Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet Help for my Pacman :)

Flumper

Default Diet Help for my Pacman :)

hey guys,

I am a new frog owner and i have just had my baby pacman frog for 2 weeks and i have a nice little tank for him and the temperature is at around 75 to 80 F and his moisture levels are kept around 70 to 80%. I feed him every other day and on the days i do feed him i normally give him 2 large superworms (one in the morning and one before bed). When i first got him i would put crickets in but i never noticed him eating them but they would disapear so im guessing he would eat them. I just bought some earthworms and will see if he likes them tomorrow morning i always sprink him with minerals and calcium to keep him healthy. I have never seen him poop yet though, is that a bad thing?

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Diet Help for my Pacman :)

Quote Originally Posted by Flumper View Post
    hey guys,

I am a new frog owner and i have just had my baby pacman frog for 2 weeks and i have a nice little tank for him and the temperature is at around 75 to 80 F and his moisture levels are kept around 70 to 80%. I feed him every other day and on the days i do feed him i normally give him 2 large superworms (one in the morning and one before bed). When i first got him i would put crickets in but i never noticed him eating them but they would disapear so im guessing he would eat them. I just bought some earthworms and will see if he likes them tomorrow morning i always sprink him with minerals and calcium to keep him healthy. I have never seen him poop yet though, is that a bad thing?

thanks
    Superworms are bad if fed to often. The chitin that their exoskeleton is made up of is not digestable and can cause impaction(severe constipation) which can result in death if not passed. They should be fed a variety of foods. Crickets,earthworms,and dubia cockroaches should be used as the frogs staple food source. Superworms,mealworms,waxworms,and pinky mice should be fed sparingly. Superworms,mealworms,and waxworms can be fed to your frog once a week if that. Mice(when your frog is large enough to eat them) should only be given no more than once a month if at all.

If you want to see if he/she needs to poop you can soak him/her in luke warm de-chlorinated water with 2 drops of honey disolved in the water.

Temps need to be 80 to 85 during the day and 75 to 79 at night. Babies and juviniles day time temp should be no higer than 82 and at night no lower than 78.

Try the soak and keep me posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to Frog Forum Dyson! Yep, superworms are not a good staple and have a high fat content too. My Pacman diet is based on Canadian Night crawlers (best Pacman food IMO) and crickets (no larger than distance between eyes) dusted with Repashy's calcium every other feeding and multivitamins once a week. By the way; not sure if I read it right, but are you sprinkling the frogs food, or the frog itself? Dubias are good too and plan to start a culture myself in Spring.

How long you had the frog and have not seen poop? Also; how long is frog? Asking because feeding schedule and quantity should match frog size. A baby or juvie can eat daily but as frog grows it can be feed every other day (when it reaches close to 3 in.). Take care and good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Flumper

well hes probably only 2" big and i sprinkle his food not him :P i just put him in his water dish to see if he will poop. I have had him for 2 weeks today and i have never seen him poop yet. I am going to start feeding him nightcrawlers everyday since crickets seem to be to fast for him right now. I will keep you posted!

Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

well hes probably only 2" big and i sprinkle his food not him :P i just put him in his water dish to see if he will poop. I have had him for 2 weeks today and i have never seen him poop yet. I am going to start feeding him nightcrawlers everyday since crickets seem to be to fast for him right now. I will keep you posted!

Thanks
    You can break the hind legs off the crickets to make them easier to catch. This way they can't jump. He needs to soak for no less than 10 minutes.

Flumper

Ok I will try breaking the legs, and i think he only peed in his pool and he was only in there for about 5 min then he just hopped back to his spot like everything was fine so i guess hes happy with his spot. I am going to feed him an earthworm tomorrow. I will upload photos of Bubba if you guys want to see him and his setup.

Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok I will try breaking the legs, and i think he only peed in his pool and he was only in there for about 5 min then he just hopped back to his spot like everything was fine so i guess hes happy with his spot. I am going to feed him an earthworm tomorrow. I will upload photos of Bubba if you guys want to see him and his setup.

Thanks
    You're welcome. We definetly want to see pics. Be sure that you cut the worms into appropiate sizes about 1 inch to 1 1/4 inch pieces.

Flumper

Well this morning i offered Bubba a earthworm and i cut it so it wasnt to big for him and he just stared at it and didnt even make an attempt to eat it. Maybe hes not hungry right now but i will try again later tonight and if that does not work i will just throw in a bunch of crickets before bed since i know he gets out of his burrow at night and wonders around.

Flumper

Heres his set up and hes pretty burrowed he was like that all day for some reason.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]

Heres his set up and hes pretty burrowed he was like that all day for some reason.
    These are nocturnal frogs so being burrowed and hiding under plant cover to sleep during the day is normal.

Flumper

Good news! hes eating dusted crickets and seems to be enjoying them i will keep you guys updated, thanks for all the help!

Flumper

one more question on feeding days how many larger crickets should i feed him? Like 3 in the morning and 3 later in the afternoon?

Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

You are very welcome

Nationality
    [United States]

one more question on feeding days how many larger crickets should i feed him? Like 3 in the morning and 3 later in the afternoon?

Thanks
    How large is your Pac? SVL(snout to vent length)?

Flumper

he is just a little over 2 inches

Nationality
    [United States]

he is just a little over 2 inches
    Do not feed him large crickets. The heasds are undigestable and may be hard to pass if too large. Half inch to 3/4 inch crickets should be correct size. Feed him 4 per night. You don't have to feed him 2 at night and 2 in the morning. You can offer them all at once.

Flumper

Bubba finally too a dump haha i was kinda worried for a bit but this morning we wasnt sitting in is normal burrow we made a new one and i didnt know why until i saw the giant poop in his old one :P

Flumper

Bubba hasnt eaten in 2 days, well i havent witnessed him eating in that time. I offer him food every night and he hasnt taken any for 2 days now I am going to try again tonight and hopefully he takes it. His temp is at 80 F and his humidity is at like 70 all the time so i dont think hes stressed and plus hes under his log. I will keep you guys updated.

Nationality
    [United States]

Bubba hasnt eaten in 2 days, well i havent witnessed him eating in that time. I offer him food every night and he hasnt taken any for 2 days now I am going to try again tonight and hopefully he takes it. His temp is at 80 F and his humidity is at like 70 all the time so i dont think hes stressed and plus hes under his log. I will keep you guys updated.
    Sometimes they won't eat after they shed or have a large bowe movement. I believe that its due to exhaustion, but sometimes they won't eat for a day or 2 for no apparent reason. The adults will do this a lot. Babies and juvies will as well. If you offer food and he/she doesn't eat bust keep the night time temp around 7 for a night and try and keep the humidity at 80 %. Raise his day time temp to 82. Heat helps with digestion and can also spike their appetite.

Keep me posted.

Flumper

I offered him food again tonight and still did not go for it should i take him out from under the log and put him in his own spot? or just leave him there and he will eat when hes hungry?

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information