Thread: Samurai lime green albino

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Samurai lime green albino

Just picked up my Lime green albino. About 3 inches. Very unique compaired to a normal albino. I will post a pic asap.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Samurai lime green albino

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post
    Just picked up my Lime green albino. About 3 inches. Very unique compaired to a normal albino. I will post a pic asap.
    Can't wait.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here is a pic of it. Not the best since its a camera phone without a flash but it will do.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

I might be wrong, but isn't albinoism the genetic fault which causes no pigments, therefore lacking colours (and somehow turning the eyes red). This frog has very nice colours and normal eyes, so is this really an albino? Seems like it might've been wrongly named and just being a morph of more pale green.

EDIT: Could be a leucistic since they produce melanin (the pigments), but much less than they normally would.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Leucistic has black eyes. This frog has red eyes.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

My bad, looked black in the pictures. But I still find it strange that an albino frog, lacking the pigments that generates their colour, is this green. It isn't an albino if it has pigments, and if it's colourfull, it has some pigments. So, as faf as I understand albinoism, this frog is not albino, but a cool morph.
    If I'm wrong and missing something here, please explain.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You cant think of it the same way as snakes. I would call most albino frogs a "Red eyed" variation. As far as the color pigment you are right. I didnt name this morph but most animals that has red eyes get slapped with the albino name.

Example: Red eyed lime green pacman.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

I did not think about them as snakes, I thought about them as animals and how albinoism works according to Wikipedia. I'm no expert what so ever, I just find this interesting. "Red eyed green pacman" would seem like a better name, since it appears to not be albino. But then again, I might have this all wrong, and if so, please enlighten me

pyxieBob

Quote Originally Posted by ViperJr View Post
    I did not think about them as snakes, I thought about them as animals and how albinoism works according to Wikipedia. I'm no expert what so ever, I just find this interesting. "Red eyed green pacman" would seem like a better name, since it appears to not be albino. But then again, I might have this all wrong, and if so, please enlighten me
    There is no such thing (yet) as a TRUE albino pacman. If your so confused abt an "albino" pacman being light green then you should be just as confused abt the original "albino" pacman being yellow. These frogs are AMELANISTIC meaning lacking in BLACK pigmentation. The extreme dark colors are replaced w bright yellows. A TRUE albino anything is milky white to CLEAR pigment. And in the Herp /reptile world these morphs are called snow. Albino is what everyone calls any reptile and amphibian that is Amelanistic. Like an "albino Burmese python" is yellow and white w red eyes. This is not true albino. White milky clear w red eyes would be a true albino. Lucistic is not related to this and that isn't what I'm describing. Lucistic has actual white pigment and produces melanin ( dark pigments) IE why they have dark eyes. Sometimes normal sometimes gray to blue eyes. But these amelanistic pacmans have been named Albinos. Kind of like a pit bull that is gray is known as a BLUE. That's the nick name because it resembles this color. Mikes like green albino pacman is like tons of other morphs. It's a MORPH. A mutated gene that became homozygous (visible) its just a traditional "albino" pacman that has more actual green in its genes. That is a very cool frog Mike!

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pyxieBob View Post
    There is no such thing (yet) as a TRUE albino pacman. If your so confused abt an "albino" pacman being light green then you should be just as confused abt the original "albino" pacman being yellow. These frogs are AMELANISTIC meaning lacking in BLACK pigmentation. The extreme dark colors are replaced w bright yellows. A TRUE albino anything is milky white to CLEAR pigment. And in the Herp /reptile world these morphs are called snow. Albino is what everyone calls any reptile and amphibian that is Amelanistic. Like an "albino Burmese python" is yellow and white w red eyes. This is not true albino. White milky clear w red eyes would be a true albino. Lucistic is not related to this and that isn't what I'm describing. Lucistic has actual white pigment and produces melanin ( dark pigments) IE why they have dark eyes. Sometimes normal sometimes gray to blue eyes. But these amelanistic pacmans have been named Albinos. Kind of like a pit bull that is gray is known as a BLUE. That's the nick name because it resembles this color. Mikes like green albino pacman is like tons of other morphs. It's a MORPH. A mutated gene that became homozygous (visible) its just a traditional "albino" pacman that has more actual green in its genes. That is a very cool frog Mike!
    Yes, I'm aware what leucistic is (I actually described it myself ). Thanks a lot for that explanation! So it's basically just the herp world that described them wrongly at some point, and then it stuck. So, I was right that it's not an scientific true albino. But then again, I was wrong since it's accepted as an albino in the herp world!
    Good thing to know and I was not aware of this. Thanks again, both of you

