Thread: Help with new White's?

esheldon

Default Help with new White's?

We have had a RETF for about a year and really love it but my daughter wanted a frog in her own room. We set up a terrarium for a new RETF but she saw a White's when we went to the store and fell in love yesterday. The store employees said the setup was the same so we brought home a White's. She's a lovely thing, about 6 months old, but this morning (her first morning here) she is on the floor of her terrarium, is clearly awake, and isn't really moving much. She's huddled in the corner of the terrarium. I'm not sure if she's eaten. From what I've read here, the temp may be a bit warm for her? Humidity is about 75% and temps are at 80'.

She has a water dish that is bigger than she is. We treated the water like we would for our RETF. I'm not familiar enough with White's to know if its OK for her to be on the ground but this is such strange behaviour for a RETF that I'm pretty concerned about it!

She had a few crickets in her cage yesterday and there is at least one there still. Should we just give her privacy and let her settle in? Why is she awake in the day?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with new White's?

Hi
    Congrats on the new frog. I would suggest bringing the temps down a little and humidity down to about 60 - 65 percent. Normal nighttime temps should be about 68 -70 and daytime temps 75 - 78 degrees.
    Have ample climbing, perching, and places he/she can feel hidden. It will take some time for your daughter's new frog to settle in so below is a list of suggesstions I like to provide for the newly acquired tree frog:

1. Place the tank in a quiet room and not in direct sunlight
    2. Cover three sides of the tank and remove any night lighting.
    3. Ensure their environmental needs are met such as temperature and humidity.
    3. Ensure water is either chlorine free (bottled spring) or treated tap water.
    4. Limit the times you enter the tank to only when changing water and adding or removing crickets.
    5. Monitor humidity and temperature and mist once to twice daily.
    6. Provide enough natural accents to allow for hiding, climbing, and perching above the substrate. Since your frog lives in trees, they are rarely found on the substrate and prefer to move from leaf to vine to branch to explore the tank.
    7. Slowly remove covered sides over a few weeks to let them become accustomed to their surroundings.
    8. Ensure the crickets provided are no longer than the width of the frogs head.
    9. Monitor the frogs activity and weight. If your frog moves around at night in the dark and soaks or sits at the water dish edge, then he/she is doing fine. If a physical visual condition is seen, then its time to worry.

and finally..... relax. That is what your frog needs to do and you should too.

esheldon

Default Re: Help with new White's?

Thank you!

Before reading this, we talked to some amphibian owners who felt the cage was too short. (We were planning to get a young RETF and it would grow bigger in this tank until it could join our others. It was only 12" high. Instead, the White's was so big, she was really crowded in there.) We invested in a much larger terrarium yesterday and put in tons of natural accents, a climbing branch and vines, etc. I've taken your advice on the humidity and temps and we've moved the frog to the bigger terrarium. Now we'll give her peace and quiet to settle in. I'm hoping that moving her was the right thing to do. Thanks so much for your reply!

Thread Information