Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cage aggression

Mikey

Default Re: Cage aggression

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Agree with your thoughts and would not use any metal studded or gloves made of metal fibers for same reasons we do not use metal tweezers. This page although of commercial interest has good info on glove selection and one of it's references takes you to an OSHA page on gloves: Cut Resistant Glove Selection and Use - Document #301 - EZ Facts Safety Info - Lab Safety Supply . Literally, think we would want something offering both cut and puncture resistance.

There are specific gloves made for animal handling and if you Google "bite resistant gloves" will get to places like: Laboratory Safety Gloves - Kent Scientific Corporation with info and offerings.

I have no knowledge of how an African Bullfrog would react to biting a gloved hand. Tend to think the synthetic material would be released within a few seconds. Stilgar once jumped and bite a fake plant in his tank during feeding and released it moments after. Did chomp off half a leaf of it, he, he, he. Good luck and hope this info helps you.

Carlos those gloves from :: Laboratory Safety Gloves - Kent Scientific Corporation are soooo baddd ***! reasonable @ 80 bucks for that type of bite resistance too! oh man I'm calling them tommorow.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beardo

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Just because your animals don't like you doesn't mean his animals don't like him!!
    Actually, it does. Frogs cannot "like" anyone. I cannot believe I am actually having this conversation with adults. I hope you are merely an aloof preteen......then you would at least have an excuse lol.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Just because your animals don't like you doesn't mean his animals don't like him!!
    That's true... IF we were talking about dogs or something. We are talking about bullFROGS and Pacman FROGS, which cannot feel all these feelings that we do, or like us.

I have no opinion about gloves/no gloves, but it freigtens me to see how many experience frog keepers that actually thinks that their frogs like them. Didn't thought anthropomorphism was actually used in the hobby, other than by very new keepers, that might have missed the fact that they are not mammals and so on...
    I'm agreeing with everything Beardo said (on this specific topic, not neccesarily about the gloves-thing).

EDIT: Just want to add that of course, the animals can be "trained" (in lack of a better word) to not see us as a danger, therefore not biting/trying to escape etc. It does not mean that they feel affection towards us. It just mean that it does not need to bite us to survive.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Carlos those gloves from :: Laboratory Safety Gloves - Kent Scientific Corporation are soooo baddd ***! reasonable @ 80 bucks for that type of bite resistance too! oh man I'm calling them tommorow.
    Glad I could be of help Mikey! I'm looking at getting better gloves too! My cichlid fish love me and the T's are OK; but Stilgar has this prankster like behavior I do not trust.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
    Actually, it does. Frogs cannot "like" anyone. I cannot believe I am actually having this conversation with adults. I hope you are merely an aloof preteen......then you would at least have an excuse lol.
    I never said anywhere within any statement I've typed here that my frogs felt human emotions. Sorry if you misinterpreted that. When I used the word "trust" I did not mean it in as anthropomorphism. Trust can result from, for lack of a better word, training. And no, I don't consider my frogs "trained" the way a dog would be. They have adapted to their lives in captivity. They do not see us as a threat, and they do recognize as bringers of food.

Any inferences about the psychology of frogs is going to be nothing more than supposition. There is no scientific proof one way or the other. Most information is going to be based on personal experience not empirical evidence. Yes, you can make arguments either way. People will always find information to support their own viewpoint, even if they have to twist it. If a frog can distinguish between the mating call of frogs of different species, then it stands to reason that they can distinguish between a frog and man-made noises. What you would call base animal instinct, I call intelligence. No, they may not be as intelligent as other animals, but you are severely undervaluing them. Many experienced keepers and breeders feel affection for their amphibians. As long as it doesn't cross the line to over-handling and "cuddling" how does that cause any harm? If proper husbandry is used, then being emotionally attached to amphibians is harmless. You may see it as folly to be anything other than detached, but many would disagree. It is a matter of respecting life, a life that you for which are responsible. As soon as we give them names we are humanizing them to a degree. If you are content with having numbered amphibians and reptiles in racks, then that is obviously your choice. Please don't antagonize others for being more openhearted. We can live with our attachments and you can wallow in your cynicism and solitude.

I realize that you will respond to this, but I won't be answering to this thread any more. This is not the purpose of this forum. We seek to be constructive. A person asked for simple advice about gloves and the thread turned into something very different. Please don't antagonize people and don't attack them on a basis of age or their opnions. There are many younger users on here (and no, I am not one of them), but that does not mean that they are any less intelligent of that their opinions are any less valued. Please read the forum rules. Thank you.

Beardo

I never said anywhere within any statement I've typed here that my frogs felt human emotions. Sorry if you misinterpreted that. When I used the word "trust" I did not mean it in as anthropomorphism. Trust can result from, for lack of a better word, training. And no, I don't consider my frogs "trained" the way a dog would be. They have adapted to their lives in captivity. They do not see us as a threat, and they do recognize as bringers of food.
    LOL.....You're quite the dodger of words, Grif. Have you considered a career in politics? Your own statements were pretty cut and dry. You used the word "trust".....you did not say your frog was trained.

