Thread: Using Hygrotherm, what do you have for the heating device?

nlopez

Question Using Hygrotherm, what do you have for the heating device?

I just got my Hygrotherm in the mail!!!

In the directions, it describes using a ceramic heater (which I haven't gotten yet) or heating mat for the heating device. I was planning on using my infrared lamp, since this is what I use to regulate ambient heat in the tank now. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Using Hygrotherm, what do you have for the heating device?

Quote Originally Posted by nlopez View Post
    I just got my Hygrotherm in the mail!!!

In the directions, it describes using a ceramic heater (which I haven't gotten yet) or heating mat for the heating device. I was planning on using my infrared lamp, since this is what I use to regulate ambient heat in the tank now. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!
    I have my lights on a seperate timer that has day night settings. I mostly use the Hygrotherm to regulate the humidity. I believe that since it has a photosensor that when it detects enough light that it will automaticaly switch to your day time settings and may turn on your light too. There are 2 plugs. I believe that the second plug with the sun picture is for your heating units. If you are home to turn the light on then this should not be an issue. I have a timer made by zilla for my lights that has 8 outlets. 2 day/2 night/ and 4 constants. I have my frogs heat pads(UTHs) in the constants and I switch the lights when the day ones go out. I don't have an elaberate setup. I have plans later to make further use of the Hygrotherms abilities but haven't got around to it yet. This is how mine is in use as of right now. You could do the same, but I already had the timer beforw I got the Hygrotherm so I made use of it.

Its only flaw is that it only has 2 outlets. Other than that it is accurate when regulating humidity for sure. If it was to get too hot and you were to have cooling fans I. Am confident that it would kick them on as well as the fogger. Ultimately the settings are up to you. Just keep them within the optimal range for your frog and all should be fine. It takes some getting used to when it comes to setting it though.

Keep me posted.

nlopez

I was thinking of leaving my light independent too, because I wasn't sure if Nugget needed it to be on. I had only been using the infrared light to regulate his heat since my house is so cold, but with the hygrotherm it turns off the light once his temp is met. Should I put the light on independently, or is it okay if it's off when he is warm enough? He gets his daylight/night cycle with natural daylight.

Nationality
    [United States]

I was thinking of leaving my light independent too, because I wasn't sure if Nugget needed it to be on. I had only been using the infrared light to regulate his heat since my house is so cold, but with the hygrotherm it turns off the light once his temp is met. Should I put the light on independently, or is it okay if it's off when he is warm enough? He gets his daylight/night cycle with natural daylight.
    Since infrared bulbs don't really effect their nocturnal activities it may not be a problem. It is possible that the light kicking on and off could stress him out a little. Not only this but it also takes a little time for the bulb to warm up to produce the heat so there will be a delay before it begins to raise his temps again. The bulbs life will be greatly reduced from being turned on and off so often during the night and day. It would probably be best to keep it seperate. Just incase.

nlopez

Thanks for the advice. I am in love with my Hygrotherm already. This + Reptifogger is probably the best investment I have made for Nugget yet.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the advice. I am in love with my Hygrotherm already. This + Reptifogger is probably the best investment I have made for Nugget yet.
    They do work great with the Hygrotherm. Always having the right humidity helps out a lot. They have much better sheds too.

Thread Information