Thread: New to amphibians

AmazonFTW

Default New to amphibians

Hello

I recently started researching dart frogs after seeing a terrarium for sale in a fish shop I visit regularly. I am seriously considering getting a terrarium and starting to keep dart frogs (just 2 frogs to start).

I am completely unsure of the size of terrarium that would be needed to keep a pair of frogs. I have seen the Exo Terra 12x12x12" at a good price and was wondering if this would be a good starter terrarium or whether the 12x12x18" or 18x18x18" models would be a better investment?

I have added up the costs and worked out the set up to cost £170 roughly (with the 12x12x12", discluding frogs) but obviously the cost would increase the larger the terrarium is but I would assume that an 18x18x18" terrarium wouldn't require too much more substrate than a 12x12x12"?

This is the list of equipment I believe I will need (please correct me if I need more or less): Terrarium, Background, Light, Bulbs, Plantation Soil, Moss, Wood, Hygrometer, Thermometer, Hydroballs, Plants, Glass (placed on the lid, to keep the humidity high), Coconut Hut, Fake Vine, Fruitfly and Springtail Cultures, food dust supplement.

I am also unsure whether dart frogs require a pool of water or whether this is just optional?
    I keep fish already and so my room that I would keep the frogs in is 21-24 degrees, would this be OK or do I need a heat pad?
    What should the humidity ideally be for dart frogs? I've read 60% up to 90-100%, I would use a hand sprayer as I can't really spend too much money.

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to get it right.

Thanks,
    AmazonFTW

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

eric048

Default Re: New to amphibians

well first thing you have to know is what species of darts you want, if youre doing thumbnails a 12x12x12 will do, if youre doing the bigger ones like azureus or the other bigger darts no less than an 18x 18x 18x I would pick a frog then do a supply list, it really depends on the frog, also try looking at some "begginer" darts....

AmazonFTW

I was looking at either Dendrobates Tinctorius or Auratus, as they're my two favourite types of the 'beginner' darts - leaning more towards Auratus though, 'Super Blue' are really stunning. So I guess I'd be looking at an 18x18x18".

AmazonFTW

fluffypanda

the Auratus are amazing! do you know everything that you need to get for their viv?

eric048

set up the viv let it run for about a month then get the frogs

AmazonFTW

Using the stuff I mentioned in the first post? Or will I need more?

Thread Information