Thread: Finding my frog a freind

zig3y

Default Finding my frog a freind

Hey there, haven't been on for a couple weeks. I have had my frog Monty, a juvenile whites tree frog, for about a month now and I am looking to get a bigger tank for him but also with a bigger tank I am looking for a friend for Monty. I am not worried about the tank but the biggest concern I have is finding Monty a good friend, I would like to maybe get a more rare frog to put in the tank with Monty but I don't know if there is a special morph or any rare types of whites tree frog out there. It would be wonderful if someone could let me know if there is a rare whites tree frog out there or another type of tree frog that I could put with Monty that would be a good match. I have heard thing like a Blue Dumpy frog works but I am not sold on the idea of a blue Dumpy. Please keep in mind I am not looking to bread frogs I am just simply looking for another frog to have. thanks very much and remember I am a newbie so correct me as much as you wish!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Finding my frog a freind

First of all, I just want to make something clear, just in case. If you are getting another frog, it should be because you want another frog, not because you think your current frog needs a friend, because he simply don't. If anything, it's someone to compete for food with. He will not benefit from another frog, but then again, he will not suffer from it either in any way, as long as it's another White's, which brings me to the next point. If you want another frog, it should be another White's tree frog, not another species. There are a few variations of White's. Here's the one I know of:
    "Ordinary" White's
    Albino White's
    Blue phased White's (just a little more blue in it's skin)
    Blue eyed White's (I thought this was just someone misspelling blue phased, but apparently it's a variation where the eye-colour is a bit different)

Also remember to quarantine the new frog (at least 30 days, more if you can) before adding him to the ordinary enclosure. This is to prevent any disease to transfer from the new frog to your old, which might kill them both. If the quarantined frog shows any kind of illness during the period, it'll not only spare you old frog, it'll also be easier to treat him correctly.

I hope you find what you are looking for, and hopefully someone else can add a little more useful information for you!

zig3y

No worries about getting another frog as a "friend", I honestly want another frog, thanks for the advice!

mim

yeh u should listen to the advice given, u really dont want to mix frog species. i currently have two whites and as soon as i can afford it im goin to upgrade to a 90cm tank. im then goin to add another two whites since theres gonna b so much room. i plan to use the current smaller tank as a quarantine for the newer frogs. i think u should do this and then sell the small tank. thats wot i plan to do anyways. good luck

JHansson514

I agree with what was said above and that the new frog needs to be a White's. If it were a different species, even if they have the same environmental requirements, frogs all produce a different type of toxin from their skin. The toxins from one frog may bother the other frog and vice versa. Even if the frogs never touch, the toxins would be in the water dish and decorations, etc. Besides, a male and a female pair can be fun to watch. Calling to each other and what not. It may sound crazy, but I believe may pair really do love each other!

Thread Information