Thread: Hmmmm Just a taste,

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Talking Hmmmm Just a taste,

Last night when it was feeding time I unburied Loki's head which I have to do sometimes because if he buries all the way he over sleeps Doesn't happen a lot , but occationaly. Well after he popped his head out I began to move some more substrate away from his face and mouth which he doesn't mind. While I was finishing up with the substrate he desided to taste my finger. Lol! He didn't bite or try to grab hold he just reached out with his toungh and tasted my finger then sat back in his hole and whipped his mouth like "NOPE" Haha it was cute. I've never been bitten and neither of my frogs are aggressive twards me at all. I guess he was either curious as to what my finger tasted like or I just wasn't feeding him fast enough. Both Loki and Grif have such different and awesome personalities.

Its funny because both of them know my hands and fingers aren't food and they won't eat from my hands because of this. I guess he was just curious

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Hmmmm Just a taste,

Lucky you! Stilgar (ABF) targets my fingers on purpose while being feed crickets from tweezers.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

BigBlue83

thats cool, my albino is stuck up and not accustomed to the move from the herp store to my home. i unburied her yesterday and pulled her from full submersion. at the herp store they fed her every other day. i had her about two days and she hadnt eaten. Well i took the tongs and tryed to offer her a cricket. wouldnt take it. so i offered her a little feeder fish didnt want it. so i dropped three more crickets in her tank, sprayed the tank with water and closed it back up. when i whent down last night she was hanging out in the covered portion of the tank. i covered half the tank with a towel to keep heat and to give her privacy. this morning she was back to being fully submerged, however found a nice pc of poop in her water dish. out of the 4 crickets it seems she ate three of them. Oh by the way i took that moss out.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Haha...Hmmm so he was just sampling then, finger food...lol (sorry couldn't resist lol). Don't want them getting a taste for human .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue83 View Post
    thats cool, my albino is stuck up and not accustomed to the move from the herp store to my home. i unburied her yesterday and pulled her from full submersion. at the herp store they fed her every other day. i had her about two days and she hadnt eaten. Well i took the tongs and tryed to offer her a cricket. wouldnt take it. so i offered her a little feeder fish didnt want it. so i dropped three more crickets in her tank, sprayed the tank with water and closed it back up. when i whent down last night she was hanging out in the covered portion of the tank. i covered half the tank with a towel to keep heat and to give her privacy. this morning she was back to being fully submerged, however found a nice pc of poop in her water dish. out of the 4 crickets it seems she ate three of them. Oh by the way i took that moss out.
    Some take longer than others to get used to their new home. Good that you took the moss out. She may be a secret eater which is not uncommon. Especially in Pacman frogs. Be sure that the crickets didn't burrow into the substrate. They are natorious for doing so. You can never just assume that the frog is eating. If you can next time you feed her try and catch her in the act without her knowing you're there. Just to be certain. There have been many who have come to the forum with dying frog because they assumed that it was eating just because they couldn't find the food items the next day.

Her using the water dish is good though. She was thirsty and utilizing her water dish and being out and about at night means she is starting to get used to her new home. Exploring the new home like that is normal. Hopefully the next feed will be seen by you.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Lucky you! Stilgar (ABF) targets my fingers on purpose while being feed crickets from tweezers.
    Lol! Wow! He must really not want your hands near him. Not uncommon for Pyxies to be that aggressive though. Maybe he is just trying to show dominance over you

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Haha...Hmmm so he was just sampling then, finger food...lol (sorry couldn't resist lol). Don't want them getting a taste for human .
    This is the first time he's ever done that. He never tries to bite me or my fiance. My only guess is that he was curious. I can whipe Grif's mouth with my finger and she will just sit there. If she has any left over shed skin on her face I can whipe it off too and she doesn't mind at all. Loki is getting used to me helping with any skin that occationaly stays on his face. Usually where they can't reach like between their eyes. They don't have bad sheds like that often though. I'm really glad that they are used to me so much that they don't get stressed when I have to move them around or feed them. Grif is so used to me because I had to handle her a lot when she got sick and stopped eating. I had to force feed her everyday to everyother day for 2 months.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thats awesome Grifthegreat, I do believe with animals, what you put in with care and time you get back. Its that silent respect . My oldest frogs are nearly 9 years old and raised from Tads. They always amaze me and I think they frogs are smarter than people think .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    Thats awesome Grifthegreat, I do believe with animals, what you put in with care and time you get back. Its that silent respect . My oldest frogs are nearly 9 years old and raised from Tads. They always amaze me and I think they frogs are smarter than people think .
    There is no doubt that they are smarter than they are given credit for. They remember things and know routines Grif and Loki both know mine and my fiance's voices and will turn to face us when spoken to. Grif even talks back with little popping sounds. If she is grumpy the popping noises are loud They know when feeding time is. Clearly they are not as smart as we are' but in some ways they are smarter. Survival in harsh environments where we would surely die they can thrive. I believe that they like the attension given to them. Of course there are those that do not. All depending on their personality. Mine make me smile everyday. A couple of minutes ago Loki desided to sing Lol! He isn't supposed to be up for 3 more hours

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Lol! Wow! He must really not want your hands near him. Not uncommon for Pyxies to be that aggressive though. Maybe he is just trying to show dominance over you
    No idea what's up with me and frogs, he, he, he. Stilgar is very mischievous and the unnamed C. cranwelli is afraid of me. Both live in nice habitats, are un-handled, treated nicely and fed well. I have better luck with my large cichlids and some tarantulas that become hand tame and can even pet them. Like you stated, it is probably just their way of being and my frogs are not as human loving as yours. Read here there's a lady that has a male African Bullfrog that will croak when he sees her... thought that was awesome too.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    No idea what's up with me and frogs, he, he, he. Stilgar is very mischievous and the unnamed C. cranwelli is afraid of me. Both live in nice habitats, are un-handled, treated nicely and fed well. I have better luck with my large cichlids and some tarantulas that become hand tame and can even pet them. Like you stated, it is probably just their way of being and my frogs are not as human loving as yours. Read here there's a lady that has a male African Bullfrog that will croak when he sees her... thought that was awesome too.
    I believe the handling although frowned upon and supposed to be done only when necissary is part of the reason that Grif is so tame or acustomed to me. Lokionly doesn't mind being handled within his home. Once you take him out he freaks out. So soaking him is a challenge. They are only handled when necissary so I fallow their correct care. I've always been well liked by animals and I love them. Probably has a lot to do with it too.

That is amazing that the woman's Pyxie croaks when he sees her. He must love her and her attension

Spedly4life

HAHA, that was how my old pacman came to its untimely demise. It bit my dad while we were feeding it, and my dad pulled back on instinct thowing my froggie into the glass, i never saw him eat after that, i asume he was internally injured but now i have my fantasy frog, who is amazingly awsome, I do say so myself.

Thread Information