Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frog not eating..again!!!

Default Frog not eating..again!!!

Hey all, what would cause your dumpys to push away food? I have been feeding Hetfield regularly a few large crickets a week. He is still active in his water bowel, looks good. He purks up when he sees me, like he is ready to eat (what he usually does) then tonight I tried to give him a cricket and he pushed it away and backed up. I waited for a bit and tried again (I always have hand fed him) he pushed away a cricket again and this time crocked really loud then backed up. I decided to let him be for now. What bothers me is he did this just 2 months ago almost starving himself! I don't know what the deal is!!! Any ideas??

Update: I had to force feed Het today from a mixture I got from the Vet awhile back. Still no idea whats going on with him!!!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog not eating..again!!!

Sorry to hear Het is not eating again. I hope he snaps out of it and starts eating again soon!

Nationality
    [United States]

Awe! I hope he eats for you soon.

My retf I got from the mall is having trouble also. I took him out of the big viv and he's now in a 10 gal. I have been force feeding him daily.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Aw hope your little guy gets better too. I am not sure why hes doing this. Only thing I can think of is the humidity is out of whack. It was at 50% I keep misting and using his fogger, that made it go up for a bit, the temps dropped here in Texas to 30-40s so I hope its just because of that.

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Nationality
    [United States]

So I did notice that my Whites get a little lathergic when ever there is a big change in barametric pressure. They usually snap back a day or 2 later and go back to their usual destructive ways!

I may have asked you or you may have answered in a previous post but what kind of enclosure do you have? Have you tried putting a towel or some plexiglass on top of the enclosure. I had to put a 4" piece of Plexiglass on top of mine to limit the humidity exiting out the top. It might make it easier to maintain the humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by helm96 View Post
    So I did notice that my Whites get a little lathergic when ever there is a big change in barametric pressure. They usually snap back a day or 2 later and go back to their usual destructive ways!

I may have asked you or you may have answered in a previous post but what kind of enclosure do you have? Have you tried putting a towel or some plexiglass on top of the enclosure. I had to put a 4" piece of Plexiglass on top of mine to limit the humidity exiting out the top. It might make it easier to maintain the humidity.
    I have him in a 30 gallon glass fish tank. Its covered with a fitted plastic bin, which I cut enough to have his UVB bulb shine through. I was thinking about investing in a 18x18x18 or 18x18x24 Exo Terra Cage, what do you think??

Nationality
    [United States]

I have the ZooMed 18x18x24 and I love it! It is so much easier to clean then the open top. Plus I have noticed my kids don't mind when I open it up and start doing things. I have not owned one of the Exo Terras, but since the 18x18x24 is the biggest size that ZooMed makes I am looking to pick up the Exo Terra 24x18x36. I am not sure how active Het is but I know that my kids use all 24" of height that is in my tank. They love to climb! There is a pic of my enclosure in my Whites album if you care to look at it.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm so sorry Hetfield isn't eating again Blue. I hope he's back to his old self again real soon. Grif stopped eating too, but is really active. I believe she is looking to breed and has been stimulated by Loki calling so I'm going to have my hands full for a while "Sigh".

I have the ZooMed 18x18x24 and I love it! It is so much easier to clean then the open top. Plus I have noticed my kids don't mind when I open it up and start doing things. I have not owned one of the Exo Terras, but since the 18x18x24 is the biggest size that ZooMed makes I am looking to pick up the Exo Terra 24x18x36. I am not sure how active Het is but I know that my kids use all 24" of height that is in my tank. They love to climb! There is a pic of my enclosure in my Whites album if you care to look at it.
    I love, love, love your set up. Hetfield is all over the place usually too. I will prolly invest in that then. I think the biggest size will be too big for one frog though. 18x18x18 or 18x18x24 exo which size should I get??

Nationality
    [United States]

I am sure that the 18" would be fine but personally I would do the 24". I am a sole believer in height for tree frogs, the higher they get the more secure they feel! Of course this is just my opinion.

I am sure that the 18" would be fine but personally I would do the 24". I am a sole believer in height for tree frogs, the higher they get the more secure they feel! Of course this is just my opinion.
    He is an old fart he needs his exercise hahah, thank you for the advice and input! I will be getting it I am sure

Nationality
    [United States]

I would be just fine with the 18x18x24, but I rescued a Whites a little bit back and it has made it a bit cramped by the frog to gallon ratio. So when I move my whites to the bigger enclosure my Red Eyes get to take possesion of the Whites old condo.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Well I just bought a Exto Terra 18x18x24 on Amazon for $116.27 free shipping. I am happy about that I think this will be better. Just need to get his little punk *** to eat!!

Nationality
    [United States]

I think you will like the new enclosure as will Het! You got that for a pretty darn good price, Petco is selling theirs for $195! It will make life a little easier to maintain the humidity! Plus spot cleans and changing water are a piece o' cake with the front opening enclosures.

I think so too! Can't wait to get it Thats crazy, I saw some other site asking for almost 200.00, for that I can build one myself hahaah

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BlueisallIneed View Post
    for that I can build one myself hahaah
    However, if you build it yourself you do not get the expensive company logo! :-)

How is Het doing, did you try to feed him last night?

I already have most of the stuff thats in his tank right now. Well I am going to try to feed him tonight. He was in his water bowl this morning. The humidity level was good. So we will see!

Nationality
    [United States]

How long has it been since he ate on his own?

Its so easy to worry about the little guys, I tend to over worry everytime I see something new till I confirm that it was actually no big deal. So hard not to, I mean c'mon look at those faces!

I had to force feed him yesterday, he hasn't eaten in about 3 days total ( on his own). I wouldn't worry so much but he did this back in Nov and didn't eat for almost 2 weeks, I had to force feed him. He lost so much weight. When I took him to the Vet, she did a bunch of test and nothing came up. We gave him antibiotics and deworm meds just in case. He then was good to go, ate like a champ and gained weight. Now hes acting up again. I just don't want him to starve himself again!

Nationality
    [United States]

Well hopefully he will snap out of it when he gets his new casa! The good thing is he is still active and it sounds like he is happy! I am not much help since I have not run into an issue like that, mine are still young and will eat almost eveything in site; including a finger. I am so glad they don't have big sharp teeth!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information