Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 gallon vertical test build

J Teezy

Default 10 gallon vertical test build

Well slowly getting things rolling on this test build. Picked up a used 10 gallon for an aquatic store for $6.00. Filled it with water to test the seals, everything looks good.

Couple of pics. They don't really show much but it was more for a visual for myself to get some ideas

The metal jigger is a representation of the bulkhead with strainer drain i'll be putting in. The background is going to be a DIY rock wall made from styrofoam sheets bought at Menards. A 3/4 inch thick piece measuring 2 feet by 8 feet was like $1.50. Hobby lobby had pretty much the same stuff but it was a 1" thick that measured 12"x36" for $8.00, so keep that in mind if you plan to do the styrofoam route, check your local hardware stores first because hobby lobby is way over priced.

I can't really progress from here because I need to get my glass drill bit and bulkhead installed so that i can make the final cut on the length of the background and install the supports for the eggcrate false bottom.

I thought of wrapping the background partially around one of the sides but after i stuck some styrofoam in there on the side to get an idea of how it would look I come to the conclusion that I was loosing alot of space in the viv and it would look crammed, so I think for this one i'm going to just stick with a backwall design only

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

thadmy

Default Re: 10 gallon vertical test build

Good start I went the styrofoam route too, I then covered it with GS and it turned out GREAT our atleast I think so for a first try haha.

Looking forward to this build.
    Good luck

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Remember to seal the front lower INSIDE around what use to be the top plastic. Although you are putting in a front lower glass or plexi piece, the original top is not sealed on the inside from leaking.

J Teezy

i think i'm going to use more styroform to make my rocks. Just found a guy in my cities fish club who is going to drill my tank for me, so as soon as he is available to do it will be getting that done so i can then set the FB in place so I can cut the background to its final length and get started.

One problem I'm having atm is finding some safe silicon to use. People are saying don't use anything that is for bathrooms, kitches, etc. Home Depot has GE Silicon I and II and DAP brand stuff but i'm not sure if its safe to use or not, the label doesn't really give much information about any stuff that's in it that could be an issue

thadmy

thadmy

Most outside door and window by GE doesn't have anti-mildew in it. That is the stuff I used and I haven't had a problem

J Teezy

Ok, i'll probably grab a tube of that then, getting the tank drilled tomorrow morning so should be able to get cracking this weekend

thadmy

Yeah and I have mold growing in my tank so it must be an ok brand haha.... I figure if molds growing I'm in the clear

J Teezy

well started messing around with the background. Not sure how i feel about it at the moment

Nationality
    [Canada]

I think it looks good so far!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Most use the GE Silicone II version anymore since the smells disappear faster than the GE Silicone I
    and as stated: Outdoor window and door versions.

J Teezy

only GE Silicon II i saw was Kitchen, bath, Plumbing kind.

Little more puzzle playing on the background. Looks ok in raw state i guess

J Teezy

glass drilled and drain assembly complete

Siliconed the inside rim of the tank

Siliconed the styrofoam to the backing.

Next step will be quikreteing the rockwall

Picture of the drain assembly (tank is upside down in the picture so that i could attach the drain assembly temporarly

Put the background in to see how tight it fit. Going have to shave one of the sides down a tiny bit so that its not so snug. I want to try and make it so I don't have to silicone it in but we'll see.

J Teezy

decided that i want to be able to get to the bulkhead strainer (should be coming in the mail in the next couple days) if I needed to, for some odd reason it gets clogged, so I made an access hole

And a cover for it which along with the rest of the eggcrate will have window screen over it

J Teezy

did the first coat of quikrete today. Wasn't very happy with the process because the quikrete i had was not mixing well, after mixing it up it would quickly seperate from the water (the mortar would go to the bottom of my bowl and the water on top), so i was constantly stiring it up, getting some on my brush, applying, stirring, dipping, applying, etc. Going to try unsanded tile grout tomorrow for the next layer

J Teezy

found a couple of frogs

thadmy

Oh yeah Rockband haha

J Teezy

Haven't played that in a long time, Battlefied 3 is all i really play, but back to frogs

The quikrete layer i put down didn't adhere very well it was flaking off pretty easy, so i took a paintbrushed and brushed the majority of it off and then applied unsanded grout. The grout went on easier so hopefully it will adhere better than the quikrete did

J Teezy

2nd coat of unsanded grout applied

J Teezy

3rd and final coat of grout applied. I liked the grout way better than quikrete. Way easier to work with in my opinion. False floor is just about done, needs to be screened. Will be doing the acrylic paint work this weekend

Pictures are rough pics. Background will be pushed all the way to the top of the tank and most likely siliconed in unless i can find a way to hold it there without having to silicone it. I'd rather make it easily removable if possible

With access panel removed

access panel on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information