Thread: Is this color normal? Is it ok to feed my crickets goldfish flakes?

froggit

Unhappy Is this color normal? Is it ok to feed my crickets goldfish flakes?

I read that goldfish flakes are a good source of protien for crickets, is this true. Will it effect my pacman?

My pacman is a grey color on his face and down the middle of his back. Is this normal? I would like him to be that bright green color on his body. The portrait picture is him now, showing the grey color. And the second pic was what he looked like in December. I hope he isn't sick>
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RibbitSrUs

Default Re: Is this color normal? Is it ok to feed my crickets goldfish flakes?

i personally never seen one like this and i think its pretty cool. Reminds me of the phantom pacman that is completely black and grey. As for the fish flakes i feed them to my roaches and my pacs love the roaches and i never had a problem with them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Your frog is looking just fine. As C. cranwelli get older they generally loose all of their green and become various shades of brown. The first two cranwelli that I had did the same thing as yours. The green faded to a few stripes running down the back, and then disappeared completely. Sometimes their spots are greenish, but usually they are brown overall. People will sell them to you as "green" or "brown" pacmans. It doesn't really matter if they start out green or brown, they are going to turn brown . If you get a blue phase C. cranwelli it will fade to green and stay that way.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Nice frog! Love the greenish/gray coloration. If you are planning to gut-load your crickets using fish food, I recommend using Tetra or Zeigler fish food that contains spirulina. Spirulina is a blue-green algae that is used to enhance the coloration of tropical fish. It just might help retain that green color of your pacman.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

Is there any evidence that their coloration is diet related? I've heard this before but it would be interesting to know for sure.

froggit

Good to know this is normal! Thank you guys. And I will try out the fish food with the color enhancer in it. Sounds like a good idea.

Nationality
    [United States]

Diet does determin the brightness of their color as well as the type of substrate they are housed on. Diet only enhances though it doesn't alter their color. If they are brown and green you can enhance the bright green by using betacarotine which you can find in amphibian/reptile multivitamins. Cocfiber tends to make their colors brown out or dull, but not always. Different bulbs will show off different colors within their patterns that you normally dont see as well.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Question Re: Is this color normal? Is it ok to feed my crickets goldfish flakes?

Quote Originally Posted by motiszm View Post
    Is there any evidence that their coloration is diet related? I've heard this before but it would be interesting to know for sure.
    I haven't seen any evidence either way. I know many FBT keepers use color enhancers to maintain the brilliant red color of their belly. These techniques are also used in tropical fish and koi. Right now, I would say - if it works, great, if not, don't use it I don't think using color enhancing tropical fish food would do any harm to the frog.

Other ideas?
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Thread Information