Thread: springtails/woodlice

eric048

Default springtails/woodlice

I am looking for a starter culture of both springtails or wood lice, I want to set up a vivarium for my dart, and red eye (separate of course) and I need some janitors for the tanks, if anyone has some they don't want or are willing to share let me know

Poly

Default Re: springtails/woodlice

If you were in Canada, I'd give you some! I bought a small culture for 8$ two months ago, and since then, I have probably upwards of 1000 springtails, just waiting to put them into the vivs. They are very easy to culture.

eric048

thanks, ill keep looking, no point in shipping them out to me lol

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You will probably have to order them online. I ordered my springtails from josh's frogs.

eric048

Yeah I saw they have them on there, PETCO.com has them too, I wanted wood lice too though

Nationality
    [United States]

Check out BugsInCyberspace.com buy live feeder insect species roach flies and more

They have several nice varieties of isopods (woodlice) and springtails. For cleanup duty, the giant orange variety is great because they are too large for darts to eat (not sure if RETFs would get them), but they produce tiny offspring that are a good supplement to any frog that eats small prey. They reproduce quickly also. On the other extreme, the tropical micropods are really good because they are probably too small for the RETF. The dwarf white isopods are also good. The giant orange and dwarf whites reproduce more quickly that some of the other species I've tried. I'd recommend getting two varieties of isopods (one large and one small) and some springtails.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

eric048

Thank you do much JimO that helps a lot, how many cultures should I order for a 20g tall or a 29g

eric048

Also how easy is to just to collect some from a wooded area nearby? Is that safe

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

i got a little 8 oz sample of both from Abby about 3 months ago for free. not sure if she still has any left but wont hurt if you ask or just buy it from her Herpetological Girl (HG)
    the springtails are going crazy now in my master culture, but not so much luck for my woodlice(maybe I am just not good at looking for them lol).
    if you dont need them until a month later, just one or two culture should work

and DONT!!! DONT buy it from josh's, they will just send you 30 tiny bugs and half of them are dead for $10. (dont get me wrong they r still good at the dry stuff just all the living one that I had bought...sux)

eric048

A friend of mine bought fruitflies and they came molded from josh so idk ill ask abby

Nationality
    [United States]

I have woodlice in my viv and, yes, my retf's eat them, lol! Great little cleaners though.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

eric048

can I have some?

Tankfull Tropicals

Royce. Hi, I live in Canada on Vancouver island and can NOT find "Canadian" Vivarium Supplier. I need a Springtail Culture and want to buy 7 Red eyed tree frogs once I finish building my 48 cu. ft. / 360 gallon Vivarium. Thanks for ANY help! Doug.

Thread Information