Thread: Handicap Leopard Frogs

Sahara Blue

Default Handicap Leopard Frogs

Hi everyone,

I currently have 2 handicap leopard frogs. One is missing both legs below the knee and the other is missing one full leg and limited use of other leg due to a break. They seem to be happy for the past 2 years in captivity since finding them on my property but I would be happier knowing that they are able to fully enjoy their environment, which leads me to my posting. Does anyone have suggestions on making my vivarium handicap friendly?

Thanks,
    Sahara

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Handicap Leopard Frogs

Hi there Sahara, Sounds like a couple of very well looked after frogs that are lucky to have such a caring keeper. I would suggest carpet Moss as it is nice and soft. Im not really sure how yours guys get around but if they can climb make sure the surfaces they are climbing are smooth. I would also make it very easy for them to have access in and out of the water. Im not too familiar with this species of frog. How are they getting around their enclosure and im assuming you hand feed them?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wow! Caring is right. Keeping 2 special frogs like this would be difficult. They are a semi aquatic species also known as the Grass Frog because they can be found in tall grass. Especially after a heavy dew. Defintly need a water source that there is no possible way they could drown. Also the carpet moss sounds like a good ides so as the crawl dragging their bellies they don't get all scratched up.

Sahara Blue

Thanks for the suggestions. Once I have some spare change to upgrade their tank it will definitely be a more "handicap" friendly environment. When I found them in the state that I did, I was shocked they didn't die. Despite their injuries they healed quickly and their appetites never seemed to suffer. I don't hand feed them. They manage to catch whatever I put in their tank and have grown. I'm guessing they're content because I do hear them croaking during the evening hours. They seem to carry on as if they still have their limbs

Thread Information