Thread: Not eating ( Whites Tree Frog )

xeonic

Default Not eating ( Whites Tree Frog )

Just posting this bit of info in case it helps another person.

I have had 3 Whites Tree frogs one is Two years the other is 1 year and the other passed away at 6 Months.

Two of my frogs stopped eating roughly at the same time. the 6 month stopped eating for about Two months, And I didn't force feed hoping he was eating at night. Till he started to get spasms, like hiccups. I began to force feed him crickets only to have him pass away a Week later.

Shortly after he passed away my second male stopped eating for roughly a month. He would turn away food I placed in front of him. Though he seemed healthy, active at night no singes of stress but loosing weight. I began to feed him a recipe my vet gave me which is intended for Gecko's when they stop eating. I force feed him the recipe for a week or so. Then I starved him for two night's and plopped a super worm in front of him. He ate it right away and since then has been eating almost anything I plop in front of his face, which he never has really done for me. Now he is nice and plump.

This is the recipe I force fed.

In a blender combine:

1 can of Hills A/D pet food (available at vet clinics)
    1/4 - 1/3 cup ensure (not chocolate)
    1 Jar baby food (squash)
    1/4 - 1/3 cup pedialite
    2 tablets or contents of 2 capsules of milk thistle (herbal supplement food found at most drug stores)
    1/2 tsp of calcium powder and herp vitamin powder
    1 large handful of meal worms, add slowly while mixture is blending.

Puree all ingredients until completely smooth, and poor the contents into ice cubs trays and freeze. Store cubes in a zip lock bag until ready to use, and then thaw one at a time and store in fridge for 2-3 days.

Using this mixture, draw a full eye dropper and place a drop on the gecko's nose. It will lick it off, and as it does, slowly squeeze out a little at a time. Most gecko's love this food and will lap it up.

The last part obviously doesn't work with frogs. I used a tin piece of plastic I obtained form my vet to open the frogs mouth, then my Wife would squeeze a little in his mouth, making sure it doesn't go into his lungs. I would feed him a full eye dropper each day. This is a Two person job, and I recommend you sit on the floor when you try this, your frog will make attempts to jump out of your hand.

I hope this helps the next person who's frog wont eat and displays no singe of sickness. How ever this should not replace taking your animal to a Vet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

donnatek

Default Re: Not eating ( Whites Tree Frog )

I heard that if you feed superworms to these frogs, the superworms my bite him on the inside. Not sure if this is true however this is what my petstore has told me. I feed mine crickets and mealworms. Thanks for the recipe, sounds like something that I may want to try should I have any issues

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by donnatek View Post
    I heard that if you feed superworms to these frogs, the superworms my bite him on the inside. Not sure if this is true however this is what my petstore has told me. I feed mine crickets and mealworms. Thanks for the recipe, sounds like something that I may want to try should I have any issues
    Supperworms do have a powerful bite and I have heard stories about them chewing through a frogs gut. A lot of people will smash the head of the Superworm so they can't bite. External bites can become infected also. Best to be safe than sorry. Also should only be given as a treat and this inclueds Mealworms since Superworms are actually a giant Mealworm. The chitin that there exoskeleton is made from cannot be digested by the frog and can cause impaction. Once a week is the most they should be given if that.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Supperworms do have a powerful bite and I have heard stories about them chewing through a frogs gut. A lot of people will smash the head of the Superworm so they can't bite. External bites can become infected also. Best to be safe than sorry. Also should only be given as a treat and this inclueds Mealworms since Superworms are actually a giant Mealworm. The chitin that there exoskeleton is made from cannot be digested by the frog and can cause impaction. Once a week is the most they should be given if that.
    I agree about everything you said, but I just want to make one thing clear. A superworm is not just "a giant mealworm". Superworms are Zophobas morio while mealworms are Tenebrio molitor, which means they are not even in the same genus. However, they are in the same family, which is the Tenebrionidae family.
    Once again, I agree about the feeding frequency and the potential danger when dealing with these feeders.

Thread Information