Thread: is this true?

RAAV

Default is this true?

i just read that you can keep a AB in shallow water with no land is this ture and If so has anyone one here done it and was your frog ok or did it get sick? i am just wondering i have read it a few times but dont know anyone that has

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mikey

Default Re: is this true?

You can keep ABF's in a shallow heated water system, like a rack with water in the bins. It is not the healthiest option for your frog for many reasons.

-Ammonia levels from urine and feces can leave your frog sick, burned (with extremely high levels), ect.

-No land to dry, I find that my AFB's spend 80% of their time in the water, and 20% drying / digesting in their hot spots, I would not take away that from my frogs, I believe its very important

-Chytrid Fungus would THRIVE in an environment like this.

Pro's:

-Feeding response is absolutely excellent.

-Very easy to clean, dump and add de-chlorinated H20

Im sure I missed some stuff, but to answer your question it can be done. It's not ideal tho.

RAAV

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You can keep African Bullfrog's in a shallow heated water system, like a rack with water in the bins. It is not the healthiest option for your frog for many reasons.

-Ammonia levels from urine and feces can leave your frog sick, burned (with extremely high levels), ect.

-No land to dry, I find that my AFB's spend 80% of their time in the water, and 20% drying / digesting in their hot spots, I would not take away that from my frogs, I believe its very important

-Chytrid Fungus would THRIVE in an environment like this.

Pro's:

-Feeding response is absolutely excellent.

-Very easy to clean, dump and add de-chlorinated H20

Im sure I missed some stuff, but to answer your question it can be done. It's not ideal tho.
    thanks for the great info

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by RAAV View Post
    i just read that you can keep a AB in shallow water with no land is this ture and If so has anyone one here done it and was your frog ok or did it get sick? i am just wondering i have read it a few times but dont know anyone that has
    If by "no land" you mean "no substrate", then, yes, that's how I keep my AB, without substrate. However, like Mikey said, I do have areas for them to get out of the water, so they are not constantly in the water. I rarely see my frogs out of the water, though.

Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by Jimifrog View Post
    If by "no land" you mean "no substrate", then, yes, that's how I keep my AB, without substrate. However, like Mikey said, I do have areas for them to get out of the water, so they are not constantly in the water. I rarely see my frogs out of the water, though.
    exactly , provide something dry like jimi does!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by RAAV View Post
    I keep Stilgar in a water set-up since he got home early November last year. Has grown from 2 to almost 6 in. in that time and is healthy with no feeding problems. There is an upturned clay pot dish in 20 gal. tank for him to bask, but rarely uses it. Heat comes from 100 watt ceramic heat lamp controlled by dimmer.

Intend to move him to bigger tank (75 or 40 gallon) this Spring and will have a larger dry area; but plan a habitat that will mostly be a wet marsh similar to ponds they breed on in the wild.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

RAAV

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    I keep Stilgar in a water set-up since he got home early November last year. Has grown from 2 to almost 6 in. in that time and is healthy with no feeding problems. There is an upturned clay pot dish in 20 gal. tank for him to bask, but rarely uses it. Heat comes from 100 watt ceramic heat lamp controlled by dimmer.

Intend to move him to bigger tank (75 or 40 gallon) this Spring and will have a larger dry area; but plan a habitat that will mostly be a wet marsh similar to ponds they breed on in the wild.
    good to no thanks for the info i like the clay dish idea

Quote Originally Posted by Jimifrog View Post
    If by "no land" you mean "no substrate", .
    ya sorry that was my question

Beardo

I have raised many Pacman Frogs using setups like the one Carlos is using with no problems.

Thread Information