Thread: Help !!

kemberly clarke

Default Help !!

I purchased a baby pacman from 3 weeks ago. The first week he ate great ! 2 silks and a few butter worms. My problem is he hasnt eaten since. i have since offered food in which he refuses to take and i have found him quite skinny and un responsive. What do i do ?! i the temp in his tank is about 74 he has plenty of moss and he is misted twice a day with a water dish although i ahve a hard time keeping the humidity up. He has a black light for heat and its kept on 24/7. Im desperate !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help !!

Quote Originally Posted by kemberly clarke View Post
    I purchased a baby pacman from 3 weeks ago. The first week he ate great ! 2 silks and a few butter worms. My problem is he hasnt eaten since. i have since offered food in which he refuses to take and i have found him quite skinny and un responsive. What do i do ?! i the temp in his tank is about 74 he has plenty of moss and he is misted twice a day with a water dish although i ahve a hard time keeping the humidity up. He has a black light for heat and its kept on 24/7. Im desperate !
    His temps are too low. He needs temps 80 to 82 F during the day and 75 to 79 at night. Preferably top out at 82 during the day, but 80 is fine. At night try and keep him at 78 F. What size is his setup?

Moss is bad if you feed your frog in its home. He may eat it and become impacted(severe constipation) and can die. Get rid of the moss.

Are you using Eco Earth coconut fiber substrate?

Do you use spring water or de-chlorinated tap water? You must use a de-chlorinating agent or water conditioner when using tap water. Natural spring water is fine and does not need such an agent.

Do you have a UTH (Under Tank Heater) if not get one and place it on the side of the enclosure NOT the bottom. They are burrowing frogs and may burrow over the UTH and overheat or become burned on the glass.

You need an infrared light to use at night? The wattage of your bulbs you use must be in the range of no less than 25 watts and no higher than 50 watts. Any higher you risk harming your frog.

Lights burn off humidity and you must mist more often when using them.

When was his last bowel movement?

What kind of Pacman do you have?

Answer these questions and keep me posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also if you little baby is lathargic you can prepare a soak of luke warm de-chlorinated water or luke warm spring water no deeper than up to your frogs chin. In the luke warm soak disolve 2 drops of honey before placing your frog in the soak. This will provide an energy boost for your frog. Only do this once.

Again keep me posted.

kemberly clarke

I have just purchased a 50 watt infrared buld. He is in a 10 gallon exo terra tank and is on plantation soil. Where can i get eco earth ? I have been giving him warm baths the past few days and he has since had a bowel movement although it wasnt promising, it was lose and very light brown in color :S I have gotten rid of the moss and today i have managed to force feed him 2 butters and a small cricket. This was a great victory but it came with much patience .

kemberly clarke

Yes i use fluckers water declhorinator for reptiles and he is a comon green pac man. I did have a heater on the side of the tank as well

Nationality
    [United States]

Butter worms are kind of fattening so don't feed him too many of those. You need to get his temps up. Try and maintain a 70 to 80% humidity range. The relative humidity will fall as the tank warms. He may be stressed an that's why he isn't eating. Since he hasn't eaten in so long continue to force feed, but attempt to let him catch food on his own as well. Break the hind legs off the crickets to make them easier for him to catch. Try to minimize any loud noises. Try to let him catch food on his own before you force feed. Just brwak the legs off the crickets, drop them in, and try and watch without him noticing. Also you can let him be and come back later to see if he has eaten any. Try not to get him out for anymore soaks because that will stress him more. Force feeding is also stressful, but in life or death is necessary.

Plantation soil is fine. It and Eco Earth are both coconut fiber substrates.

