Thread: Substrate not holding moisture.

nlopez

Default Substrate not holding moisture.

Hi guys, I'm having a problem with Nugget's substrate staying wet. I never had this problem with the other substrate type I used, but now using Eco Earth, the substrate will start to dry up. It stays more wet near his water dish, but in some parts I can see it has dried almost all the way down, not just the top layer. I tried mixing in some more water and I also mist and keep the humidity up, so I don't know what's going on. Like I mentioned, the only thing that has changed is the type of substrate I'm using. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

sobo

Default Re: Substrate not holding moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by nlopez View Post
    Hi guys, I'm having a problem with Nugget's substrate staying wet. I never had this problem with the other substrate type I used, but now using Eco Earth, the substrate will start to dry up. It stays more wet near his water dish, but in some parts I can see it has dried almost all the way down, not just the top layer. I tried mixing in some more water and I also mist and keep the humidity up, so I don't know what's going on. Like I mentioned, the only thing that has changed is the type of substrate I'm using. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    Yes, I use the kind of substrate. If you dont wet it enough, it dries up pretty fast and easy. Be sure when you first put it in the tank its very wet, not to much to the point it looks muddy but very damp. Also be sure to mist it 2-3 times a day at least. After a couple weeks it will start to become dry, but you should be changing it every 2 weeks anyways.

Hope this helped, it works for me! Good luck!

nlopez

Yes, that is what concerned me. I made this the same way I made the Eco Earth last time (same amount of water, etc) and last time it stayed fine until I changed it. My misting and tank cleaning habits/timelines have not changed. I will probably go back to the substrate I used before, I have not been too impressed with the Eco Earth so far anyway (for some reason I don't like the way it feels as much as I did the previous type I used).

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by nlopez View Post
    Yes, that is what concerned me. I made this the same way I made the Eco Earth last time (same amount of water, etc) and last time it stayed fine until I changed it. My misting and tank cleaning habits/timelines have not changed. I will probably go back to the substrate I used before, I have not been too impressed with the Eco Earth so far anyway (for some reason I don't like the way it feels as much as I did the previous type I used).
    Remember how I said to toss and mist the substrate once a once or twice a week? Your fogger will only help to extend the moisture levels within the substrate, but since cool air as well as cool fog will settle and condence in cool areas so will it on the cool side of your tank. If you watch the fog as it begins to settle in your enclosure you'll notice it rise when it reaches the warm side and then fall beack down on the cool side of the tank. This is why the cool side maintains moisture longer.

Even with a fogger hooked up to a Hygrotherm you still have to mist your frogs substrate and toss it one or twice a week to add moisture and bring the lower substrate to the surface prolonging the life of the substrate and keeping your frog from sitting in the amonia from his urine. Its not a problem its normal.

The type of substrate you are using is fine. Each brick of Eco Earth is different. I found too many stones and odd objects in the bricks and switched to the bagged already expanded Eco Earth. It works the same every uses so far and is more consistant in maintaining moisture. Also the warm side will be hot so this will promote evaporation in the soil causing moisture loss.

This is normal. Its not a problem unless you let it become too dry. Toss the substrate and mist it while you do. Your Hygrotherm will flash a lot because it will be saying that the humidity is higher than your set level. All is well.

nlopez

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Remember how I said to toss and mist the substrate once a once or twice a week? Your fogger will only help to extend the moisture levels within the substrate, but since cool air as well as cool fog will settle and condence in cool areas so will it on the cool side of your tank. If you watch the fog as it begins to settle in your enclosure you'll notice it rise when it reaches the warm side and then fall beack down on the cool side of the tank. This is why the cool side maintains moisture longer.

Even with a fogger hooked up to a Hygrotherm you still have to mist your frogs substrate and toss it one or twice a week to add moisture and bring the lower substrate to the surface prolonging the life of the substrate and keeping your frog from sitting in the amonia from his urine. Its not a problem its normal.

The type of substrate you are using is fine. Each brick of Eco Earth is different. I found too many stones and odd objects in the bricks and switched to the bagged already expanded Eco Earth. It works the same every uses so far and is more consistant in maintaining moisture. Also the warm side will be hot so this will promote evaporation in the soil causing moisture loss.

This is normal. Its not a problem unless you let it become too dry. Toss the substrate and mist it while you do. Your Hygrotherm will flash a lot because it will be saying that the humidity is higher than your set level. All is well.
    This makes sense, all of it. I have been tossing the substrate and misting regularly, but haven't tried misting while tossing (which thinking about it now is like... duh! of course!) I am using the brick Eco Earth, I think I might switch to the bag (it seemed softer or something, not sure if that makes sense). Thanks for your thoughts as always, guys!

Thread Information