Thread: I'm a failure

SaraBailey

Default I'm a failure

As many of you have been reading, my white's is sick and I don't know what to do. I have been monitoring her hourly and sometimes she seems great and other times she doesn't. She had her third seizure, that I'm aware of a couple minutes ago. After she is done with the seizure, she lifts her head into the air and tries to eat something, or that's what it looks like and makes a small clicking noise with it. I called the local pet store where I got her and they said that this is normal? I don't think it is. The person working said that I could bring my frog in for monitoring but I don't know if I should put that stress on her. Any opinions one what I should do? I'm running out of luck and time and since I'm a newbie at this, I feel like a failure as this is my second frog in 2 months.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: I'm a failure

I've heard that frogs make a clicking sound and stretch their heads up when they have respiratory infections. Get thee to a vet asap.
    I have a frog. She's fat and green. Her name is Gertrude, because she is fat and green.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm afraid that a vet may be your only option and NO! This is not normal behavior. Whoever told you that seizures are normal is down right idiotic and obviously knows nothing. That's like saying that its normal for anyone or any animal to have seizures.While common in some dog breeds it is still not normal. I wouldn't take it to them for anything.

You do need to take your White's to a vet that specializes in amphibians. You aren't the failure. If you are doing everything right and trying your best. Sometimes these things happen. I know its frustrating. Just gry and stay calm and get help for you frog. The problem could be neurological. Or caused by some sort of dificiency.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Your definitely not a failure. The frogs probably had some issue when you purchased them and over time has progressed.
    I would not take to the pet store to monitor the frog and would get vet attention since the seizures need attention ASAP.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

wesleybrouwer

You're not a failure, it's just that lots of petshops don't care about animals at all, selling sick animals.
    In this case probably to you.
    That it is the 2nd in 2 months, makes me think you got it from the same place again?
    It's a shame some care about money more then they care about a living thing.
    I see it alot around here as well, when talking to them about something that's wrong, just gives you an indifferent or sometimes even angry answer.
    Terrible how some of the stores deliver such a bad name to the pettrade.

Best thing you could do is never bring another penny to that place and try to find a respectable breeder or petstore.
    You can tell by reading and asking around here all different things about the frog you like to buy,
    this way you know the answers come from people knowing what they are talking about.

It may well be, that the info you got while buying the frog wasn't right, wich caused you to keep it in a wrong way.
    Again, not you're fault, but that of the one making money on you.

Whenever you're setup is perfect for the frog you like,
    go and buy one.
    Ask all sorts of things, even if you know the answer yourself.
    It helps you determine wether the seller knows how to properly care for the animal and gives you a better chance of aqcuiring a healthy frog when he does know at least the basic care.

Good thing you're on frogforum.
    You'll end up a frog expert in no time

For this frog.... i think there is not to much you can do for it sadly enough.
    These are signs the frog won't last long anymore.
    You may try visiting a vet that knows a thing about amphibians,
    but in most cases these are the final symptoms of something that needed treatment a lot sooner.

Hopefully it won't discourage you from keeping frogs.
    They are wonderful pets.
    Seeing that you feel this bad about yourself about all this,
    i guess with some good guidance from other more experienced hobbyists around here providing you with the right information,
    every frog will be lucky to end up with you in no-time

NetworkLabs

Dang, I really hope your frog can make it. Like everyone else said, a experienced vet is the key! And please choose one that's operated/cared for frogs a few times! Sometimes, they may say their qualified, but have NO CLUE on what todo! I seriously hope your little beloved frog friend loses these seizures and lives a happy normal life. Think of it this way: when he makes it, both of your relationships will tighten very much. Again, hope he makes it.

SaraBailey

I have been keeping an eye on her throughout the day and she seems to be doing better right now. She is able to move her head around and picks it up, she wasa climbing the wall of her tank last night and tearing apart her plants, which is much more like her. I called a professional, and they said that I should try to increase the temp in the tank to see if that's the cause of the issue. I had the temp originally at 68, like it is in the rest of my house, but put a heating pad underneathe it and the temp is now 75 and she seems to be a bit more active. I hope it's an easy fix like this, but it seems a little too good to be true.

Nationality
    [United States]

Always hope for the best. You would be surprised how a little warmth can give them a pick me up. Hopefully she pulls through.

S13

Yeah 68 is way to low. He needs 80-85 daytime temps and 50-60% humidity. Also please don't discourage yourself. From what I'm reading you are doing a kickass job looking after him Get those temps and humidity up and see how he starts doing.

Thread Information