Keep us posted.

pacmanspike1

hey guys i bought my first pacman a like 2 days ago and he not eating and i was woundering how do i keep his humidit up because rite night it hasnt moved up at all but the temp gage sait it 75 to 80 degrees in the tank can and help with tip to raise the humidity up

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by pacmanspike1 View Post
    hey guys i bought my first pacman a like 2 days ago and he not eating and i was woundering how do i keep his humidit up because rite night it hasnt moved up at all but the temp gage sait it 75 to 80 degrees in the tank can and help with tip to raise the humidity up
    The relative humidity will drop as the tank warms up. You can cover the screen top of your tank with a damp cloth after you mist the tank. You can also cover 2/3 or 3/4 of the tank with Plastic wrap. Just make sure if you are using a lamp that you don't place the lamp over the plastic wrap or else the lamp might melt the plastic.

Try either of these methods.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi friends! I was using plastic wrap too. It worked very well. I did get tired of it though so I had my local glass store cut and buff me glass lids which cover just over 3/4 of their tops, which is working great . Just thought I'd mention .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Hi friends! I was using plastic wrap too. It worked very well. I did get tired of it though so I had my local glass store cut and buff me glass lids which cover just over 3/4 of their tops, which is working great . Just thought I'd mention .
    Great advice Heather. I have been kicking around using terrarium backgrounds to line the inside of the screen top with. I've been thinking about cutting a couple properly sized pieces to cover 3/4 of the lid and then using a hole puncher to put holes in it. I thaught it might look kind of like my frogs were in the forest. Since they are usually made out of a plastic like material I figured they would work for holding heat and humidity.

kemberly clarke

I mist about 3 or 4 times a day which helps and i also have a constant water drip . Circulating water helps with humidity but covering the top keeps it in

kemberly clarke

I have his temps up to 82 , humidity is up and down . I have tried many times feeding him on his own , i even tried at night and hes not taking nothing by himself. i keep finding him in the middle of his tank , it almost looks like hes dried up or something. He doesnt really move or burrow which is new but unusual behavior. coud it be too hot ? i am misting him very frequently along with a water drip. i made it a point to leave him alone for the first week after he refused food. The next week was the same , he still refused food , food i tried was very small silks , butters and crickets by tongs and by himself and he regected them all . now this is week is week three and hes thin so i feel at this point i have no choice but to force feed. i got a small butter in him today and yesterday he ate two butters and a cricket . i plan on leaving him alone for the next few days to digest and keep his strength up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Is your substrate too wet? They won't burrow if the substrate is muddy. The rule is moist not mud. So it needs to be heavily damp not water logged. If he is losing weight and won't eat on his own then continue to force feed to get his strength up. Periodically let him try on his own once he is strong enough. Frogs take a long time to recover so hang in there and take good care of him. Be sure you still dust the items your force feeding him and try not to mist him directly, just the enclosure.

Nationality
    [United States]

Great idea Grif!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

kemberly clarke

ahah ! that may be it i will dry up the bedding a bit

Nationality
    [United States]

ahah ! that may be it i will dry up the bedding a bit
    You may have to just replace the substrate at this point. If its water logged you won't be able to dry it easily without removing it and spreading it out to dry. In the enclosure it will not dry and water will pool beneith the substrate which is bad as it can become stagnant and cause your frog to get toxing out syndrome. Basically it will poison your frog when he absorbs the stagnant water.

Keep us posted.

kemberly clarke

he has perked up a bit. still not eating on his own but is he is getting easier to force feed. everyother day he gets a few worms , a combo of heavily dusted wax and butters.i also put a bubble stump in to keep up the humidity.

Nationality
    [United States]

he has perked up a bit. still not eating on his own but is he is getting easier to force feed. everyother day he gets a few worms , a combo of heavily dusted wax and butters.i also put a bubble stump in to keep up the humidity.
    What's a bubble stump?

Nationality
    [United States]

You should be able to lessen the dusting to everyother feeding now. Don't want to overdose him on vitamins and calcium.

Keep us posted

nlopez

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    What's a bubble stump?
    I was wondering, too, so I Googled it out of curiosity.
    Bubble Stump

Thread Information