Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost one of my Green and Golden Bell frog Tadpoles :(

Jess

Default Lost one of my Green and Golden Bell frog Tadpoles :(

It goes to show the difference, breeder vs pet shop. I have had absolutely no problems with my Whistling Trees Frog Taddys which were from a breeder, my Green and Goldens were from a Pet store. Admittedly, the one which died did have a bit of a twisted back (which I didn't notice until I got home) still sad though.
    Last edited by Jess; January 10th, 2012 at 10:46 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Lost one of my Green and Golden Bell frog Tadpoles :(

Im so sorry Jess

Jess

Thanks Ebony >hug<

Sorry for your loss.
    I bought 4 GaGB tads from the shop 1 died the day after it came out of the water and another one is a deformed frog (won't grow).

Jess

Sorry to hear that Luke .

Jess

Sooo...I went back to Animates, thinking I'd just get one Froglet, which ended up as 2 Froglets :P.

Introducing... yet-to-be-named #1 and yet-to-be-named #2...
    Name:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  54.0 KBName:  IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  46.2 KB

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Aawww..too cute :-).

AWWWWW the first one looks like my Camo and the 2nd one looks like a cross between Jabba and Tim Tam.
    I'm jelous lol.

Jess

Thanks guys . Kinda felt sorry for the Pet Store worker though...he had a devil of a time trying to get them :P hehehe.

Haha there's a skill to catching frogs.

Jess

Especially the littlens :P.

Dehumaneyez

that sucks, sorry to hear that

14. This member thanks Dehumaneyez for this post:

Jess

Thanks Dehumaneyez

I found if I put my hand in a claw shape over them they don't move and you can scoop them up.
    \Maybe that's because they're used to me and aren't bothered by me in the slightest unless I make a big sudden move even then though just do little jump outta my way. Jabba is really tame I can just prop her front end up with a finger and she then walks onto my hand and will sit there perfectly fine.

Jess

He was using a fish net. Was totally thinking at the time that he'd be better off using his hands, which is what I do (Obviously I cool them down with water first). The babies are a bit more jumpy for me, but once they're on my hand they're still until I put them where I need them to be.

Nationality
    [United States]

Congrats on your new frogs and sorry for tadpoles Jessica!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Jess

Thanks Carlos

I went to Animates for the first time ever yesterday.

I had a look at the tadpoles there was Brown Tree froglets in a big tank one was sat on the edge of the bowl but when it saw me it jumped back into the water with all the others. Their set up was a bit bland it needed way more vegetation but I suppose atleast they had the basics (the best shop set up I've seen is in Pet Planet Dunedin it's a ginourmous log in the middle with rocks sticking out of about 8inches of water with water plants and a water filter. The Brown tree frogs in it were fat and looked in great shape).

Then there was a big tank of all 3 species we can keep the first thing I noticed was a dead southern bell frog tadpole on the bottom then I looked closer and saw a dead brown tree frog tadpole with half it's tail eaten floating and 3 tadpoles with their back legs, they were sat next to each other with bent backs the brown tree frog tadpole had a hunched back and was breathing but not moving and it's tail was bent in two places. The other two were GAGB tadpoles and had tails bent in 3 places a hunched back and were on their backs but breathing. There was also a Southern bell frog tadpole I thought was dead but after a couple of mins it very slowly swam on its back up to the surface then sank back down. Maybe shops aren't the greatest place for frogs. I was going to rescue some tadpoles but thought better of it as they would most likely die as most were in poor condition and only about 10 were in good shape I also have nowhere to put them atm.

On a positive note there was an adorable pomeranian x shetland sheep dog puppy at the shop.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Its very disheartening to know that the pet shops do this and does not reflected well to the buyers on how the conditions should be when keeping these animals. Unfortunately this goes on all over the world. Animates is a well known franchise and I guess know about most of the animals they stock but don't have a clue when it comes to frogs. I have stopped going there as ive seen many bad situations when it comes to frogs. Unfortunately I guess its all about money to them .

Jess

Totally agree Luke and Ebony. Though I will say that it's not just frogs that they have no idea (or don't care) how to house...any of the small 'disposable' pets are treated about the same. I've talked to them many times about how they keep their Rats (pine shavings are a no-no, as it'll give them respiratory problems, and keeping baby males and females together...rats can breed at 4wks of age, sometimes sooner), and I know I'm not the only one who has spoken to them about someof these things. But they don't change .
    On a brighter note, I went to a great pet shop the other day, Pet World. There animals looked really good, it was really a pleasure to see a pet store that looked after their animals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information