Thread: Geckos rooming with Red Eyes

scottore

Smile Geckos rooming with Red Eyes

I was thinking of putting my house gecko inside the vivarium I built for my red eyed tree frog. I have seen it before in videos and stuff, but
    I was looking for some more input to wether or not it could have any negative effects on the frog. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Geckos rooming with Red Eyes

all of the info i've read advises against housing them together due to toxins, etc.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Nice timing, since this thread is currently active:
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...phic-pics.html

Do the frog and the gecko a favor and let them live by themselves.

Nationality
    [United States]

My retf was housed with geckos at my local mall. When I bought him he had scratches all over his back, likely from the geckos climbing near him and/or trying to catch the same crickets . There was nothing else rough in the terrarium for him to get scratched on so it was likely the two geckos he was living with. I doubt intentional, but...

Twiggy was very thin and hurt when I brought him home. It took me three months to heal him up.

I would house them separately.

- concerned friend -
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

JHansson514

I work at a local pet store and whenever anyone asks if they can house different species together, no matter what they are, I tell them no and rattle off all the reasons of why it is not a good idea (I'm sure we all know those reasons). However I do have to say that I am guilty of doing just that. I house my White's Tree Frogs with my African Fat-Tailed gecko. Yes, I know this is more than likely not a good idea, but here was my thinking. They have very similar housing requirements, the AFT remains on the ground since he cannot climb and the White's spend all of their time off the ground. Since they spend their time in two different areas, this was the only reason I thought it might work. Also, the frogs were large enough that there was no way they could be considered a snack and there is always plenty of food in the tank so there is never competition. They have been together for 1 1/2 years with no problems. Occasionally they even share the humid hide. Now that's not to say that it doesn't make me nervous any time they come within close contact, but none of them have ever had a scratch from the other. Also, I had a small second tank setup for a long time just in case I had to separate them at any moment.

This brings me back to the beginning. It's never a "good" idea to house different species together, but of course the idea has crossed many peoples' minds. Yes, I got lucky, but there are more horror stories out there than happy endings. However, I've also learned you can only beat people over the head so many times with a recommendation, but sometimes they need to learn on their own. Just don't let it be at the cost of your little guy. Whatever you do, be prepared for the consequences.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes there have been some people get lucky housing different species together, but frogs and I do mean all secrete toxins from their skin. Although not all are bad enough to harm you with handling them it may harm the Gecko if they share the same water supply. Also both these animals can be territorial. So even another animal could be considered a threat to the others teritory. Its not worth the risk. Just as you should never house different species of frog together so should you not house different species of animal. Lizards and frogs DON'T mix. It is a bad situation that you may not be prepared to deal with.

Play it safe. Keep them seperate

scottore

yeah I know the general rule of thumb but I don't think them hurting each other would be an issue since this gecko can barely kill a baby roach. I was more concerned about possible toxins and such but I don't know to much on that issue.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Think of it like this:
    Is there some way they can benefit from it? No
    Is there a possibility that they can get harmed/become unhealthy? Yes.

When thinking about it like that, the decision becomes pretty easy.

Thread Information