Thread: How to turn a plastic storage container into a side-opening tank?

LazyEyedFroggie

Default How to turn a plastic storage container into a side-opening tank?

I notice that a lot of small pets feel safer when their owner isn't coming in from above like an eagle Is there a way to safely attach metal bar doors (bird-cage style), or sliding glass doors, etc. to the side of a plastic box? Perhaps with hot glue, hooks, hinges, etc?
    Thanks!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RAAV

Default Re: How to turn a plastic storage container into a side-opening tank?

i have not done that but i to would love to see what others post!!!!

Poly

It would be quite simple.

Find a wooden (it must be made of wood, preferably upwards of 1/2" thick) photo frame that is roughly the dimensions of the size of door you want... Then cut a square out of the center of the box using a jig saw on a low speed setting (it's work great, and you'd have nice straight lines). Make sure to make the hole in the box at least 1.5" smaller all the way around than the frame. A cheap hinge can be purchased for 2-3$. Once you cut out the hole in the front of the box either use small pop rivits or 1/4" carriage head bolts to fasten the hinge to the box, then to fasten the hinge to the picture farme, use small 10mm-15mm wood screws (the shortness of the screw is to make sure it dosen't come out on the other side of the hinge, making it look bad and breaking the wood) and carefully screw them through the hinge into the wood. To make a latch to hold the "door" shut, use a strip of velcro, one side fastened to the door, and the other to the box.

For ventilation, cut a hole in the lid of the container, and hot glue some plastic or aluminum window screen to the inside of the hole.

~Royce

LazyEyedFroggie

Thanks, Royce!! Just one question... How could I screw the hinges onto the plastic container without a possible hazard to the animals inside, and preventing the plastic from breaking? Or possibly I'm just misunderstanding your description Could you draw a diagram and post pictures of it? I follow things a lot easier when I see pictures, I don't know why, but I do

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by LazyEyedFroggie View Post
    Thanks, Royce!! Just one question... How could I screw the hinges onto the plastic container without a possible hazard to the animals inside, and preventing the plastic from breaking? Or possibly I'm just misunderstanding your description Could you draw a diagram and post pictures of it? I follow things a lot easier when I see pictures, I don't know why, but I do
    I'll upload a photo in the morning. To secure the hinge to the box:

-Drill the holes in the box
    -Line up the hinge with the holes
    -Using a rivit gun, and small pop rivits, rivit the hinge to the box
    -Then, you use the small screws to screw the hinge onto the frame.

There are no screws involved in the process of securing the hinge to the box.

If you do not have a rivit gun, you could always use screws, or 1/4" x about 1" long bolts, and cover the ends inside with a piece of styrofoam.

~Royce

wesleybrouwer

When i got to much offspring, i raise some froglets in the plastic storage boxes.
    I just make a hole on both sides and cover it by glueing very fine mesh on it.
    For the offspring i use a lot of leaflitter so they can hide and forage for food between it.
    Never have problems opening the top lid, they just go on with their bussiness or dive between the leaves.
    I think it is not the best idea using a curver box for housing a frog permenantly,
    you are better of getting a viv for that.
    Looking trough the sides of a plastic container gives far less vissibility anyways

LazyEyedFroggie

Alright, I think I understand now... I'll have to use the screw method though unless I get my hands on a rivet gun
    I definitely agree that glass vivariums are much better than the plastic storage boxes for quite a few reasons, but I just don't fancy the top-opening enclosures.

Thread Information