Thread: How to keep vivarium not looking like just a bunch of plants?

BettaShawn

Question How to keep vivarium not looking like just a bunch of plants?

I have a vivarium that basically looks like a bunch of plants planted. There isn't really any depth or real focal point. What would give the vivarium a good focal point or add some good depth to improve its appeal to the eye? I have an exo terra background in it. I was thinking that maybe a large bromeliad would makeup for a focal point or maybe instead of adding diverse plants, just stick with one or two species...idk..please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: How to keep vivarium not looking like just a bunch of plants?

Well...is it a bunch of plants? What are you housing within the enclosure animal wise. Depending on what species you are managing will decide what plants you may keep. Some larger frogs will break more fragile plants, and many toads will uproot all but the hardiest of root systems with their burrows. Regardless, from an aesthetic point of view I would say your vivarium needs more color (I know plants are mostly green but work with me here) it seems as though all of them are the same shade. So your bromeliad idea seems promising especially if you got one with the large red foliage. My favorite is to go the carnivorous route; pitchers, sundews and flytraps always make interesting conversation points, and are functional at keeping fly populations low. Of course, you could always go fungal if you are keeping small frogs like darts that wont break the glowing mushrooms. So you have options, just be creative. Plants come in many shapes and sizes, so don't just keep to philodendrons, ferns, and airplane plants. Try some exotics, terrariums and vivariums support them wonderfully, and you'll enjoy your tank much more if you do.

J Teezy

maybe a cinnamon (red) crypt plant could add something? I'd place whatever plant with color you go with where you want your eyes to be attracted to. If you put in the corner then that's most likely where people are going to look first.

Flemish

Greetings from Denmark!
    - I think your tank looks beautiful... And I do think your Bromeliad works as a center piece, maybe it all just needs time to mature. And to settle in?
    Maybe you could keep a wandering jew in right hand side of your background. And a Ficus with small, heart shaped leafes on that root!?
    And also you could try to move your upper liana to go from bottom left corner, to upper right corner in order to stop the eye from "reading" the tank to easy...
    - Another trick is to decorate tank from left to right because your eye naturally seeks to read from left to right, it makes the tank not so easily read!
    Hope I make sense as English is being my second language...
    /Flemming.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by BettaShawn View Post
    I have a vivarium that basically looks like a bunch of plants planted. There isn't really any depth or real focal point. What would give the vivarium a good focal point or add some good depth to improve its appeal to the eye? I have an exo terra background in it. I was thinking that maybe a large bromeliad would makeup for a focal point or maybe instead of adding diverse plants, just stick with one or two species...idk..please help.

Hi BettaShawn,
    I think your enclosure is coming along quite nicely ! It's good to take your time.
    As mentioned, it is important to consider what will be housed in the enclosure.
    Have fun.
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi! Yes, I agree...your viv is very pretty and nicely done. I would add a colorful brom or a croton. Just a tad of color would add some depth . And both are tough plants.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I actually like your setup a lot. Is that a White's you got in the corner there? Not sure what size the tank is, but one of the things I learned is to not try to do to much in a small tank. It's tempting to load up on all kinds of different species, but it's less complicated in the long run to stick to a few staples and wait for them to fill in. You can always add more to it later. I noticed you already have ficus and pothos in there; both of which grow really fast in high humidity. The second thing I would advise is that form should follow function, just like in nature. In other words, the needs of the inhabitants come first, and that is where your focal point should come from. Depending on the species, you may want to replicate a jungle canopy (tree frogs), forest floor/understory (darts), or a marsh (fbt, aquatic species) and so on.

Consider the size and activity level of the frog when selecting plants. Something like a White's tree frog (adult) can trample all but the most robust of plants as well as dislodge bromeliads and other epiphytes off the walls. Same species will also leave copious amounts of waste which could mean having to clean out your filter/pump/water area quite often. It may then be practical to stick to a water bowl. Tree frogs in general will appreciate ample climbing/vertical hopping opportunities, so be sure to have plenty of branches and vining plants filling in the otherwise empty spaces in a vivarium.

With all that in mind, you can try a few other things like variable terrain (hills, slopes, layers) to add depth; training the pothos/ficus to grow up along the background or wrap around the vines and driftwood; lining a "path" with moss, foliage, leaf litter or pebbles that leads into the recesses of the tank.

Hope that helps.

Nationality
    [United States]

I think I see a Whites Tree Frog in the tank. And I think it looks great! The only thing I would add would be something on the top so the frog has cover when on the vines. I'm not a fan of fake plants, but I broke down and got one for my hyla chrysoscelis, and they love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information