for less than $45 (usually closer to $80 or $90). I'd be VERY interested in adding a fogger to multiple enclosures if I could do it for less than $30 per tank.
    You're right. My mistake. It was less than 30$ for me because of a sale + coupon. The fogger I have retails for about twice that. (I just looked it up). My timer is one of the single plug-in cheapies, not the power cords with timers sold in reptile sections (THOSE are like $30+). The one I have is less than 10$. Check Petsmart.

  4. #4
    KingCam
    Guest

    Default Re: Need some advice on keeping my humdity up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sissy Anne View Post
    You're right. My mistake. It was less than 30$ for me because of a sale + coupon.
    Darn, I was hoping you knew a way to get a fogger/timer setup for under $30 on any given day :P

  5. #5
    Sissy Anne
    Guest

    Default Re: Need some advice on keeping my humdity up!

    Pet Perks card!!

    And even at the full price, I think it's worth the money if you can swing it. My life is so much easier without stressing over the enclosure.

  6. #6
    Moderator GrifTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    9,697
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Need some advice on keeping my humdity up!

    One of the greatest combos and its way better than a timer is a Zoo Med Hygrotherm with a Zoo Med Reptifogger hooked up to it. This is what I use and there is no worries.
    ​

  7. #7
    nlopez
    Guest

    Default Re: Need some advice on keeping my humdity up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sissy Anne View Post
    Pet Perks card!!

    And even at the full price, I think it's worth the money if you can swing it. My life is so much easier without stressing over the enclosure.
    AGREED! I loooove me some Pet Perks. And its deffo worth the money.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    One of the greatest combos and its way better than a timer is a Zoo Med Hygrotherm with a Zoo Med Reptifogger hooked up to it. This is what I use and there is no worries.
    AND! Once I took Grif's great advice and invested in a Reptifogger, it changed the way I took care of Nugget. I was spraying my life away, and then overnight it was twenty times easier. And then I saved up again and found a good enough sale (thanks, Amazon) and got a Hygrotherm. It is a semi costly investment, but I made it slowly and even now have added a ceramic heat emitter (no light, only heat) and the Hygrotherm + Reptifogger + Ceramic heat emitter are like the three musketeers. I still check on Nugget and mist him when he needs a little humidity boost and to give him some extra moisture, but now I can run errands after work without having to literally worry ALL DAY LONG and rush home to make sure Nugget is okay. I would recommend this trio/setup to anyone ten times over- I have never seen Nugget so happy and active (you know, besides pacman frogs being cute lazy lil guys).

  8. #8
    Sissy Anne
    Guest

    Default Re: Need some advice on keeping my humdity up!

    Time out. I have the Zoo med Reptifogger, but what is this hygrotherm you speak of. This sounds promising. My timer is working well now, after I spent days staring at my enclosure adjusting the time and setting until I got it just right, but when I upgrade enclosures I'd be interested in this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. keeping d/tinctrios
    By vince in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: September 12th, 2011, 12:36 AM
  3. Keeping crickets
    By TwiAly in forum Food, Feeders, Live, Frozen, Culturing, etc
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: August 10th, 2011, 09:05 AM
  4. Keeping humidity!
    By frozensponge in forum Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 15th, 2011, 09:31 PM
  5. Keeping waxies
    By Leefrogs in forum Food, Feeders, Live, Frozen, Culturing, etc
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 17th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •