Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help injured wild frog :(

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Need help injured wild frog :(

Good deal and so glad to hear.

I love leaf liter for frogs. holds moisture and gives them places to hide under or climb onto.
    You set him up nice and he should be comfortable in there.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Brandon Lee Hoover

My fears of him moving on the substrate are gone I woke up and found him in the plate of water, the only problem is now he cant get out of the plate! I watched the little guy struggle to get on top of the only upright branch I have in there and he flipped right on his back back into the water dish and couldn't get up. I left him for a few minutes to see if he could move on his own but after 10 or so he gave up and fell asleep. Hes been very active this morning but his legs keep getting stuck on leaves and I've had to move him from the dish one other time.

Any advice? I hate watching the little guy stuggle so much to move around, but I'm afraid its just going to be a fact of life for him if his legs don't heal. I want to try and make the home as comfortable as possible with his disability.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You can put leaf litter over the substrate so he can push off the leaves and not sink. Setup looks good. Keep a close eye on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Lee Hoover View Post
    My fears of him moving on the substrate are gone I woke up and found him in the plate of water, the only problem is now he cant get out of the plate! I watched the little guy struggle to get on top of the only upright branch I have in there and he flipped right on his back back into the water dish and couldn't get up. I left him for a few minutes to see if he could move on his own but after 10 or so he gave up and fell asleep. Hes been very active this morning but his legs keep getting stuck on leaves and I've had to move him from the dish one other time.

Any advice? I hate watching the little guy stuggle so much to move around, but I'm afraid its just going to be a fact of life for him if his legs don't heal. I want to try and make the home as comfortable as possible with his disability.
    You may need to provide a water source that he can easily get out of and grip. Plates can become slick when wet so does their skin so he will not be able to grip the glaze that covers the plate. If he is trying to climb then that is a good sign. He won't be able to right himself easily though since his hind legs aren't healed. Try and finf some thing he can climb out of like somthing textured so he can grip it.

Might have to try and provide something for him to climb on that he can fall off like that either, but I'm not sure what. Don may have some ideas.

Brandon Lee Hoover

For leaf litter would it be something I just find at a store or just like natural leaf litter from my ground outside? lol

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    You can put leaf litter over the substrate so he can push off the leaves and not sink. Setup looks good. Keep a close eye on him.
    I think you can buy it, but I'm not sure where. I don't know if its safe to use leaf litter from outside. I would assume that you can use leaf litter from outside though because they live among it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You can get leaf liter from places like joshsfrogs and blackjungleterrariumsupply.
    It is just Magnolia leaves, live oak leaves, or even sea grape leaves that ware boiled to remove parasites and dried out.

Your probably going to be happier with something on the medium or large size I think.

A dish or something with traction like Grif said should help with him getting in and out and if it is set down into the soil it should reduce how high the dishes edge is above the substrate.

Great to hear he is active...... has he ate something yet?

8. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Brandon Lee Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    You can get leaf liter from places like joshsfrogs and blackjungleterrariumsupply.
    It is just Magnolia leaves, live oak leaves, or even sea grape leaves that ware boiled to remove parasites and dried out.

Your probably going to be happier with something on the medium or large size I think.

A dish or something with traction like Grif said should help with him getting in and out and if it is set down into the soil it should reduce how high the dishes edge is above the substrate.

Great to hear he is active...... has he ate something yet?
    I'm trying a saucer for now, he still won't have traction but i can set it lower into the soil and it has hardly any lip to get caught on.

He hasn't eaten he has no interest in the worms, I might try crickets soon though, thanks for all the help.

How often should I be replacing Leaf litter and the Coco-substrate?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You can just rinse off the leaf liter and reuse. The substrate should be changes when about monthly if no drainage layer below. If there is, then it can go quite some time from months to years but if you change it monthly, you can rinse the old really well, and then dry it out at about 200 degrees (watch it so it don't burn) and reuse. You can tell when its getting bad since it will begin to smell since he will be peeing in it.

Nationality
    [United States]

How is he doing Brandon?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information