pyxieBob

Exactly. So as far as mikes new frog goes it is simply a variation of the orig "albino" cranwellis. And I'm aware you know what leucistic is. I put that because I didn't want some other person to put up a post something to the nature of "hey pyxieBob are you sure you aren't talking abt leucistic?" thus creating more confusion.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.696227,-117.399644

Nationality
    [United States]

Basically they are only half Albino. The closest to a true Albino in Pacman frogs is the Phantom Pac. Color wise anyway.

EDIT) Just to add an example. Rabbits, specifically the breed called New Zealand Whites. They are a white rabbit with pink or red eyes. Not an Albino, but a breed of white rabbits that are partially Albino and carry the gene for red or pink eyes. White fur adds sort of a misdirected conclusion that they are Albinos, but are not.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Re: Samurai lime green albino

Wow this thread took off.lol

Here is whats going on......

Most humans and many animals with albinism appear white or very pale; the multiple types of melanin pigment are responsible for brown, black, gray, and some yellow colorations...............

In some animals, especially albinistic birds and reptiles, ruddy and yellow hues or other colors may be present on the entire body or in patches (as is common among pigeons), due to the presence of other pigments unaffected by albinism such as porphyrins, pteridines and psittacins, as well as carotenoid pigments derived from the diet........

............................................ Some animals are white or pale due to chromatophore (pigment cell) defects, do not lack melanin production, and have normal eyes; they are referred to as leucistic. The direct opposite of albinism, an unusually high level of melanin pigmentation (and sometimes absence of other types of pigment in species that have more than one), is known as melanism, and results in an appearance darker than non-melanistic specimens from the same genepool.[4] Albinism-like conditions may affect other pigments or pigment-production mechanisms in some animals (e.g. "whiteface", a lack of psittacins that can affect some parrot species.).[5] Another is common in reptiles and amphibians: axanthism, in which xanthophore metabolism, instead of synthesis of melanin, is affected, resuling in reduction or absence of red and yellow pteridine pigments.[6] Of all these conditions, only albinism and melanism affect humans.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow this thread took off.lol

Here is whats going on......

Most humans and many animals with albinism appear white or very pale; the multiple types of melanin pigment are responsible for brown, black, gray, and some yellow colorations...............

In some animals, especially albinistic birds and reptiles, ruddy and yellow hues or other colors may be present on the entire body or in patches (as is common among pigeons), due to the presence of other pigments unaffected by albinism such as porphyrins, pteridines and psittacins, as well as carotenoid pigments derived from the diet........

............................................ Some animals are white or pale due to chromatophore (pigment cell) defects, do not lack melanin production, and have normal eyes; they are referred to as leucistic. The direct opposite of albinism, an unusually high level of melanin pigmentation (and sometimes absence of other types of pigment in species that have more than one), is known as melanism, and results in an appearance darker than non-melanistic specimens from the same genepool.[4] Albinism-like conditions may affect other pigments or pigment-production mechanisms in some animals (e.g. "whiteface", a lack of psittacins that can affect some parrot species.).[5] Another is common in reptiles and amphibians: axanthism, in which xanthophore metabolism, instead of synthesis of melanin, is affected, resuling in reduction or absence of red and yellow pteridine pigments.[6] Of all these conditions, only albinism and melanism affect humans.

nabbyg116

Just wondering if you were successful in getting any blue pacman frogs? I just picked up a lime green albino from Samuari, and LOVE it. I also have an ornate pac man frog.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes, i have one availible. These are the true blues that stay mostly blue and dont fade to green
    Attached Images Attached Images    

nabbyg116

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you asking for one, shipped? I really wanted one, but the fact that they faded to green threw me off, plus the $100 price tag, plus shipping....you can PM me if you prefer.

Thread Information