Thread: how much/often for force feeding??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default how much/often for force feeding??

i am not pleased to have to do this to my poor lil' Red, but he is being starved by my other 2 american toads. unfortunately i did not notice this as soon as i should have. i put him in a separate container for feeding now, but he just does not seem interested in the crickets or meal worms i put out for him. 2 days ago i managed to get a mealworm halfway in his mouth, and luckily he finished the job.

how often should i be force feeding him if he doesn't start to eat on his own, and how much? should i just stick to one mealworm/cricket at a time?

i also noticed he is still shedding, which confuses me, because that seems to indicate he is growing right? but the poor little guy is still so small and skinny, i am concernced for my little guy any helpful advice is appreciated, thank you!

1.1.0 American Toads: Alice & The Mad Hatter
    0.2.0 Labradors: 1 yellow, 1 chocolate ~ Dori & Madi
    1.0.0 Crazy Feline: Cracken
    0.0.8 Tetras, 1 Pleco and 2 Corycats: Mister Monster, Simon & Garfunkel
    1.0.0 Veil Tail Betta: Mister Danielson
    +/- Misc. foster dogs

"Saving one animal won't change the world, but it will change the world for that one animal."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: how much/often for force feeding??

Occasionally, toads as well as frogs will go off their feed, especially in the winter months. I would keep the toad separate (could be bullied by the others). Since many toads are nocturnal, hand feed during the evening hours, if the toad refuses, remove the food in the morning and try again next evening. If the toad remains in a quiet place, it will eventually eat. Force feeding should only be used as a last resort.

In the meantime, get a fecal sample and take to a vet. That way they can determine if there is a parasite. Crickets should be gut-loaded using a good vitamin supplement. I also recommend getting a liquid Vitamin A supplement and place one drop on its back daily until toad is feeding, then one drop weekly as part of its regular diet. Many frog problems can be remedied by proper diet.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

I do feed in the evening, and the bigger guy seems to like the schedule, he is always wide-eyed and waiting to hunt around 6ish. he is really the only one i've seen eat. the 2nd biggest likes to soak over eating, weirdo. the littlest guy, doesn't come out much at all...I think he will get his own tank this weekend until i see vast improvement. i will be sure to grab a cricket keeper too so i can be sure i'm getting those punks nice and fat for my toads. and i do also dust them with calcium/d3 before every other feeding.

so he should be eating while shedding though right?

as far as the vitamin A drops, is that something i can just purcahse at the grocery store or vitamin cottage?? the stuff for humans is ok?

thanks, appreciate the advice!

+/- Misc. foster dogs

"Saving one animal won't change the world, but it will change the world for that one animal."

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora3d View Post
    I do feed in the evening, and the bigger guy seems to like the schedule, he is always wide-eyed and waiting to hunt around 6ish. he is really the only one i've seen eat. the 2nd biggest likes to soak over eating, weirdo. the littlest guy, doesn't come out much at all...I think he will get his own tank this weekend until i see vast improvement. i will be sure to grab a cricket keeper too so i can be sure i'm getting those punks nice and fat for my toads. and i do also dust them with calcium/d3 before every other feeding.
    OK, looks like a good plan. Sometimes larger frogs will bully smaller ones and it's best to keep them separated. My toads like to soak too, often using it as a public relief station

so he should be eating while shedding though right?
    Toads will not feed during shedding. However, be ready with the food when they are done! Don't worry if they eat the shed, it's normal.

as far as the vitamin A drops, is that something i can just purcahse at the grocery store or vitamin cottage?? the stuff for humans is ok?

thanks, appreciate the advice!
    These liquid vitamins should be available over the counter at any good pharmacy. Human stuff is OK.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

thanks Terry!

...and GO BIG RED!! (assuming you're a husker fan, my big red guy is aka Herbie).

+/- Misc. foster dogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Unhappy Re: how much/often for force feeding??

okay, so last nite i took lil' red and put him in his own little holding tank to feed. he hopped around and looked at the small mealworms wiggling around, turned his head and hopped away. how long should i leave him in there to have the option to eat or not??

i also put him in a little warm honey bath soak for a few minutes, he didn't seem to enjoy that too much this time though how long should i have him soak?? i am just really concerned since he doesn't seem to move from his spot in the main tank much at all, at least not while i have been observing them.

i'll give it another try tonite and if he doesn't seem to be interested in grabbing it himself i'll have to try and get another food item in his little mouth. i would take a fecal sample to the vet if i could get some poo from him!!

+/- Misc. foster dogs

Nationality
    [United States]

*SIGH* Poor Lil' Red looks even worse. he just wont eat. and i just can't make myself force that little tiny mouth open again.....i hope he survives the nite, i am making a vet appt for him tomorrow, they couldn't get me in tonite.

please keep him in your thoughts, i really really want him to hang on :*(

+/- Misc. foster dogs

Thread Information