Thread: help with my new fire bellied toad

cct1124

Arrow help with my new fire bellied toad

Hi all!

New to the forum. Anyway, got my fire belly about 2 weeks ago. It's set up is complete and running - 10 gal tank with about 60+% water with a gentle filter going. He isn't very active, and rarely goes into the water. He stays on the rocks pretty much all day. He is eating regularly, but I'm just concerned since he isn't going into the water and not even moving much. He looks fine otherwise. Could he possibly be lonely?

Please let me know what I can do to he out the little guy!

Much appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

heyjude2200

Default Re: help with my new fire bellied toad

Welcome.

I'm definitely not the authority here--many others have a lot more experience than I--but--my FBT's sometimes just sit, but they are mostly in the water and are quite active, and they interact with each other, so I wonder if your little guy is lonesome...
    Good luck with your little guy--they really grow on you!

Odica

Did he come from a pet store a tank with other fire belly toads in it?
    I'm new to frogs too I got two green tree frogs about 4 days ago. Any way they do like the same thing. they sit at the top of the tank all day unless I give them crickets then they will eat but they don't go in the water dish much. Might just be getting used to a new tank or like you said lonely.

cct1124

Thanks! Yeah I think he might be lonely... I hope that's it! How many do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by heyjude2200 View Post
    Welcome.

I'm definitely not the authority here--many others have a lot more experience than I--but--my FBT's sometimes just sit, but they are mostly in the water and are quite active, and they interact with each other, so I wonder if your little guy is lonesome...
    Good luck with your little guy--they really grow on you!

sobo

Hi, welcome! Im new too :P

Anyways, I know a lot about these guys, and for one thing, they love to be together, you should never buy one firebelly without buying it a buddy

They will interact with eachother, and be in the water most of the day. (be sure you have a hiding spot half in the water half on land)

So if yours is inactive, not eating, not soaking, im 95% sure its because its alone
    Hope this helps! If you get him a buddy let us know if he gets better!

cct1124

Thanks! Going to get another hopefully tomorrow. I really hope that resolves the problem! I feel bad cause he's just moping around =(

And I'll definitely let you know if that does the trick! Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sobo View Post
    Hi, welcome! Im new too :P

Anyways, I know a lot about these guys, and for one thing, they love to be together, you should never buy one firebelly without buying it a buddy

They will interact with eachother, and be in the water most of the day. (be sure you have a hiding spot half in the water half on land)

So if yours is inactive, not eating, not soaking, im 95% sure its because its alone
    Hope this helps! If you get him a buddy let us know if he gets better!

TheMagician

They definitely love to have friends. When I got my FBT's a couple years ago I only bought one at first. The next day I went back to the pet store to buy another one. The second I put the new in the tank my first toad, Tito, started ruffing like crazy and was so happy. Since then I've got a few more toads, and they all like to interact regularly.

cct1124

Hi guys!

So I got another FBT 2 days ago, and it WORKED like a charm! Instantaneously he started singing and became very lively. He likes to follow the new guy and now even hangs out in the water! (he never did that before). They get along great, and I'm SO glad I got another one! So I'm sure he was lonely all along! Problem solved!

Thanks all for your help!!!!

Fire belly toad

Unhappy Re: help with my new fire bellied toad

Hello I have three fire belly toads and none of them are very active I have watching them and they very rarely move. One of them has wedged himself inbeetween the filter and the glass but hasn't come out the other two are just sitting on the side of a rock and in the water what can I do to get them more active?Are they sick by chance?What should I do?

Thread Information