Thread: Hindsight is 20/20: DON'T WAIT! RIP Lil' Red.....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Unhappy Hindsight is 20/20: DON'T WAIT! RIP Lil' Red.....

It is with a sad and heavy heart that I post this.....Lil' Red didn't make it thru the night. He had an appointment with the vet this afternoon, I should have made it sooner.

I am keeping the appt however, and bringing in my other 2 toads. just to make sure there is not an underlying problem that will rear its ugly head on these little guys as well.

Please, if your frog/toad isn't acting their usual selves, and you think there might be a reason for concern, GET TO THE VET ASAP!! The guilt is horrible, and not only would I want your animal friends to have a fighting chance, I do not wish the misery of losing a pet on anyone.

don't let the saying hold true for you, Hindsight really is 20/20, heed this!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1.1.0 American Toads: Alice & The Mad Hatter
    0.2.0 Labradors: 1 yellow, 1 chocolate ~ Dori & Madi
    1.0.0 Crazy Feline: Cracken
    0.0.8 Tetras, 1 Pleco and 2 Corycats: Mister Monster, Simon & Garfunkel
    1.0.0 Veil Tail Betta: Mister Danielson
    +/- Misc. foster dogs

"Saving one animal won't change the world, but it will change the world for that one animal."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Hindsight is 20/20: DON'T WAIT! RIP Lil' Red.....

RIP Lil Red. I'm very sorry for your loss.

4. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

S13

Damn, that sucks I was following your thread to. RIP little guy. Sorry for your loss.

6. This member thanks S13 for this post:

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora3d View Post
    It is with a sad and heavy heart that I post this.....Lil' Red didn't make it thru the night. He had an appointment with the vet this afternoon, I should have made it sooner.

I am keeping the appt however, and bringing in my other 2 toads. just to make sure there is not an underlying problem that will rear its ugly head on these little guys as well.

Please, if your frog/toad isn't acting their usual selves, and you think there might be a reason for concern, GET TO THE VET ASAP!! The guilt is horrible, and not only would I want your animal friends to have a fighting chance, I do not wish the misery of losing a pet on anyone.

don't let the saying hold true for you, Hindsight really is 20/20, heed this!!
    What was his cause of death?

Nationality
    [United States]

thanks guys. i'm so sad.

honestly, COD, probably my ignorance. i think he was being 'bullied' and wasn't able to get any food. i started separating him for feeding time, but he still wouldn't eat. i force fed him once and i don't think he liked it too much, i know i didn't enjoy doing it.

i just realized what was going on too late i fear. but that is why i am still taking the other 2 in. they seem okay, but i want an educated opinion. I will be bringing Lil' Red's remains in as well, just to see if they want to do any type of tests. i'm nervous about the transport with it being so cold outside, but i'm gonna crank the heat in the car before i take them out, and wrap their travel case in hot towels to help keep them warm. luckily it is only a 10-15 minute drive to the vet's office.

i will post the outcome when i have it. sigh.

+/- Misc. foster dogs

"Saving one animal won't change the world, but it will change the world for that one animal."

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora3d View Post
    thanks guys. i'm so sad.

honestly, COD, probably my ignorance. i think he was being 'bullied' and wasn't able to get any food. i started separating him for feeding time, but he still wouldn't eat. i force fed him once and i don't think he liked it too much, i know i didn't enjoy doing it.
    No offence, but that is why you do research, and lots of it, before taking the animal out of it's natural enviroment, and placing it in captivity. Besides it is better to take a juvenile WC amphibain over a sub adult or an adult, as the juvenile will adapt more quickly to life in captivity and grow up "knowing it" per say, where as a WC adult has grown up knowing the wild. It looks to me, that all of your toads are sub adults.

When you noticed one was eating less frequently, if you had done the proper research, you would have known to take it out, place it in a quarantine tank for a week or two to monitor it's food intake, actions, etc.

There are far to many WC (most of the time WC) amphibains on this site dying, and it being excused as "It was my ignorance" but "I learned something". If research is done ahead of time, before the animal is captured there should be no reason for it's death.

Too many people are learning from the death of their animals when they could learn before they get them and subsequently prevent their pet's death by caring for it properly.

I guarantee that toad would have lived much longer in the wild, which brings up another point, toad's arn't social, so that's why it had to compete for food.

I don't mean to give you a speach, but all it would have taken were a couple hours of reading before you got your toads and they would most likely all still be alive.

Royce

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    No offence, but that is why you do research, and lots of it, before taking the animal out of it's natural enviroment, and placing it in captivity. Besides it is better to take a juvenile WC amphibain over a sub adult or an adult, as the juvenile will adapt more quickly to life in captivity and grow up "knowing it" per say, where as a WC adult has grown up knowing the wild. It looks to me, that all of your toads are sub adults.

When you noticed one was eating less frequently, if you had done the proper research, you would have known to take it out, place it in a quarantine tank for a week or two to monitor it's food intake, actions, etc.

There are far to many WC (most of the time WC) amphibains on this site dying, and it being excused as "It was my ignorance" but "I learned something". If research is done ahead of time, before the animal is captured there should be no reason for it's death.

Too many people are learning from the death of their animals when they could learn before they get them and subsequently prevent their pet's death by caring for it properly.

I guarantee that toad would have lived much longer in the wild, which brings up another point, toad's arn't social, so that's why it had to compete for food.

I don't mean to give you a speach, but all it would have taken were a couple hours of reading before you got your toads and they would most likely all still be alive.

Royce
    hm...love the 'no offense' at the beginning but then the obvious digs to make me feel like **** that continuted after.......thats super beneficial, thanks.

Royce, I appreciate your obvious passion and love for these animals. I understand your frustration and respect your knowledge. I am not proud of being one of the masses that does it backwards and does the research after the fact. That is not how I normally act. I have no excuses, I know I am at fault and it isn't something I take lightly.

POSITIVE SIDE NOTE: I am happy to report that my toads have been given a clean bill of health by Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald. They are being watched like hawks by me now.

+/- Misc. foster dogs

Thread Information