Thread: 2's Company? Or a mistake?

c0urt maRie

Question 2's Company? Or a mistake?

I recently bought a whites tree frog and he is about 2 inches big I think? He was at the pet store with a female and I was wondering if it would be better to go get the female or leave him alone. Would it make him more active? They used to always be together at the store.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

S13

Default Re: 2's Company? Or a mistake?

Granted that they have the space to live together, I don't see a problem. I think it starts becoming a problem when people want to house two different species with two totally different needs together.

Jess

To my knowledge, Frogs are fine alone. In the wild, they probably don't see another frog except for mating. Of course, like Omar said, if you have the space (the bigger always being better), and they're the same type of frog...they will live happily together.
    One thing to make sure of, is that the frog you get is similar in size to your other frog. Unfortunately with frogs, if it's smaller then them, and it moves and can fit in their mouth, they will eat it. It's also always recommended to quarantine a new frog for 30 days before putting it in with your original, so as not to pass on any diseases or parasites it might have.
    As to him not being very active at the moment, its more likely, since you got him recently that he's just getting used to his new environment. Moving to a new home can be stressful on a froggie. Just give him a bit of time, and he should come out of his shell . Hope that helps!

c0urt maRie

Thanks guys!

JHansson514

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    To my knowledge, Frogs are fine alone... One thing to make sure of, is that the frog you get is similar in size to your other frog... It's also always recommended to quarantine a new frog for 30 days before putting it in with your original, so as not to pass on any diseases or parasites it might have.
    As to him not being very active at the moment, its more likely, since you got him recently that he's just getting used to his new environment. Moving to a new home can be stressful on a froggie. Just give him a bit of time, and he should come out of his shell . Hope that helps!
    I agree with everything Jess said. Even though White's are fine on their own, I do believe my male and female love each other (even if that makes me crazy). They are always sleeping together and climbing on top of each other (in a non-mating way). I say if you've got the room - go for a second!

Thread Information