Thread: Identifying Redlegged Syndrome

tmalla1

Question Identifying Redlegged Syndrome

Hey everyone. Ive had my Whites for about two months now and love them! Although since i am fairly new to frog keeping, i was wondering if there is an easy way to determine if my frogs have red leg or not? I know their back legs are normally a pinkish color but im scared i wont be able to differentiate that frog red leg..

Any help for a beginner?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Identifying Redlegged Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by tmalla1 View Post
    Hey everyone. Ive had my Whites for about two months now and love them! Although since i am fairly new to frog keeping, i was wondering if there is an easy way to determine if my frogs have red leg or not? I know their back legs are normally a pinkish color but im scared i wont be able to differentiate that frog red leg..

Any help for a beginner?
    Its usually dark around the in thighs and can be on the abdomin as well. Looks like blood traped under the skin which is actually what it is. Its caused by a bacterial infection that causes the small blood vessels under their skin to swell and burst. Cleanliness is the best preventative step you can take.

tmalla1

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Its usually dark around the in thighs and can be on the abdomin as well. Looks like blood traped under the skin which is actually what it is. Its caused by a bacterial infection that causes the small blood vessels under their skin to swell and burst. Cleanliness is the best preventative step you can take.

So should I be looking for more blood red coloring on the legs? And just ignore the normal pinkish coloring underneath the legs? I just want to make sure that that coloring is normal

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by tmalla1 View Post
    So should I be looking for more blood red coloring on the legs? And just ignore the normal pinkish coloring underneath the legs? I just want to make sure that that coloring is normal
    Sometimes when it first starts there will be dark pinkish spots on the skin. A lot of people misdiagnose this disease for part of their frogs natural color or from abrasions on the frog. There are many other symptoms that take place after the disease fully manifests itself. Dark red spots under the skin are a sign of the disease reaching full on infection which is when the vessels have burst. Bloating is also a sign. I don't think you have anything to worry about. A lot of people do freak out when their frog has a discoloration that they haven't seen before which is good that you're observent, but most of the time it is nothing.

Pics would help if you post some.

tmalla1

Im attaching the pictures to the one im concerned about. Ive had him and the other guy for about a full month now and feed them gut loaded crickets and occasional mealworms. The other one is doing great and definitely bigger than this one. This one moves around fine and seems active, he just doesnt eat as much. There is a spot under his right arm that concerns me? its a dark purplish spot that looks like something hanging off of it? (I dont know if its skin or what) I took him out to look at it further and i still dont know..

Sorry its a little hard to see in the pictures, i did the best i could..
    Attached Images Attached Images    

JHansson514

What a cute little guy! The piece that is hanging off of him just looks like excess skin that didn't get eaten when he shed. The legs do not look like they have red leg. As for the darker parts under the arm, I don't think it is something to be concerned with. It's kind of like an arm pit. Grif might have a little more insight on it though.

tmalla1

Quote Originally Posted by JHansson514 View Post
    What a cute little guy! The piece that is hanging off of him just looks like excess skin that didn't get eaten when he shed. The legs do not look like they have red leg. As for the darker parts under the arm, I don't think it is something to be concerned with. It's kind of like an arm pit. Grif might have a little more insight on it though.
    Ah thank you! I love having them in my room. Gives it a nice little touch for a college student!

Thread Information