If a frog can distinguish between the mating call of frogs of different species, then it stands to reason that they can distinguish between a frog and man-made noises.
    From what I have gathered, frogs' ears are actually "tuned" to *only* hear the calls of their species, meaning they are unable to hear other species or, in theory, man-made noises.

What you would call base animal instinct, I call intelligence
    What you call a tomato, I call an eggplant. Your logic is assumptive at best.

Many experienced keepers and breeders feel affection for their amphibians.
    I am one of those keepers, but my own (human) feelings does not change my perception of my captives nor does it put me under any illusions of their capabilities.

It seems to me that you think the purpose of this forum is to hold hands, sing Koombyah and frollick through the fields holding hands with our frogs.....you are apparently incapable of having point/counter-point discussions without resorting to faux-defensive statements. I have read the rules, and nowhere in this thread have I "attacked" anyone. It sounds like opposing viewpoints simply don't sit well with you. Which sucks, because a closed mind is the worst kind to have.

Mikey

Does any of this really matter?

My frogs are always hungry and when they see me they think lunging towards me will get food. Which is what normally occurs. The fact remains I do not trust the frogs, and certain individuals in this thread have given me great advice! That I appreciate greatly!

Lets avoid turning this into a question of frog psychology, everyone is going to have a different opinion on how animals react to people, which stems from the different ways people interact with their animals. The discussion is deviating far from the point.

Thanks all for your helpful advice! Really glad other people have similar experiences

Nationality
    [United States]

Does any of this really matter?

My frogs are always hungry and when they see me they think lunging towards me will get food. Which is what normally occurs. The fact remains I do not trust the frogs, and certain individuals in this thread have given me great advice! That I appreciate greatly!

Lets avoid turning this into a question of frog psychology, everyone is going to have a different opinion on how animals react to people, which stems from the different ways people interact with their animals. The discussion is deviating far from the point.

Thanks all for your helpful advice! Really glad other people have similar experiences
    Don't worry Mikey. We settled it. Hope that find a way to avoid injury withwhichever gloves you've desided to use.

Beardo

Yeah, the proverbial hatchet has been buried, lol.

I also hope you find a way to avoid a bite.....but if you get tired of dodging mouths, let me know and I'll take them off your hands lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have to say that this thread is full of hilarity. Pixie frogs are known for their aggression. If you're scared of said frog and afraid of getting bit by it, then IMO you don't need to have one. Anything with teeth can & will bite. The best and logical way to not get bit is to not stick your hand in front of his/her face. Every time I come into my bedroom my male pixie frog will lunge at the glass and try to eat me. I find it cute in my own weird way. Any cage maintenance I have to do (mainly changing the water tub), I pick my frog up from behind and place him in a separate container. He tries to bite me, but I maneuver to where he can't and place him in a separate container until I am done doing whatever it is I need to do.

It comes down to whether you want 2 small nails drilled into your hand from a head capable of killing large rats...Not sure if your into s and m, but ill avoid that the best I can.
    I just have to giggle at this. ;3

Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by toxxxickitten View Post
    I have to say that this thread is full of hilarity. Pixie frogs are known for their aggression. If you're scared of said frog and afraid of getting bit by it, then IMO you don't need to have one. Anything with teeth can & will bite. The best and logical way to not get bit is to not stick your hand in front of his/her face. Every time I come into my bedroom my male pixie frog will lunge at the glass and try to eat me. I find it cute in my own weird way. Any cage maintenance I have to do (mainly changing the water tub), I pick my frog up from behind and place him in a separate container. He tries to bite me, but I maneuver to where he can't and place him in a separate container until I am done doing whatever it is I need to do.

I just have to giggle at this. ;3
    If that is your "male" in your avatar he's a baby. You state you have 1 male, I'm dealing with 1 shy of a dozen. I have no issue moving them out of the cage to clean, and I'm not afraid of my frogs. I could have just as easily made a thread stating "anyone else love getting attacked by their frog everytime you go in". I love to the attitude, for the most part I was sharing so chill

Nationality
    [United States]

If that is your "male" in your avatar he's a baby. You state you have 1 male, I'm dealing with 1 shy of a dozen. I have no issue moving them out of the cage to clean, and I'm not afraid of my frogs. I could have just as easily made a thread stating "anyone else love getting attacked by their frog everytime you go in". I love to the attitude, for the most part I was sharing so chill
    No, that is not the "male" I'm referring to. I have two. The one in my avatar is my baby and I have no idea what it is. My other one is 100% a male as I have heard him calling several times. I believe you used the word "fear" in your very first post about getting bit. If you fear getting bit by the frog...you are afraid of your frog. I know at any time I could get bit by any of my animals and some I have many times. I never fear it, just sucks when it happens.

Mikey

To clarify...

I made this thread when I was bored. I thought I would discuss cage aggression. Never once do I hesitate to deal with, handle, move , feed, take care of the frogs I hand picked, NAMED and grew since babies. I have had some of these animals in my possession for over 2 years. I absolutely love each and everyone of them. For you to say I need to get rid of them is offending. You are the second person to suggest this, therefore this thread is deviating far from the point. I will not ever re-home, sell, or give away any of my 32 frogs.

Thank you all the members who attempted to constructively discuss, this is the last post ill make in this thread. sick of defending myself and actions to people who know nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information