Thread: P. Hypochondrialis or P. Azurea

Geo

Default P. Hypochondrialis or P. Azurea

Can someone please explain how to distinguish between P. hypochondrialis and P. azurea. I purchased a Tiger Legged Monkey Tree frog a couple of months ago from a local petstore. Actually more of a rescue as he had an injury on his side as it seems he was kept with other frog species in a large display terrarium and got injured at some point. For the longest time he was a mocha brown, moved very little and didnt eat all that much. The wound is healing and slowly color is starting to reappear in the area rather then the almost translucent skin tone that was there previously. He has also become a bit more active the last week or so and now perches on the top branch of the small ExoTerra terrarium I got for him. I am curious to figure out which species he is. I will provide a photo shortly but was wondering how to typically tell the difference. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Geo; January 14th, 2012 at 01:30 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

fluffypanda

Default Re: P. Hypochondrialis or P. Azurea

there is a great article all about these guys in the 2012 Annual REPTILES Magazine. its hard for me to tell the difference in the picture but he almost looks like a mix between the two

Geo

Well it has been about 2 months since Tigger, my Tiger Legged Monkey Tree Frog (Phyllomedusa HypoChondrialis), came into our lives. He was "rescued" from a local petstore where he had a huge section of right side missing (flesh was torn off, muscle could be seen underneath). I wasn't certain if the little guy would make it but 2 months later side side is completely healed and the colouration / pattern that is distinctive to tiger legs has returned. He is also more active now and seems to be quite alert regarding what is going on around him. He also seems to like to pose for the camera lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

c0urt maRie

He is so pretty! I love the markings!@

Quote Originally Posted by fluffypanda View Post
    there is a great article all about these guys in the 2012 Annual REPTILES Magazine.
    anyone has the full reference or even better a copy of this article?

Thread Information